YouTube streaming

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I got all the info I need here to easily set up a camera stream to YouTube from BI. My question is, is there any way to stream a group to YouTube directly from BI like can be done with a single camera?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry for hijack, I can't answer that, but did you successfully get a camera to stream to YT either directly from BI or a 3rd party software? Last time I tried after they had made rule changes, I believe I had to have X amount of subscribers and some other BS to be able to stream. Is this not the case anymore?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for hijack, I can't answer that, but did you successfully get a camera to stream to YT either directly from BI or a 3rd party software? Last time I tried after they had made rule changes, I believe I had to have X amount of subscribers and some other BS to be able to stream. Is this not the case anymore?
I was streaming a bluebird cam this past spring/summer to YT directly from BI with no issues except YT being so $%& picky about bitrate, etc.
I had Windows Task Scheduler restarting the cam via a BI HTTP command every hour to help keep it alive...most of the time. Not very reliable and I'm not sure it's any fault of BI.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep, no problem. I left a few of my family check it out. The only thing is, it's just the one cat house. That's mostly dead as when the cat gets in there, about all you get to see is a head moving now and then. With a group, I would set up that cam, the feeding spot/second house cam, the under the deck cam (where she plays a lot), and the front deck cam where we see her coming and going. It'd be nice, but if it's a no-can-do, then so be it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI has a RTSP server function for a year or 2 now. I've tried it with VLC and it works. Maybe I can set up one cam to stream one of my groups to YT, I'll let you know.

BI-RSTP-server.jpg

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that working in VLC as well. I just don't know how to translate that to getting it into YouTube... Also, FWIW, YouTube requires an RTMP url.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The only way I could get it to work is to send the RTSP stream to a Raspberry pi that transcodes the stream to RTMP and allows you to set the RTMP url and stream key. Here is the ffmpeg script I used: /usr/bin/ffmpeg -use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1 -f lavfi -i anullsrc -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp:/username:ppassword/index -tune zerolatency -c:v copy -c:a aac -strict experimental -f flv rtmp:/a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/streamkey

Last edited:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. I tried just about every variation I can think of from what you show there, but never get anything.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't want to have to go with another box, so for now, I'll keep working with what @TonyR has working. I know for sure that a single cam works fine, so...

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe if your account is too new that you need X number of subscribers to get around a time requirement, otherwise you just need to wait for the account to reach the maturation date and you're fine.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I believe if your account is too new that you need X number of subscribers to get around a time requirement, otherwise you just need to wait for the account to reach the maturation date and you're fine.
:idk:I believe I had my account since YouTube was in existence but who knows

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
On the account I'm streaming to, it was Nov of 2020 for me. Different uses, different accounts don't you know... :p

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interesting... Streaming that way bumped the usage on my old 3rd gen I7 up from 20% to 50%.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the same when I tried from BI once. CPU went way up. That could have been my settings since I was just using whatever defaults. In any case, doing it direct from the cam seemed a better way to go.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting... Streaming that way bumped the usage on my old 3rd gen I7 up from 20% to 50%.
Streaming just one of my sky cams to Youtube through BI cranked my CPU usage up quite a bit, and this was even after dumbing the resolution down.