Blue Iris UI3

jmh139

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing this with IOS 16.4? Fails on both my iphone's with the same error. From a reddit post:

Updated my phone to 16.4, no longer was able to view UI3 in either chrome or safari. BI installed version was 5.7.1.2. My wife’s phone, still on 16.3, continued to work properly.
Updated BI to 5.7.2.4, still no working video in 16.4. Wife’s phone on 16.3 still works.
If you’re using iOS, maybe wait to update.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@jmh139 If you are using direct-to-wire streaming, try without it. Otherwise, go to UI3's main menu > UI Settings > Video Player, and change the H.264 Player to JavaScript so as to bypass Apple's broken decoder. Do note the JavaScript player is less efficient and it may not keep the screen alive currently because it isn't considered a video player by the browser.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm helping out my brother with his UI3. He's getting this:

1680467424192.png

Oddly it's only happening when he tries to connect via the local IP address. When he logs in via the DDNS wan name for the server, it comes up just fine. It's specific to this win10 pc. Other pcs and devices on his lan have no issue connecting either LAN/WAN interface.

Can you think of anything that would cause this type of error?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm helping out my brother with his UI3. He's getting this:

View attachment 158958

Oddly it's only happening when he tries to connect via the local IP address. When he logs in via the DDNS wan name for the server, it comes up just fine. It's specific to this win10 pc. Other pcs and devices on his lan have no issue connecting either LAN/WAN interface.

Can you think of anything that would cause this type of error?
My assumption is Blue Iris is returning some kind of ungraceful error response to the camera list request, and for some reason UI3 is not able to report the details properly to you.

If you can open the browser dev tools on the console tab and reload the page, it may happen to tell you. Otherwise if you can use the Network tab to inspect all the /json requests, it will probably become fairly obvious what is wrong. But that could be a struggle for someone with no idea what they're looking at.

There's a chance this could be fixed by deleting all stored site data for the hostname that is failing (the hostname being the local IP address). Here's how you could do that with Chrome. Other browsers would likely be very similar.

1680479570977.png

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My assumption is Blue Iris is returning some kind of ungraceful error response to the camera list request, and for some reason UI3 is not able to report the details properly to you.

If you can open the browser dev tools on the console tab and reload the page, it may happen to tell you. Otherwise if you can use the Network tab to inspect all the /json requests, it will probably become fairly obvious what is wrong. But that could be a struggle for someone with no idea what they're looking at.

There's a chance this could be fixed by deleting all stored site data for the hostname that is failing (the hostname being the local IP address). Here's how you could do that with Chrome. Other browsers would likely be very similar.

View attachment 158962
Here's the error we get on lan but not on wan...

Attachments

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@erkme73 From your screenshots, is BI5 web interface supposed to be at port 8882? That's not typical. The default is port 81.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@erkme73 From your screenshots, is BI5 web interface supposed to be at port 8882? That's not typical. The default is port 81.
He has a nonstandard port. It's been that way for years with no issues. Both internal and external use the 8882 port. It is this way to prevent brute force attempts on standard ports. It really cuts down on attacks. Good eye...

Keep in mind it is only this new client Win 10 PC that is having this issue. It's on all browsers. So it seems to be systemic to the machine. Firewalls are all disabled.

Other PCs and devices on the lan are working 100%.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@erkme73 Empty camera list is a rare error but I do see reports of it occasionally. It strongly suggests a bug in Blue Iris or a misconfiguration in Blue Iris.

Go to Blue Iris Settings > Users and check the permissions of whatever user is being used. It could be the Anonymous account, or it could be some other account, I can't tell from what you've showed. Possibly the settings got corrupted, like maybe it is limited to specific groups but no groups are selected? I don't know.

It is a long shot but if investigating the user permissions doesn't help then make sure you try deleting the site data for 192.168.1.102:8882. It can be done as described in my earlier post above or via the developer tools (do this from a tab that has loaded the address you want to wipe site data for):

1680537204217.png

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. I've forwarded the link to your post. I'll follow up with you either way here.

johndball

n3wb
Reaction score
One of the mods sent me over to this thread. I'm experiencing the same issues but haven't found a resolution. This is a direct copy/paste from the other thread (which I guess will be closed).

Welp, my Blue Iris went belly up with iOS. Not sure the culprit. Tried various Blue Iris versions but nothing seems to help. Ruled out Cloudflare by bypassing Cloudflare altogether and connecting directly to my Blue Iris server. iOS update maybe?

Error persists across iOS devices and device reboots. The main page loads but then all video freezes. Works fine on Firefox, Chrome, and Edge (Chromium) on desktop.
Does not work on Firefox, Chrome, or Edge on iOS - all iOS browsers get the same error.

Blue Iris version = 5.7.3.0 (tried every version back to 5.6.2.10)
Cloudflare =bypassed (direct connect to Blue Iris web server on TCP 81)
Stunnel = bypassed (direct connect to Blue Iris web server on TCP 81)
OS = Windows Server 2022
iOS = 16.4

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of the mods sent me over to this thread. I'm experiencing the same issues but haven't found a resolution. This is a direct copy/paste from the other thread (which I guess will be closed).

Welp, my Blue Iris went belly up with iOS. Not sure the culprit. Tried various Blue Iris versions but nothing seems to help. Ruled out Cloudflare by bypassing Cloudflare altogether and connecting directly to my Blue Iris server. iOS update maybe?

Error persists across iOS devices and device reboots. The main page loads but then all video freezes. Works fine on Firefox, Chrome, and Edge (Chromium) on desktop.
Does not work on Firefox, Chrome, or Edge on iOS - all iOS browsers get the same error.

Blue Iris version = 5.7.3.0 (tried every version back to 5.6.2.10)
Cloudflare =bypassed (direct connect to Blue Iris web server on TCP 81)
Stunnel = bypassed (direct connect to Blue Iris web server on TCP 81)
OS = Windows Server 2022
iOS = 16.4
Did you try @bp2008 's recommendation here and in the following responses?

johndball

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you try @bp2008 's recommendation here and in the following responses?
I'm not using direct-to-wire streaming. However I cannot find "Video Player" under the BI main menu. Can you screenshot where "UI settings" is located?

"Otherwise, go to UI3's main menu > UI Settings > Video Player, "

johndball

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not using direct-to-wire streaming. However I cannot find "Video Player" under the BI main menu. Can you screenshot where "UI settings" is located?

"Otherwise, go to UI3's main menu > UI Settings > Video Player, "
I misunderstood. I was looking for a setting on the Blue Iris server.
On iOS - go to the three vertical dots, select "UI Settings --> Video Player section select H.264 and change to javascript".

Just a heads up for the developers, the error in the screenshot above prevents accessing the three dots and UI settings. You have to keep tapping on the error enough times to get it to pause for a few seconds to get into the UI settings of the mobile client.

Reaction score
I misunderstood. I was looking for a setting on the Blue Iris server.
On iOS - go to the three vertical dots, select "UI Settings --> Video Player section select H.264 and change to javascript".

Just a heads up for the developers, the error in the screenshot above prevents accessing the three dots and UI settings. You have to keep tapping on the error enough times to get it to pause for a few seconds to get into the UI settings of the mobile client.
The BlueIris dev refuses to acknowledge the fact his code needs to be tweaked and is blaming apple for breaking the decoder on iOS 16.4.

I am running the dev beta iOS 16.5 and can confirm blueiris is still broken and the dev needs to fix his code. We’ve had 0 reports of a broken decoder from anyone else.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a good point. I've fixed the toast message layout for the next UI3 update so it doesn't overlap the top bar. I'm working on improving the video player error messages so they offer some guidance on how to work around such errors without requiring the user to seek help via forums/email.

johndball

n3wb
Reaction score
The BlueIris dev refuses to acknowledge the fact his code needs to be tweaked and is blaming apple for breaking the decoder on iOS 16.4.

I am running the dev beta iOS 16.5 and can confirm blueiris is still broken and the dev needs to fix his code. We’ve had 0 reports of a broken decoder from anyone else.
It's a delicate balance. I'm not a developer but I work with them every day so I know their frustrations... and they get more frustrated when my team finds vulnerabilities in their code. :p One thing may break when iOS gets updated, then another when Android gets updated, and trying to get "all systems to play nice" is a huge pain in the a$$.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I know very little about the issue on iOS since I don't own any modern Apple devices. My assumption is they (Apple) changed their Media Source Extensions (MSE) implementation such that it no longer accepts mp4 fragments that do not begin with a keyframe. Such a change would go largely unnoticed because the overwhelming majority of MSE usage is for VOD where all the video is already prepackaged in chunks that always begin with a keyframe. Low latency live streaming (such as what Blue Iris's web server does in ALL video streaming cases, even playing recordings) cannot function with such a requirement. The efficiency, the video delay, and the responsiveness would suffer enormously.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried other iphone browsers, brave, firefox and duckduckgo and they all get the same error when trying to show a camera.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm on BI 5.6.2.3 and iOS 16.4.1 with iPhone 14 Pro Max and have no issues.

Did anyone figure out what is causing this?

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on BI 5.6.2.3 and iOS 16.4.1 with iPhone 14 Pro Max and have no issues.
Are you sure. I thought mine was fine too but I noticed when I clicked on a camera the image was static i.e. it wasn't playing the video it was just showing a picture (time never advanced).

I'm on 5.7.3.0