Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I feel like the lights would act as a good deterrent as well as zone control for intruders. If I were to see this on someone’s garage I would approach from the side where I didn’t see it and stay in the shadows. Move low between cars and bushes. Maybe I’m overestimating criminals lol. I would hope they wouldn’t walk right up to the camera, or I guess I hope they do right? Lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
please stop and leave me alone with my good 5442 ... :embarrassed:
I guess you better quit looking in this thread then LOL:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Those of us that have got one of these are seeing at least double the shutter speed that can be ran at night...that is huge.

Hopefully you have enough light where your 5442 is that you wouldn't see the big drastic change that some of us have seen LOL.

Reaction score
I feel like the lights would act as a good deterrent as well as zone control for intruders. If I were to see this on someone’s garage I would approach from the side where I didn’t see it and stay in the shadows. Move low between cars and bushes. Maybe I’m overestimating criminals lol. I would hope they wouldn’t walk right up to the camera, or I guess I hope they do right? Lol
It depends. I have seen perps try and be stealthy. I have also seen them go right up to a cam and give it the finger. But most just pay it no mind and do their respective dirty deeds. At night, they are usually moving and do not stop and pose, but they do not slink along the wall like a ninja.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It depends. I have seen perps try and be stealthy. I have also seen them go right up to a cam and give it the finger. But most just pay it no mind and do their respective dirty deeds. At night, they are usually moving and do not stop and pose, but they do not slink along the wall like a ninja.
I have watched a few videos of people, when a motion light turned on, flood light that is, it blinded them enough to have them see spots and walk into objects. If only thieves were like deer and would freeze/stop in their tracks and stare long enough to get a good JPG capture :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had this cam up now for a couple of days.
Couple of observations, some of which have been mentioned before.
Note: I don't have time to post examples of the following.
  1. H265 on this camera and in the newer firmware for the 5442 series is pretty much worthless. I personally consider that a huge bug that needs addressed. Stuttering video occurs in live video, in video recorded direct to the SD card, and of course in BI. I've not had this problem with H265 with any of the numerous cam's I've tested, until now. I have one of the original IPC-HDW5442TM-AS at my front door, it works just fine with h265 with firmware V2.800.0000000.11.R, Build Date: 2019-12-30
  2. The focus on my sample is not good at all at anything beyond 15-20 feet.
  3. No day/night profile switching, seriously?
  4. I don't not have a 4k monitor to view on, but on a good 1080p monitor, it doesn't look much better than the 5442 that is next to it at 10240 bps.
  5. I have yet to get a decent looking night time picture out of it, the picture is washed out, like the contrast is out of wack, the 5442 beside it, beats it hands down.
My 2cents, it's worth what you paid for it. YMMV
I'll continue to play with it.

@EMPIRETECANDY

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
  1. H265 on this camera and in the newer firmware for the 5442 series is pretty much worthless. I personally consider that a huge bug that needs addressed. Stuttering video occurs in live video, in video recorded direct to the SD card, and of course in BI. I've not had this problem with H265 with any of the numerous cam's I've tested, until now. I have one of the original IPC-HDW5442TM-AS at my front door, it works just fine with h265 with firmware V2.800.0000000.11.R, Build Date: 2019-12-30
  4. I don't not have a 4k monitor to view on, but on a good 1080p monitor, it doesn't look much better than the 5442 that is next to it at 10240 bps.
  5. I have yet to get a decent looking night time picture out of it, the picture is washed out, like the contrast is out of wack, the 5442 beside it, beats it hands down.

@EMPIRETECANDY

you think these issues would have been address earlier no? strange u are having issues with stuttering h265

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns

Sorry to hear you’re having a bad time with yours. What version are you running on FW, is it 6/24 ? If so then as I mentioned a few posts back, my recommendation is to run 6/11 for now. While this won’t fix the performance issue that I reported the other day (latency seen with certain functions like ROI etc that seems to then bog down performance overall), it may assist your image issue (washed out) that you are seeing.

As I reported, one of the things I found with 6/24 early on was the over tweaking Dahua did on the AGC (Auto Gain Circuit) and Auto Iris (between 6/11 and 6/24) under the hood which in turn has a knock on effect of providing a washed out, flat, more noisy image. Due to this I told them not to use 6/24 and instead use 6/11 as a base then fix latency and the other bugs I listed based on that. It would appear though that IF you are on 6/24 that the cams did in fact ship with the non-recommended FW. Might at least be worth trying 6/11 and see if you notice any difference image wise.

As always, if you want me to jump on and take a look I'm certainly happy to help. Worst case I can at least then let you know if its what I saw from the FW or something different.

On the Day/Night profile, I don't disagree that it could/should be added. I think that Dahua was assuming that the Day/Night function was generally used to switch between Non-IR and IR modes and to enable B&W as light changes therefore not needed on a full time color camera. However, the Day/Night auto profile switch IS still useful and my thoughts are that it could be used to trigger not just the night profile BUT setting Illuminators (LED's in this case) to AUTO therefore allowing them to kick in when additional light was needed. If users did not want that functionality they could instead move back to Schedule, Full Time profiles if they wish. I'll mention it in my findings on the 7/09 test FW (that I am reporting any additional bugs I find, back on) and @EMPIRETECANDY could you see if Dahua will investigate adding that back ?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
One more quick update. I generally don't use h265 and instead recommend h264h BUT due to this I hadn't tested it. Therefore i just re-flashed to 6/11 (from the 7/09 test FW) and captured footage at 20,480 (highest bitrate this cam will allow) on all codecs to test and can confirm I do not see the stuttering. I pushed this to a 5216 NVR as well for this test to check playback there and also smooth. Therefore definitely try 6/11 and see if that helps, it was also the version I was using (after the shipping version of 4/30) here for my review.

HTH

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
One more quick update. I generally don't use h265 and instead recommend h264h BUT due to this I hadn't tested it. Therefore i just re-flashed to 6/11 (from the 7/09 test FW) and captured footage at 20,480 (highest bitrate this cam will allow) on all codecs to test and can confirm I do not see the stuttering. I pushed this to a 5216 NVR as well for this test to check playback there and also smooth. Therefore definitely try 6/11 and see if that helps, it was also the version I was using (after the shipping version of 4/30) here for my review.

HTH
this guy is the man.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

@EMPIRETECANDY
In my previous tests of other cameras, the differences between H264 and H265 was a only a few minutes of storage a day, and in showing some videos to a few people (who have no idea what H265 and H264 are) and I treated it like an eye doctor appointment LOL and showed them two videos and said which video looks better, everyone picked the video that ended up being H264, so I just default to H264, but I do have two cameras that look better in H265, so I run those in H265.

1. So when I tested this one, I only ran H264, but based on your comments, I just tried it in H265 like @Wildcat_1 just did, and mine was fine, even in Blue Iris. I am running the version that the camera came with: V2.840.15OG000.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-09
  2. Based on the early videos and commentary @Wildcat_1 provided, I was expecting to see a narrow focus field and was pleasantly surprised that it was more of an infinity focus in my field of view. Mine was soft with me right in the lens making adjustments LOL, but my field of view produces a nice clean focus image.
  3. I agree with this one, I was surprised that isn't there. But at the same, time, this camera is probably the first one that one could run the same settings day and night and then just let the LED auto switch on when needed. When I was testing in the house when I first got it and took it to the basement with everything on default settings, I was shocked how well it performed. I walked past it and motion blur was non-existent. I chalked it up to the light bouncing off the white walls giving a false sense, but we can run this camera with such a faster shutter than other cams.
  4. I'll trade you one of my 5442s for your 4K cam LOL.
  5. Meanwhile I am amazed how well this performs at night. Blows my 5442s out of the water. So much so that I am going to try this where my 5442-Z4E is and see if the digital zoom of the 4K cam is sufficient for that field of view as I would like a wider field of view at that spot. I do agree that with the LED light on, the picture can look a little washed out, especially if there is some light shine bounce like in my sample video. Some field of view may need that LED lighting, but in my temporary location for testing, my best video has been with the LED light off and just the floodlights.
Based on my playing with the camera, I thought it was so well at default that it could be a game changer if Dahua wanted to get into the true consumer market as most of the general public just buys a camera and wants to hang it up and be done and this one has that ability AND the ability to be able to provide usable video at night. Consumer grade products to this point have the just hang it up part down, but they haven't got the part down of providing usable video at night. This camera can do both out of the box.

Maybe you got a defective unit or some firmware junk is still stuck in the memory. I would recommend the ole 3 factory resets and try again. Maybe install the firmware @Wildcat_1 is suggesting.

Last edited:

enilm

n3wb
Reaction score
Where do you get the old firmware from? I wouldn't mind testing different between the 6/11 and 7/9

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting glitch I ran into yesterday.

Looked at camera, thought, hmmm that looks brighter than I had it set, let me go back into camera GUI and see.

Open camera GUI and settings are as I left them.. hmmm.. hit "Refresh" and you see the actual live view reflect the settings.
Log out and Boom! reverts back.

I tried this multiple times with same results when using an exposure range
Day1.jpg
You can see in the clip when i hit Refresh, settings change, when i log out, they revert back. Tried with IE, FF and Pale Moon

View attachment PROBLEM-PaleMoon-4116P_ch1_20210809175954_20210809180026.mp4

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this is a little off subject but may help. H.264 vs. H.265 in the video (movies) world is used in several ways, compression (space/lower bandwidth) and video quality (4K). I have found the space/size between H.264 vs. H.265 has not been a huge savings for me, maybe 25%, where as it is said to be half the size of H.264 but the big advantage H.265 has been for us is video streaming, H.265 takes on average half the bandwidth H.264 does, this helps with crowded slower networks. We mainly now watch H.265 4K videos (movies/tv shows, etc.), rarely use H.264 anymore. Older devices/TV's/Blu-Ray Players, Media boxes, etc. will not play H.265, H.265 takes more processing power, though more and more TVs, players, etc. are supporting it now a days. Presently we are playing our videos via USB Mem. Stick on the latest Roku Ultra Player or sometimes our LG Blu-Ray Player...we got the Roku's for $50 each at Christmas sale and the LG for $100 sale at best Buy., watch for the sales...4K TV's are cheap now a days...

I just got notice yesterday that OSMC (Kodi v19 Matrix) became available this month. I bought a Raspberry 4 when it came out almost 2 years ago and have been waiting to run OSMC (Open Source Media Center) on it to play 4k Videos...I just installed OSMC on it last night so I will be pushing some H.265 videos through it soon to test. All my previous Kodi RPi3's could not handle 4k H.265.

So conclusion, it is really up to the device on how fast it can encode video if H.265 will work properly, H.264 takes less processing power...

This is my 2 cents...

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting glitch I ran into yesterday.

Looked at camera, thought, hmmm that looks brighter than I had it set, let me go back into camera GUI and see.

Open camera GUI and settings are as I left them.. hmmm.. hit "Refresh" and you see the actual live view reflect the settings.
Log out and Boom! reverts back.

I tried this multiple times with same results when using an exposure range
View attachment 97983
You can see in the clip when i hit Refresh, settings change, when i log out, they revert back. Tried with IE, FF and Pale Moon

View attachment 97984
@bigredfish yes that big appears introduced on 7/9 notices that myself and have reported it back. It actually makes multiple changes to the image on the backend which is not good. Will report back when I hear more