Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep we have explained to him that with VBR the bitrate can drop to the hundreds in some fields of view and turn into a blurry mess and then the camera bitrate can't ramp up quick enough with motion and the idea motion is missed.

But some would prefer to have some of the incremental storage savings using VBR over CBR. And in some situations it may work. To each their own.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't posted on here in a while, but this morning I was making some adjustments to my 4k-X and 4k-T cameras and thought I'd post a quick 6 month follow-up to the issue I posted about here on Nov 15, 2022 regarding VBR failure on the 4k-X and the image starting to degrade after several seconds. With both the 4k-X and 4k-T using the same encode settings (H265, 8fps, VBR, Quality 4, Max bit rate 10000, I frame 16), pointing at the same view and basically a static image, the image on the 4k-T is fine, but with the 4k-X the VBR defect where the image degrades into a blurry mess is quite prevalent. The issue occurs regardless of the changing to H.264 encoding, etc.

Hands down the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL I bought blows both of these cameras out of the water, and it has crisp 2-way audio, not the crummy audio of these Dahuas where you are forced to use AAC at max bit rate to have usable audio. It's also in a compact, but larger than 4k-T, turret format,

If you don't need multiple IVS rules with the same function, the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/S is where it's at!
The only issue with the Hikvision is that with human & vehicle detection under motion, is that it still records on any motion, but only alerts on human & vehicle. With smart events, this isn't the case. If you need to use both simultaneously, that's where the issue is.
Hi there, just a shot in the dark since you really like the Hikvision 2387's so much.. I have two i bought brand new 2 months ago. I'm really wanting to go back to Dahua's so if want them, i'll sell them both for $250 + shipping. I still have the boxes, but if I use a medium flat rate box without the original boxes it's like $17. Think it over and let me know. Thanks.
I haven't posted on here in a while, but this morning I was making some adjustments to my 4k-X and 4k-T cameras and thought I'd post a quick 6 month follow-up to the issue I posted about here on Nov 15, 2022 regarding VBR failure on the 4k-X and the image starting to degrade after several seconds. With both the 4k-X and 4k-T using the same encode settings (H265, 8fps, VBR, Quality 4, Max bit rate 10000, I frame 16), pointing at the same view and basically a static image, the image on the 4k-T is fine, but with the 4k-X the VBR defect where the image degrades into a blurry mess is quite prevalent. The issue occurs regardless of the changing to H.264 encoding, etc.

Hands down the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL I bought blows both of these cameras out of the water, and it has crisp 2-way audio, not the crummy audio of these Dahuas where you are forced to use AAC at max bit rate to have usable audio. It's also in a compact, but larger than 4k-T, turret format,

If you don't need multiple IVS rules with the same function, the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/S is where it's at!
The only issue with the Hikvision is that with human & vehicle detection under motion, is that it still records on any motion, but only alerts on human & vehicle. With smart events, this isn't the case. If you need to use both simultaneously, that's where the issue is.

Hi there, just a shot in the dark since you really like the Hikvision 2387's so much.. I have two i bought brand new 2 months ago. I'm really wanting to go back to Dahua's so if want them, maybe we could trade, or i'll sell them both for $250 + shipping. I still have the boxes, but if I use a medium flat rate box without the original boxes it's like $17. Let me know.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep we have explained to him that with VBR the bitrate can drop to the hundreds in some fields of view and turn into a blurry mess and then the camera bitrate can't ramp up quick enough with motion and the idea motion is missed.

But some would prefer to have some of the incremental storage savings using VBR over CBR. And in some situations it may work. To each their own.
Yes as @wittaj pointed out? I did a large explainer on this and other key areas such as I-frames just recently on this forum HERE

Last edited:

tlp123

n3wb
Reaction score
What Brand and Model should reference with my Synology NAS on DSM 7.0 with the latest IP Camera Pack?

Should I just stay at Dahua_Generic or is there another Supported model that I should be using. N85EFN2 is not an option.

1689120648082.png

tantrim

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the Color4k 6mm capable of performing LPR under any circumstances? I attached a screenshot of the areas lighting and a screenshot from a camera simulator of the projected view. It's well with in the Identification range but I do understand that is probably best circumstances in the day time.
lpr6mm.pnglight1.jpglight2.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Color4k 6mm capable of performing LPR under any circumstances? I attached a screenshot of the areas lighting and a screenshot from a camera simulator of the projected view. It's well with in the Identification range but I do understand that is probably best circumstances in the day time.
View attachment 170864View attachment 170865View attachment 170866
I would say probably not.

Folks have trouble with 12mm on a mailbox at the edge of the street.

Realistically a 6mm would need to be within probably 20 feet of the vehicle at a decent angle to get the plate.

Further, the amount of light needed for the faster shutter speed is a lot. Even though it looks like you have a lot of light, once you 1/2000 the shutter, you would be surprised how much light is needed.

And this camera doesn't see infrared so you can't add it later.

Usually only those that can get away with color are those with lots of light and slow speeds like a stop sign or parking lot.

tantrim

n3wb
Reaction score
I would say probably not.
I figured as much, but I had to ask.

My goal was to see if I could get a single camera that could do LPR and Identify pedestrians coming towards my property on the sidewalk. I'll open another thread in a little bit to go into this question further.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I figured as much, but I had to ask.

My goal was to see if I could get a single camera that could do LPR and Identify pedestrians coming towards my property on the sidewalk. I'll open another thread in a little bit to go into this question further.
Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As i learned in my trial and error with the 74 until condo.....If you want 99.8% of the plates,,,,A true plate cam should be B&W 24/7 with IR on. I have a 6mm 5442 out back at the condo....it goes to B&w at night and uses the light from the LED and the other lights in the lot to "see" in grayscale. it'll get plates farther than 20 feet....but still they need to come through the " capture zone" to get "seen"...if they sat out in the distance I cant get them....But the cars have to pass by the 5241 z12E no matter what...and I get em all....if I don't get thier back plate comng in I still have a chance to get a FRONT plate going out....Works pretty good. When Itried to use it " in color" during the day...it would click over to night and be slightly out of the focus I had setup previously, ( Focus hunting) then of course the Murphy's Law....Thas when the MthrF**ers come into the property sure as shit. Missed a plate( converter theft) So no more getting cute with any other job than Plates.
I put a 5442 2.8 Directly underneath the Z12. It's in your face active deterrance. At home that might look a but much...But you got to find a way to have a 2nd camera do the other captures.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the more forgiving plate camera, if distance isn't toomuch issue,,,,is the 5442 z4e Bullet cam.....now thats a versatile camera. I'm using 2 at the house, and they catch plates in color during the day, and in B&w at night....they seem to handle the night/day switch over better in my case.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tlp123

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out and if so, what feature(s) did you lose if any? I'm thinking of buying the 5442 but that's not listed in DSM7 either. Wondering if there is a newer camera today that's about as good or better than the 5442 and within about the same price range.
I ended up using Dauha Generic in DSM7 which worked fine and exposed the correct features. You can make a request to Synology to add a specified camera to the list. It is my opinion that they will only add moderately popular cameras based on the number of request and not these esoteric variants. I got them to add a Dahua Amcrest camera based on a request but wont bother with the EmpireTech models.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Yes I will make the request to Synology as I've done for another camera model recently. How do you like the 5442 and did you get the Dahua IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED 4MP model? That's the only one I can get without too much difficulty... What worries me is I might not get colour night vision but b/w only since it probably won't have enough light to enable colour.
Unless you have enough light, you won't have good B&W either. The 5442TM-AS-LED model doesn't have IR so if it's dark, then it's just going to be dark whether dark in B&W or dark in color. You'd need to use the LEDs or (better) have other ambient light for it to work well. The 5442T-ZE does have IR and also has variable focal length vs fixed in the 5442TM-AS-LED.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you're right. The 5442T-ZE perhaps is my only option unless the IPC-Color4K-T is better? But isn't the 5442T-ZE only an IR camera at night....another words it doesn't have full colour night vision? It just says night vision and nowhere does it say colour night vision.
If you have the light, the ze can absolutely be ran in color at night.
If you still can, send the crappy Reolinks back for a refund.
The 5442t-ze will run circles around any Reolink when properly tuned for it's field of view.
Any camera left at factory defaults will not perform up to it's full ability.