Blue Iris UI3

nonono

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to only make the UI3 noise/zoom for people without taking vehicles out of the AI settings? In other words, I want to keep vehicles in my timeline, but I only want UI to get my attention for people. I know this is possible with pushover and other alerts, but I'm specifically asking about UI3 or through some configuration of BI to accomplish the same.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a way to only make the UI3 noise/zoom for people without taking vehicles out of the AI settings? In other words, I want to keep vehicles in my timeline, but I only want UI to get my attention for people. I know this is possible with pushover and other alerts, but I'm specifically asking about UI3 or through some configuration of BI to accomplish the same.
@nonono One approach is to connect your UI3 to MQTT.

Then in BI5, configure an "On Alert" action to trigger for "person" object ONLY to send an MQTT to UI3. See screenshot here for example "On Alert". It doesn't have the right MQTT msg for your situation.
On Alert.png

Look at UI3 help page for the correct MQTT for audio playback.

UI3 help.png

Related, personally, I don't use this approach because I prefer more complex automation. All BI5 AI events are sent to Home Assistant (my home automation) where I have some automation to take these events and/or other home sensors to trigger a number of actions including audio alerts, lights, sirens, etc...

BI5 + a modern home automation system is really the way to go when you need complex situational logic.

Last edited:

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to have a camera go full screen (like you clicked on it) when motion is detected, then return to all group camera display after a few seconds, I thought I had this feature in ui3 working, but I cant seem to find it anymore.

Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to have a camera go full screen (like you clicked on it) when motion is detected, then return to all group camera display after a few seconds, I thought I had this feature in ui3 working, but I cant seem to find it anymore.

Thanks.
Yep, sure can.
Long press the icon fourth from the right.
1678041383645.png

You can also read the UI3 help by clicking on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner.

nonono

n3wb
Reaction score
I use UI3 on mobile and I bookmark it to an icon on my home screen. Works great.

One feature nest has is that I can do the same and deeplink to a specific camera. This way I can go straight to a given camera quickly from my home screen.

Is there a URL scheme to deep link to a specific camera on UI3?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you open a specific camera, the URL in your address bar will change to include the necessary URL parameter to load that camera when the page loads. The "Add to Home screen" function is not compatible with this unfortunately. But you should be able to bookmark the exact URL you want, and hopefully add that bookmark to your home screen as a widget or something.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hello all, any idea why my live stream and clip playback plays choppy? The UI3 Server Status shows FPS fluctuating between 10 and 15 and the stats for the live video stream is attached below. But if I remote into the BI machine and watch the streams from BI is plays perfectly smoothly. All of the components are wired including the cameras, BI machine, and the remote viewing machine is logging via LAN.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 165549.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how you are remoting in, it may do a better job of realtime video encoding than Blue Iris does. 4K video streams are difficult to encode, and in almost all cases Blue Iris is only using software encoding whereas some other programs, especially commercial remote desktop stuff, will be properly using hardware accelerated encoding.

My own system plays 4K streams rather choppy through the web server, it is simply because the CPU in the BI machine can't keep up with the demand so frames are dropped.

jmh139

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing this with IOS 16.4? Fails on both my iphone's with the same error. From a reddit post:

Updated my phone to 16.4, no longer was able to view UI3 in either chrome or safari. BI installed version was 5.7.1.2. My wife’s phone, still on 16.3, continued to work properly.
Updated BI to 5.7.2.4, still no working video in 16.4. Wife’s phone on 16.3 still works.
If you’re using iOS, maybe wait to update.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@jmh139 If you are using direct-to-wire streaming, try without it. Otherwise, go to UI3's main menu > UI Settings > Video Player, and change the H.264 Player to JavaScript so as to bypass Apple's broken decoder. Do note the JavaScript player is less efficient and it may not keep the screen alive currently because it isn't considered a video player by the browser.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm helping out my brother with his UI3. He's getting this:

1680467424192.png

Oddly it's only happening when he tries to connect via the local IP address. When he logs in via the DDNS wan name for the server, it comes up just fine. It's specific to this win10 pc. Other pcs and devices on his lan have no issue connecting either LAN/WAN interface.

Can you think of anything that would cause this type of error?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm helping out my brother with his UI3. He's getting this:

View attachment 158958

Oddly it's only happening when he tries to connect via the local IP address. When he logs in via the DDNS wan name for the server, it comes up just fine. It's specific to this win10 pc. Other pcs and devices on his lan have no issue connecting either LAN/WAN interface.

Can you think of anything that would cause this type of error?
My assumption is Blue Iris is returning some kind of ungraceful error response to the camera list request, and for some reason UI3 is not able to report the details properly to you.

If you can open the browser dev tools on the console tab and reload the page, it may happen to tell you. Otherwise if you can use the Network tab to inspect all the /json requests, it will probably become fairly obvious what is wrong. But that could be a struggle for someone with no idea what they're looking at.

There's a chance this could be fixed by deleting all stored site data for the hostname that is failing (the hostname being the local IP address). Here's how you could do that with Chrome. Other browsers would likely be very similar.

1680479570977.png

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My assumption is Blue Iris is returning some kind of ungraceful error response to the camera list request, and for some reason UI3 is not able to report the details properly to you.

If you can open the browser dev tools on the console tab and reload the page, it may happen to tell you. Otherwise if you can use the Network tab to inspect all the /json requests, it will probably become fairly obvious what is wrong. But that could be a struggle for someone with no idea what they're looking at.

There's a chance this could be fixed by deleting all stored site data for the hostname that is failing (the hostname being the local IP address). Here's how you could do that with Chrome. Other browsers would likely be very similar.

View attachment 158962
Here's the error we get on lan but not on wan...

Attachments

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@erkme73 From your screenshots, is BI5 web interface supposed to be at port 8882? That's not typical. The default is port 81.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@erkme73 From your screenshots, is BI5 web interface supposed to be at port 8882? That's not typical. The default is port 81.
He has a nonstandard port. It's been that way for years with no issues. Both internal and external use the 8882 port. It is this way to prevent brute force attempts on standard ports. It really cuts down on attacks. Good eye...

Keep in mind it is only this new client Win 10 PC that is having this issue. It's on all browsers. So it seems to be systemic to the machine. Firewalls are all disabled.

Other PCs and devices on the lan are working 100%.