An Awesome Camera

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Trade restrictions between US and China?

+1. The PC I'm typing this on I built in 2012. It is slowing but still runs rings around my 1 year old CCTV System which uses a brand new i5-11400 with 16gb DDR4!

Buy quality you get quality. Hence why I always build all my pc's. More expensive, but you can control everything that goes in there. Buy cheap you get cheap. There's nothing inherent in MAC's to make them last any longer. The only real difference is the OS. At the end of the day, all the basic components of an Mac are very similar to a windows pc and many are the same especially those post the move to ARM.
No way an 11 year old pc runs better than a new i5-11400 (though thats already a 3 year old processor).
I built my last pc in 2009. to my knowledge the person I gave it to is still using it. Makes no financial sense here in the US. The windows pro alone is 100-150. All my machines are hp or dell business units purchased on ebay for a fraction of the original cost...they are bulletproof.

Galt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well last night I had 2 false triggers. 2 motion activated lights went off (bugs likely), wondering if that triggered the AI. It was a cold, wet night so not sure if the critters are out and about as much as usual in the summertime. Wife is concerned about raccoons and the like going fishing for her Koi.

Porch Camera 01-06-2024 12-41-36 AM.jpg

Love the OS wars discussion. I've used windows, arch linux, debian linux, gentoo linux, freebsd, qubesOS, and now MacOS which is based upon freebsd. I use pfsense for my router (freebsd) and I've just built a TrueNAS storage appliance (also freebsd). Last year I migrated a 15 year old win7 hard drive to a modern motherboard, cloned it to a new SSD and upgraded it all to win10 without changing any of the installed programs (wifes old PC who wanted to use sw that was obsolete and not upgradeable). was a major PITA but it worked. I sometimes wonder if MSOFT made windows easy for organizations to migrate and manage workforce computers and Apple made it easy for people to use computers.

They have all served their purposes for me over the years. I finally settled on the macmini to replace my linux box as my personal PC because its security architecture is overall better than anything out there.

cattlecreek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What gets me is it's 2024 and some software can ONLY run on windows or vice versa. I guess a well rounded person should have one of each!

Thanks for posting photos, I'll keep watching.

Galt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got 1 false positive last night - Something triggered the motion activated light on the right of the screen. Still havent seen a critter. I. might have to record a whole evening and speed watch it to see if I'm missing events.

1704638167297.png

Galt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Caught an Owl. During the day time - I've been gett triggers on humans walking. That shouldn't happen as i only have the Animal check box for resnet50 set. I haven't emailed Ben yet to see whats up. I have 28 days left on my 30 day trial. I'm also looking into BI as I have a PC buying around that can run windows.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 5.53.40 AM.png

Reaction score
False triggers you say?
I can get hundreds overnight if it is snowing or if there are a lot of flying bugs in the summer. That's OK-- I also have my cams as much to catch wildlife as to document potential threats or crime.

1704720210430.png

PS-- not sure why my CPU is running close to 30%. It is normally at about 8%~12%... I will have to look. This is on a 4th gen I-5 from about 2015. This cam is a 5442.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm new here, but I wanted to share my experience with the Dahua PTZ6C2M-45X I recently installed. As a cattle farmer, my barn is centrally located in the pasture. I chose to mount the camera on the barn's backside and have been using it for two weeks. The results have exceeded my expectations. My primary goal was to monitor my cattle and observe deer and other wildlife. While researching on this forum, I noticed several comments praising its nighttime performance. True to their word, the camera and it's IR lights perform exceptionally in complete darkness, illuminating everything in view. Impressed by its capabilities, I've already ordered a second unit from Andy to mount on the front of the barn and cover the front pasture and my home. For anyone needing a reliable long-range camera that excels in dark conditions, the PTZ6C2M-45X is outstanding.
(Cattle was at 230 yards and Deer 140 yards.)
This thread has gone off track a bit. Any new info or pics on the Dahua PTZ6C2M-45X?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
False triggers you say?
I can get hundreds overnight if it is snowing or if there are a lot of flying bugs in the summer. That's OK-- I also have my cams as much to catch wildlife as to document potential threats or crime.

View attachment 182047

PS-- not sure why my CPU is running close to 30%. It is normally at about 8%~12%... I will have to look. This is on a 4th gen I-5 from about 2015. This cam is a 5442.
All that motion of the snow is causing the CPU to go up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not using BI motion detection-- all camera based. Or are you saying it is working harder to encode & store BI video with all of the motion?
Oh - it shouldn't be that appreciable then I wouldn't think.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@cattlecreek, would you mind posting a screenshot of the Setting>Information>Version tab? I'm curious to see what the latest version is now.

cattlecreek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This thread has gone off track a bit. Any new info or pics on the Dahua PTZ6C2M-45X?
Not really, other than I use it daily to check cows and look for deer. My other one will be here today to install on the front of the barn.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Caught an Owl. During the day time - I've been gett triggers on humans walking. That shouldn't happen as i only have the Animal check box for resnet50 set. I haven't emailed Ben yet to see whats up. I have 28 days left on my 30 day trial. I'm also looking into BI as I have a PC buying around that can run windows.

View attachment 182042
I may have missed it in a previous post, but are you using @CanCuba 's runway navigation floodlights?

Last edited:

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @cattlecreek, I'm seriously considering this camera. It's the only PTZ @EMPIRETECANDY lists on his website in the sub $1000 range that looks to provide the IR range and pixel density out to the 600-700 ft distances I'm looking for.

With your targets of interest being 4-legged I don't suppose you've played around with auto tracking have you? I haven't found much in the way of 1st hand information about the auto tracking on this camera that isn't circa 2018 or so.