YouTube streaming

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, what rate are you streaming at. I've slowly reduced it to 1800 Kbps so far and haven't notice anything bad yet. I'll continue to monitor and then drop it until I finally see something bad going on, then go with the last one I was happy with.
At 2500 Kbps now, when I've gone a solid 24 hrs I'll likely drop it, after all it's just a 1080p birdcam.
I've got symmetrical 1GB up/ 1Gb down fiber with no data cap too but no point in streaming higher if it still looks good and lasts when lower.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
First chance I get, I'm going to switch out the cam under the deck with a 180° cam. She likes to look out over the yard from just out of sight to the left and I don't want to PTZ move it as she is pretty jittery (keeps her alive outside being jittery)...

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just dropped it to 1700 Kbps. Looking good but have to wait for some action. YouTube still shows Excellent stream health.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hah! 1 Day 3 Hours 20 Minutes without a hitch. I got the laptop all set up and ready to go and switched over to it quickly enough that YouTube didn't even note that the stream had stopped. Now let's see how the laptop handles it so far as staying connected. OBS is only using 6% CPU on it (yes, broken though it may be, it's light years ahead of either of my desktops)...

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have quite a few livestream cameras out there. The one that has been streaming the longest without interruption has been streaming since 5/12/2021. 984 days. The streaming encoder is a $35.00 raspberry pi.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I corrected mine to 17, not that it matters but I wasn't sure because I kept monkeying with stuff. Plus being distracted by having to fiddle with my #$@& heater. Sometimes it'll just quit heating and it'll get down to 67° in the house before I realize it (it's set for 70°) and I have to power the unit down for 5 mins then back on then all is OK for 5 or 6 hours then it'll do it again. I think it's the 'stat, I have a new one coming next week.
It's a 3 year old, dual fuel central HVAC, will heat with heat pump down to 30° then below that it'll operate on propane instead...works great....until it doesn't. And not all 'stats will work with a "dual-fuel" system from what I've discovered.
30? Wow, my heat pump runs merrily along down to about 12, while still putting out 88 degrees from the register, and cycling on and off every 20 minutes.
It's just a standard nothing fancy heat pump by Amana.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
30? Wow, my heat pump runs merrily along down to about 12, while still putting out 88 degrees from the register, and cycling on and off every 20 minutes.
It's just a standard nothing fancy heat pump by Amana.
This is also Amana, installed Oct. '20 but because it can also burn propane to heat, the installer said they set the 'stat to change from heat pump to gas @ 30 and below and it's more efficient that way...or so he said.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh oh, no live stream on your Bluebird Cam
We had to leave before I got it fixed...just got back about 1300 CT and found out the problem: Blue Iris was ALSO trying to stream as was OBS, I forgot to disable it on the "Webcast" tab. It's streaming OK again now but I'm going to move OBS over to another machine. This BI server is an i5-6400 with 8GB of RAM and it struggles if I run OBS also. Alone it handles 9 cams under 20% but hits 60 to 70 with OBS if I get any motion or if I log in remotely.

I'll likely wait to go live again until the bluebirds start building again, probably early March.

Good to hear you moved yours over successfully!

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
With 24 hours straight, I've now got some numbers. With a 24/7 stream and on a 31 day month plus our normal usage, I'd be using more than 1.5TB/Month and most of that would be with nothing happening. Now I know. Just doesn't seem worth it to me so I shut it down. It was worth it as it was knowledge gained if something with more activity comes up. :)

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, let us know what you name her and post some pics of her curled up on the bed.

:winktongue:
Haha, you're pretty convinced of something that simply is not going to happen. When I was a kid/young man, I spent summers working at my uncle's farm. On a farm, you come to terms about things with animals that city people will never understand (and don't want to). I've done everything for her as an outside cat that I can and she would never be happy as an inside cat anyway. ;)

OH, and we call her, "Kitty"...

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm just a sucker for strays and know how that ends up working in my case. Times a bunch over the years. Had one 'stray' named Kitty too... for like 20 years. lol His favorite place became laying across my shoulders when I was sitting at my desk. Have another now that started that way getting close to about the same age. Bunch of others in between. They don't all end up that way. A few feral regulars come around to hunt that I'll put food out for sometimes that will stay strays.

Yeah, I worked on a farm for a while too. Guy who owned the place was named Jimmy. Jimmy was a stereotypical late 70-something year old southern dirt farmer. One day a little cat showed up and over the next few weeks became his best little buddy. Feeding him, petting it, sitting in his lap all the time and would follow him everywhere. Came in one day and didn't see it. Said Hey Jimmy, where's your cat? He said, "Awwww... It was howling last night and keeping me awake... So I shot it." :wow: :facepalm:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Although it's a PT(noZ) camera, it's a $23 camera. So no WDR and when it switches off the IR once daylight hits, I only get to see hints of movement in there. For $23 though, it's decent enough and is a disposable. If I accidentally smack it with the snow shovel when I'm cleaning off some of the deck, I won't shed many tears ...
Boacat.20240122_081549464.289.jpg

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Coming up on 21 hours of the bluebird cam without a glitch using OBS; I'll move soon off my BI server to another PC, see how it goes.
It worked on my broken laptop without a hitch. I'm thinking you'll find similar results.