Browser for IP-Cams which need ActiveX and are not supported by new Browser generations anymore

Yppps

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

Since I've been looking for what feels like an eternity for a solution to configure old IP cameras via a browser under Windows10 , I would like to share my solution.

If a camera has to install an ActiveX plug-in, this fails with all modern browsers because - for security reasons - they no longer support ActiveX. With Firefox and Opera as well as an old Internet Explorer version, access was still possible in some cases, but fonts were often not displayed correctly or not at all, no live-stream access or whatever.

My solution for Windows 10 is: Safari (yes, the Apple Browser)

I was able to download Safari V5.1.7 from 2012 by chip.de and it still works great on Windows 10.

Live view and configuration run without any problems.

Of course, I would like to warn you against going online with such an old browser! The browser probably has more holes than my 30-year-old army socks! So please only use for internal network access!!!

Wanted to share this here, because I've had help on a number of occasions, but I couldn't find a solution to this topic in the entire forum.

Keep it running!

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have recently bought an Empire Starlight from Amazon.
I only buy from Amazon because returns are instantly approved and credit is given within 5 hours of return to the local UPS store.
During the last 2 weeks I purchased an Empire cam 4 times. I returned everyone except for the very last one for the same reasons.
They came with an IP setting of 192.168.1.xxx:37777.
I have 4th one still in my possession and am determined to fix it.
I tried every browser mentioned here, even Edge in Internet Explorer mode. All have issues.
I even emailed Andy from Empire. They sent me a link to a you tube video that was running in hyper speed and was 15th the normal dimensions ( I assume this was due to carelessly sending it via internet connection which compressed everything). I have seen this happen to me once before about 10 years ago).

Is there any way to get an earlier version of internet explore with active x?
Or is there another way?
Or should I just give up?

I will not buy from anyone except Amazon because I have had 2 really bad experiences.

Dee

Yppps

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently bought an Empire Starlight from Amazon.
I only buy from Amazon because returns are instantly approved and credit is given within 5 hours of return to the local UPS store.
During the last 2 weeks I purchased an Empire cam 4 times. I returned everyone except for the very last one for the same reasons.
I have 4th one still in my possession and am determined to fix it.
I tried every browser mentioned here, even Edge in Internet Explorer mode. All have issues.
I even emailed Andy from Empire. They sent me a link to a you tube video that was running in hyper speed and was 15th the normal dimensions ( I assume this was due to carelessly sending it via internet connection which compressed everything). I have seen this happen to me once before about 10 years ago).

Is there any way to get an earlier version of internet explore with active x?
Or is there another way?
Or should I just give up?

I will not buy from anyone except Amazon because I have had 2 really bad experiences.

Dee
You can buy Anpviz Cams by Amazon. Easy to configure (I think it's Hikvision but not sure) and you get access with Chrome and Opera. Only problem I found is that the email notification service supports SSL and TLS only, STARTTLS is not supported. But that's not a real problem as my NVR supports STARTTLS.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're running Win10 try typing "explorer" in the search bar. That should bring up a list that includes good, old, Internet Explorer. Bring that up and simply type in the IP of the camera (assuming your PC is on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet). The port number is inconsequential.

If you can't get to Internet Explorer, download and install Pale Moon browser in the 32 bit version. You can access the camera through the same IP that would be used for Internet Exxplorer.

I have almost two dozen Dahua cameras, from old 2MP bullets to the latest 4K-T and have never, ever, had a problem accessing the camera GUI to configure it. I've never used a port number when accessing the camera and can't understand why you're entering a port number.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you're running Win10 try typing "explorer" in the search bar. That should bring up a list that includes good, old, Internet Explorer. Bring that up and simply type in the IP of the camera (assuming your PC is on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet). The port number is inconsequential.

If you can't get to Internet Explorer, download and install Pale Moon browser in the 32 bit version. You can access the camera through the same IP that would be used for Internet Exxplorer.

I have almost two dozen Dahua cameras, from old 2MP bullets to the latest 4K-T and have never, ever, had a problem accessing the camera GUI to configure it. I've never used a port number when accessing the camera and can't understand why you're entering a port number.
I think the reason a lot of things don't work any more is stricter security. Many things I did years ago just don't work anymore.

It is not only the port number it is also the IPv4 number.
IPv4 number is 192.168.0.1 and I already have a camera on 192.168.0.108.
The camera I am trying to change comes with 192.168.1.108.

I am thinking of getting a second card, setting it with 192.168,1.1 and putting all my cameras on it.

Should that work?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the default TCP port for all the Dahua/Amcrest cams I've ever used.
And 192.168.1.108 is the default IP for all of those same cams...you can hard reset it to insure that.
  • Install Pale Moon 32 bit browser as suggested by sebastiantombs.
  • Note your PC's settings for its NIC (Ethernet).
  • Give your PC TEMPORARILY a static IP of 192.168.1.22, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, plug it directly into the cam or the same switch as the cam and bring up the cam's webGUI by typing 192.168.1.108 into the browser.
  • Change the cam's IP to your liking.
  • Put your PC's IP back where it was.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, that was all explained in their own post before they jumped into this one hoping to hear something different LOL....

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or use the Dahua IP config tool. It can be used across subnets. See the dahuawiki.com
Your problem is user error.
Have used it for years, but it is possible that I am using it wrong.
I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

First thing I did was to disconnect all my cameras from the POE switch.
Then I looked up my cameras to on Blue Iris and found one with 192.168.0.108
Then I disconnected that and all other (4 more) from the POE switch.)
The I connected the new Dahua camera to the POE switch.
Then I clicked on Modify in Dahua Config Tool.
Then the Initialized IPC-T544T-ZE appeared with 192.168.1.108.
Clicked check mark in heading selected all underneath (the only one)
Clicked Batch Modify IP
Kept Static
Entered:
Start IP 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1
Clicked OK
Nothing happened, nothing changed.

Can you tell me what I did wrong?

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is the default TCP port for all the Dahua/Amcrest cams I've ever used.
And 192.168.1.108 is the default IP for all of those same cams...you can hard reset it to insure that.
  • Install Pale Moon 32 bit browser as suggested by sebastiantombs.
  • Note your PC's settings for its NIC (Ethernet).
  • Give your PC TEMPORARILY a static IP of 192.168.1.22, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, plug it directly into the cam or the same switch as the cam and bring up the cam's webGUI by typing 192.168.1.108 into the browser.
  • Change the cam's IP to your liking.
  • Put your PC's IP back where it was.
My pc address is 192.168.0.50
My IP4 address is 190.168.0.1

Also just remembered when I bought my current motherboard it came with 2 NIC cards built in I have been using the 2.5 Gig. It also has a 1GIG.

Do you want me to use the 1 GIG instead, if you do, how should I set it?
Also forgot to mention that I just got a second 8 port switch, so when a port goes out, I'll have a backup to plug into.
I really appreciate your expert help and would like to configure this the way you would.
How would you?

Yppps

n3wb
Reaction score
Have used it for years, but it is possible that I am using it wrong.
I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

First thing I did was to disconnect all my cameras from the POE switch.
Then I looked up my cameras to on Blue Iris and found one with 192.168.0.108
Then I disconnected that and all other (4 more) from the POE switch.)
The I connected the new Dahua camera to the POE switch.
Then I clicked on Modify in Dahua Config Tool.
Then the Initialized IPC-T544T-ZE appeared with 192.168.1.108.
Clicked check mark in heading selected all underneath (the only one)
Clicked Batch Modify IP
Kept Static
Entered:
Start IP 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1
Clicked OK

So your network is configured 192.168.0.xxx and the cam ip is 192.168.1.xxx? If yes just change your IP4 subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 (Windows network (LAN) settings). Now you can access the cam gui by typing 192.168.1.108 in your Browser, go to network settings (after login) and change the cam ip to 192.168.0.241 (first cam), 242 (2nd), 243 (3rd) and so on.

After that's done set the subnet from your local lan port back to 255.255.255.0 and it's done.

Yppps

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, and remove the marker from DHCP in the cam network settings. So your cam IPs will be static.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

Maybe. After you initialize the camera and before you try to change its IP, you need to go to Config Tool's Search Setting and change the password to match the camera's password. Sometimes changing the IP address doesn't work until the 2nd try. If you're using Config Tool, do not mess with the computer's IP configuration. If not using Config Tool, you must change your computers IP setup unless it already happens to be on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.