An Awesome Camera

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This is getting interesting. Any chance there's a wired input module that can trigger BI?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is getting interesting. Any chance there's a wired input module that can trigger BI?
The Shelly Pro's can send/receive the same HTTP commands as the Wi-Fi Shelly 1's I mention here:

Last edited:

cattlecreek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This can easily be done with blue iris, cpai and a $120 dollar pc. Aside from the cheaper startup costs, you will be able to chose from various available models and if you choose, on a per camera basis. There are models trained for a range of specific animals (though I dont know how well the accurately differentiate between them which is highly dependent on the angle and quality of your image as well as the model- this is why security spy lumps them all in as animals). You will also receive and can save images with the target object labeled in a box - this might be possible with SS but the posted images dont show this.

Security spy is a good product if you are stuck on mac, but as with most software geared towards apple heads, its very limiting with a focus on ease of use and looking pretty.

You will also be able to integrate with your hardwire alarm in various ways.
I can't imagine using anything other than the Apple or Mac. But I come from the video editing world, where Mac is king, without a doubt.

cattlecreek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's unfortunate....I cant imaging using a mac...i come from a dont piss away my money world...
Not to start an argument, but you have no idea what you're missing. A Mac will last longer 3 PCs. It's all relevant

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to start an argument, but you have no idea what you're missing. A Mac will last longer 3 PCs. It's all relevant
LOL, nonsense tell that to the more than 20 pc's I have running blue iris two are 2012 machines (intel gen i processors) about 15 from 2013-2014 the rest 1-5 years old. All these were used ebay buys that were a year or less when I got them. All running blue iris 24/7 some under 50% load for many years before blue iris introduced cpu savings with substreams. Tucked into corners, never cleaned, never opened...just keep running. Then I have many office pc's, same thing, just work perfectly.
Even if what you are saying is true, the massive increase in cpu power every few years would make it way smarter to just buy a new pc every 3 years.

cattlecreek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL, nonsense tell that to the more than 20 pc's I have running blue iris two are 2012 machines (intel gen i processors) about 15 from 2013-2014 the rest 1-5 years old. All these were used ebay buys that were a year or less when I got them. All running blue iris 24/7 some under 50% load for many years before blue iris introduced cpu savings with substreams. Tucked into corners, never cleaned, never opened...just keep running. Then I have many office pc's, same thing, just work perfectly.
Even if what you are saying is true, the massive increase in cpu power every few years would make it way smarter to just buy a new pc every 3 years.
And just think, all that I would have been covered with, just one Mac… just messing with you, to each his own.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will say that one of the 2012 dells eventually blew a power supply around 2020....Bought a replacement on ebay for 30 bux...back in business.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I could argue with both of you. For longevity, the PC I'm using now is about 10 years old and I have no current need to replace it. I've handed down older laptops to grandkids that are still going. I've also learned that Macs do have their place. I support a mac mini running video presentation software. It has 3 independent video outputs allowing the whole system to be only a single box with a lot of cables plugged into it, and the mac version of the same software runs rings around the PC version. On the flip side, I really hate Apple's no add-ins philosophy, which I suppose is a benefit for users with zero tech ability. I actually dislike both macs and windows, running linux whenever I'm not bound by an os-dependent app.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It won't last any longer, in fact these days they're likely to die faster than PCs. Macs do retain their resale value longer because people are will to over pay for old / used macs.

I've used Macs for a long time, but much less so in the last 10-15 years. I lost quite a bit of respect for the company around 2007 with their abysmal handling devices with problems due to bad capacitors and another computer that died about a week out of warranty. The final nail in the coffin for me regarding apple was when they started making the RAM and SSD soldered in all of their computers. The SSD is a wear item. Especially when you don't have enough RAM, the SSD gets hit a lot swapping virtual memory. Buying a mac these days is like buying a brand new truck with re-treaded tires and welded on lug nuts.

It's frustrating watching companies like Dell try to copy Apple's mistakes and ruining things like the XPS laptop.

Last edited:

cattlecreek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using IVS or dumb motion detection? I'll concede that there are some circumstances when dumb motion detection works ok. In my situation with outdoor cameras it's darn close to useless, with so many false detections that what I want to see is totally lost in the noise. IVS works great, unless you're wanting to detect animals, then it's useless on newer cameras. I run somewhat older 5442 cameras with even older firmware that detects animals pretty well, but it's unfortunately the end of the line for newer cameras unless there's some miracle fix like SecuritySpy is sounding like. My enthusiasm is tempered by life's experience that many things that look great at first end up with many negatives, to make the cure worse than the disease.
Honestly, I got it the first of this week and I'm trying to figure it out. I just wish I could find one good video tutorial from a to Z on the set up.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Am I assuming correctly that the recommended BI setup uses substreams for motion detection and AI detection, but still records the full resolution video? And if correct, wouldn't using substreams hamper the AI in identifying small and/or distant animals?

cattlecreek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It won't last any longer, in fact these days they're likely to die faster than PCs. Macs do retain their resale value longer because people are will to over pay for old / used macs.

I've used Macs for a long time, but much less so in the last 10-15 years. I lost quite a bit of respect for the company around 2007 with they're abysmal handling devices with problems due to bad capacitors and another computer that died a bout a week out of warranty. The final nail in the coffin for me regarding apple was when they started making the RAM and SSD soldered in all of their computers. The SSD is a wear item. Especially when you don't have enough RAM, the SSD gets hit a lot swapping virtual memory. Buying a mac these days is like buying a brand new truck with re-treaded tires and welded on lug nuts.

It's frustrating watching companies like Dell try to copy Apple's mistakes and ruining things like the XPS laptop.
All I can tell you is, I have used Macs for video editing for television for many years. They've always been great and lasted a long long time. But Apple the company I hate them. They try to dig every penny they can out of you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I've used Macs for a long time, but much less so in the last 10-15 years. I lost quite a bit of respect for the company around 2007 with they're abysmal handling devices with problems due to bad capacitors and another computer that died a bout a week out of warranty. The final nail in the coffin for me regarding apple was when they started making the RAM and SSD soldered in all of their computers. The SSD is a wear item. Especially when you don't have enough RAM, the SSD gets hit a lot swapping virtual memory. Buying a mac these days is like buying a brand new truck with re-treaded tires and welded on lug nuts.

I dont mind the soldered ram or ssd - I have never been able to wear out an ssd and they are crazy reliable. My issue is the insane premium they charge to order a unit with more storage or memory. In the past it was a quick swap and good to go.
Every laptop I have replaced was due to a faulty battery. Most brands make it impossible to buy a replacement OEM battery after a couple of years. I refuse to place a no name battery anywhere near my lap or for that matter in my home or office. I find a use for a family member or a camera viewing station that doesnt need a battery. Also I like new toys..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I assuming correctly that the recommended BI setup uses substreams for motion detection and AI detection, but still records the full resolution video? And if correct, wouldn't using substreams hamper the AI in identifying small and/or distant animals?
This is correct - if you set blue iris up to use both sub and main streams. Even if you set BI to use both main and sub, you can of course use main streams for ai analysis if you wish (on a per camera basis) - a simple check box allows this.
Personally I use the cameras third stream at 2mp where available as the substream. Small and distant is all relative...certainly accuracy is improved with a better image or using a larger model, both of which will require more cpu...
if you intend to do this on all your 32 cameras with many trigging simultaneously, then you will need a beefier system and or video card. Though CPAI has a model and module for Coral - which when perfected would be ideal.
You would have the same issue with security spy. BI and cpai gives you the ability to adjust what images are sent for ai and what model is used so that you can shift your resources around.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont mind the soldered ram or ssd - I have never been able to wear out an ssd and they are crazy reliable. My issue is the insane premium they charge to order a unit with more storage or memory. In the past it was a quick swap and good to go.
Every laptop I have replaced was due to a faulty battery. Most brands make it impossible to buy a replacement OEM battery after a couple of years. I refuse to place a no name battery anywhere near my lap or for that matter in my home or office. I find a use for a family member or a camera viewing station that doesnt need a battery. Also I like new toys..
They are related problems, especially if someone wants a Mac and doesn't want to pay for more than 8GB RAM. The lack up upgradability would typically become a problem before the SSD actually wears out. I do tell people I know who buy macs these days to act like it was designed to self-destruct and to religiously backup their data.

The battery thing is certainly an issue. I wish there was some kind of incentive for companies to use a more standard / replaceable battery. I am a believer in fire-resistant desks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They are related problems, especially if someone wants a Mac and doesn't want to pay for more than 8GB RAM. The lack up upgradability would typically become a problem before the SSD actually wears out. I do tell people I know who buy macs these days to act like it was designed to self-destruct and to religiously backup their data.

The battery thing is certainly an issue. I wish there was some kind of incentive for companies to use a more standard / replaceable battery. I am a believer in fire-resistant desks.
I didnt know fire resistant desks existed....I see myself going down a google rabbit hole...thanks..

I dont even care if its a standard battery, just make it available to me at a reasonable price...On my latest machine I am stopping the charge at 80 percent, they claim it helps the battery last longer.

I had an XPS back in 2016 or so where the trackpad started to become difficult to press but only occasionally. I soon realized that the battery was swelling and pushing on the bottom of the pad. I called dell and they told me there was a recall on the battery - but the campaign ended the year prior. They simply dont have replacement batteries anymore. I pulled the battery out and gave it away...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didnt know fire resistant desks existed....I see myself going down a google rabbit hole...thanks..

I dont even care if its a standard battery, just make it available to me at a reasonable price.
I mostly meant surfaces like glass or metal over wood or thick enough wood that it's hard to ignite. There are materials that you'd find in a lab that could hold up to an oxy-acetylene torch.

If they could use a more standard battery in more models for longer, keeping it in production / for sale longer would make sense. Of course the MFGs would never do it unless there was some sort of tax credit.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
@cattlecreek Looks like that camera is EOL - in fact everything on Duhaua US website for networked products is EOL.
Trade restrictions between US and China?

+1. The PC I'm typing this on I built in 2012. It is slowing but still runs rings around my 1 year old CCTV System which uses a brand new i5-11400 with 16gb DDR4!

Buy quality you get quality. Hence why I always build all my pc's. More expensive, but you can control everything that goes in there. Buy cheap you get cheap. There's nothing inherent in MAC's to make them last any longer. The only real difference is the OS. At the end of the day, all the basic components of an Mac are very similar to a windows pc and many are the same especially those post the move to ARM.