Blue Iris UI3

Reaction score
Hmmm. I just installed UI3-234 and restarted BI server, and when I choose Automatic on my iPhone (iOS 16.4), I still get the Blinking Red Screen of Death. About the UI reports version 234.

But manually setting JavaScript does work around the problem, which is the most important part.
I’m having the same problem with UI3-234. I have iOS 16.4.1. I restarted my BI server, still get that blinking red screen when trying to view the cameras. I use this through an iframe in Home Assistant, so although I can manually change the player to JavaScript, it reverts back as soon as I close Home Assistant and re-open it.

Reaction score
Figures. Did they even test it before releasing WebCodecs support??! Unlike HTML5 video, WebCodecs was designed specifically for use cases like UI3's. Next UI3 release will have WebCodecs blacklisted from automatic selection on IOS too.
Thank you! Just installed the latest and it’s defaulting to JavaScript now.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
. . . and now UI234 gives me this error when attempting to load UI3 in Chrome/macOS:

1682111043062.png

Rolling back to an earlier version now . . . .

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
. . . and now UI234 gives me this error when attempting to load UI3 in Chrome/macOS:

View attachment 160666

Rolling back to an earlier version now . . . .
Rolling back UI3 won't help with that. This is a Blue Iris bug because Ken refuses to use a proper JSON encoder. You probably have a quotation mark in a name field you added or changed recently.

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Rolling back UI3 won't help with that. This is a Blue Iris bug because Ken refuses to use a proper JSON encoder. You probably have a quotation mark in a name field you added or changed recently.
I’m having the same issue when trying to load the webgui from my iPhone and I do not have any or had any quotation mark anywhere.
Both iPhone and blue iris is running the latest version

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hadn't changed anything in the config lately, but allowing BI to update itself fixed the problem. ‍

Last edited:

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay now im getting a new error when viewing alerts from my iPhone. It says something about running out of memory…
My server has 16gb ram and gpu 2gb, triggered the error while looking at the server and no issues or high usage on hw memory..

Attachments

dagnabit

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, back with more details on the issue of error in screen shot... "Unable to contact Blue Iris server." when trying to view system log.

I can confirm that it happens on my Android devices using Chrome, and on a laptop running Linux Mint with Firefox.

Went into the direct BI interface on my BI computer, opened log file, cleared, and then I could view log on all devices.

every single other selection in the UI3 menu will display on all devices, it's only when the log file gets large that it won't display.

Just an interesting anomaly, I don't really expect a solution, just something I noticed in case you're interested in trouble shooting...

View attachment 149659
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm getting this error as well on UI3 but also when attempting to view on mobile. I attempted to clear the log file completely. It worked for the first 1 or two entries, then failed again. The file was only 2kb and 25 rows.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay now im getting a new error when viewing alerts from my iPhone. It says something about running out of memory…
My server has 16gb ram and gpu 2gb, triggered the error while looking at the server and no issues or high usage on hw memory..
Those error messages are from UI3, not from Blue Iris. It would be your iphone running out of memory. I doubt it is actually out of memory, but rather probably just reaching a browser-imposed limit. If the resolution of the stream is very high, try a lower resolution as that should directly influence memory usage in the most significant way availabile.

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those error messages are from UI3, not from Blue Iris. It would be your iphone running out of memory. I doubt it is actually out of memory, but rather probably just reaching a browser-imposed limit. If the resolution of the stream is very high, try a lower resolution as that should directly influence memory usage in the most significant way availabile.
Looks like the issue was a software (ether blur iris or UI3) bug as I’m no longer seeing the errors on version 5.7.5.2..

gwithers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am getting a peculiar situation that keeps popping up recently with UI3. I have deleted and regenerated the database a couple times but and I keep getting a situation where the Alert list shows all the alerts for a single camera with the same time stamp and an error that states that the "automatic alert list update got too many items, Refreshing clip list now", this error repeats. If you go back to a group view, no alert list error is produced. I'm running UI3 236 and BI 5.7.5.3 and this phenomenon just started in the last few days on a new install of BI. Again, this persists even after database regeneration, deletion, etc. and the group view shows the alerts properly time stamped. I get the error in Chrome and Edge on Windows on multiple different computers. Any thoughts on places to look for the cause of this? I searched but couldn't find anything on this.

Update: Turns out the problem was with some of the alert images I brought over to the new installation. Removing them seems to have cleared up the issue. Of course all the older alerts are gone now but I am not exactly sure what was the issue per se but the DB wasn't regenerating alerts properly and getting the time stamps correct was a problem. I've migrated to new installations of BI in the past and this process worked without any issues. This time, not so much. Problem solved more or less and seems to be related to BI and generating the DB from the transferred alerts images. Like it was getting the time stamp for the day and time the alerts was copied to the new location and not the creation date.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am getting a peculiar situation that keeps popping up recently with UI3. I have deleted and regenerated the database a couple times but and I keep getting a situation where the Alert list shows all the alerts for a single camera with the same time stamp and an error that states that the "automatic alert list update got too many items, Refreshing clip list now", this error repeats. If you go back to a group view, those same alerts show in the list with the proper time stamp and no alert list error is produced. I'm running UI3 236 and BI 5.7.5.3 and this phenomenon just started in the last few days on a new install of BI. Again, this persists even after database regeneration, deletion, etc. and the group view shows the alerts properly time stamped. I get the error in Chrome and Edge on Windows on multiple different computers. Any thoughts on places to look for the cause of this? I searched but couldn't find anything on this.
That is pretty bizarre. I tried on my main system here and no weirdness was observed with the alert list with a single camera selected. You should email Blue Iris support since the bug is almost certainly on their end.

ibrujo

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing this with IOS 16.4? Fails on both my iphone's with the same error. From a reddit post:

Updated my phone to 16.4, no longer was able to view UI3 in either chrome or safari. BI installed version was 5.7.1.2. My wife’s phone, still on 16.3, continued to work properly.
Updated BI to 5.7.2.4, still no working video in 16.4. Wife’s phone on 16.3 still works.
If you’re using iOS, maybe wait to update.
====
Hi
I am having a similar issue, everything is working, except I am not able to connect with the iPadOS or iOS 16.5 blue Iris application.
I didn't change anything and it stop working.
Did you fixed your issue?
Thank You
Mario

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
====
Hi
I am having a similar issue, everything is working, except I am not able to connect with the iPadOS or iOS 16.5 blue Iris application.
I didn't change anything and it stop working.
Did you fixed your issue?
Thank You
Mario
For the "Key frame is required" error, just update Blue Iris to latest again. UI3 was updated to apply the current workaround automatically.

It may break again when iOS 17 comes out, and if so I will update UI3 again.