Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 after watching your youtube reviews of the color4k-x in 6mm I'm considering getting one as a replacement for a 5442T-ZE that I'm using in conjunction with a color4k-T180 to monitor vehicle and foot traffic on the dirt road that services our small development. The T180 makes a great overview camera for the road, but can't be relied on to identify a vehicle or person by itself. I do have a Z12E capturing plates and great daytime images, but at night it is zoomed all the way in and captures just plates, no other vehicle details, and wouldn’t even register a person walking through the field of view.

I had freed up the ZE when I installed a T180 in another location, so I installed the ZE at the road, hoping that its 12mm focal length would let me recognize people or cars on the road. I thought I might be able to run color at night with the illumination from the T180, but had to fall back to using IR to have any chance of capturing clear images of vehicles at night. In comparison to the ZE, the color4k-x in 6mm looks like it would give me a slightly wider field of view, a higher pixel density, and a color night time image, but I do have two concerns about the viability of the color4k-x in this role, near focus, and whether the white LEDs of the –x and –T180 cameras together would let me run the –x with fast enough shutter speed to capture sharp images of vehicles at night.

My cameras are mounted on a post that is 33ft from the center of the road. The road itself is ~15ft wide, so the area of interest ranges from ~25ft at the near edge of the road to ~40ft at the far edge of the road. Realistically most cars or pedestrians aren’t going to be right at the very edge of the road, so most targets are going to be 28-37ft from the camera. Even though the color4k-x specs show a close focus distance of 42.3ft, in the video review of the 6mm the focus looked pretty good when the target was in the distance range I’m looking at. Is there any real concern about the close focus distance being a problem? If it were to turn out to be a problem, has anyone in the community ever opened up one of the color4k-x cameras and adjusted the focus to bring it in any closer?

Most vehicles on the road are traveling at 20 mph or less, with the occasional lead-foot going closer to 25 mph. At night I'm running the ZE's exposure at 0-3ms which does an ok job of giving me a mostly blur free image of vehicles as they pass the camera.

The Night Test video of the 6mm color4k-x mostly featured video that had some sort of supplemental lighting and was taken with exposure settings slower than 3ms. In my situation there aren’t any street or house lights to contribute any illumination. Any feeling for whether running the LEDs at 100% on both the T180 and the color4k-x might give enough light to take the exposure down to 3ms?

Attachments

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1 after watching your youtube reviews of the color4k-x in 6mm I'm considering getting one as a replacement for a 5442T-ZE that I'm using in conjunction with a color4k-T180 to monitor vehicle and foot traffic on the dirt road that services our small development. The T180 makes a great overview camera for the road, but can't be relied on to identify a vehicle or person by itself. I do have a Z12E capturing plates and great daytime images, but at night it is zoomed all the way in and captures just plates, no other vehicle details, and wouldn’t even register a person walking through the field of view.

I had freed up the ZE when I installed a T180 in another location, so I installed the ZE at the road, hoping that its 12mm focal length would let me recognize people or cars on the road. I thought I might be able to run color at night with the illumination from the T180, but had to fall back to using IR to have any chance of capturing clear images of vehicles at night. In comparison to the ZE, the color4k-x in 6mm looks like it would give me a slightly wider field of view, a higher pixel density, and a color night time image, but I do have two concerns about the viability of the color4k-x in this role, near focus, and whether the white LEDs of the –x and –T180 cameras together would let me run the –x with fast enough shutter speed to capture sharp images of vehicles at night.

My cameras are mounted on a post that is 33ft from the center of the road. The road itself is ~15ft wide, so the area of interest ranges from ~25ft at the near edge of the road to ~40ft at the far edge of the road. Realistically most cars or pedestrians aren’t going to be right at the very edge of the road, so most targets are going to be 28-37ft from the camera. Even though the color4k-x specs show a close focus distance of 42.3ft, in the video review of the 6mm the focus looked pretty good when the target was in the distance range I’m looking at. Is there any real concern about the close focus distance being a problem? If it were to turn out to be a problem, has anyone in the community ever opened up one of the color4k-x cameras and adjusted the focus to bring it in any closer?

Most vehicles on the road are traveling at 20 mph or less, with the occasional lead-foot going closer to 25 mph. At night I'm running the ZE's exposure at 0-3ms which does an ok job of giving me a mostly blur free image of vehicles as they pass the camera.

The Night Test video of the 6mm color4k-x mostly featured video that had some sort of supplemental lighting and was taken with exposure settings slower than 3ms. In my situation there aren’t any street or house lights to contribute any illumination. Any feeling for whether running the LEDs at 100% on both the T180 and the color4k-x might give enough light to take the exposure down to 3ms?
How did you adapt the cable gland to the larger opening on the box that your 5442T-ZE is mounted to? I can't seem to find a cable gland to fit the box that allows the ethernet cable to pass through with a water-tight seal. They all seem to be made to fit adapters for electrical conduit.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How did you adapt the cable gland to the larger opening on the box that your 5442T-ZE is mounted to? I can't seem to find a cable gland to fit the box that allows the ethernet cable to pass through with a water-tight seal. They all seem to be made to fit adapters for electrical conduit.
Just search on Amazon for cable gland and you can find all kind of size for very cheap price.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've done that already. Can't find 3/4" that can take an ethernet cable. They only take cable in the range of 12.5-18mm, ethernet cable is 5.5-6mm for cat5 &6.
I took the 3/4" plug out of the junction box and drilled a hole in the plug so I could mount a PG9 cable gland to the plug. My Cat-6 gel-filled direct bury cable is a little thick for a PG7.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

To answer my own questions... When I saw that Andy had a Color4k-X in 6mm on his refurb list for $159 I jumped on it. After some tests I've run in response to the thread Color4K-X 6mm FOV vs T5442T-ZE I can say that the close focus doesn't look like its an issue for me, and sub-3ms exposure times does look to be achievable with the combined illumination from the 4K-X and T180 LEDs.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Some newbie bought 6mm found blurry, thought it's hardware issuse, but actually it has Minimum distance for the installing, if too near camera will be blurry.
And the full color camera always need some light to make it working, we have some guys complaint it doesn't have very good full color pic at low light place when camera LED shut off.

1680082015095.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some newbie bought 6mm found blurry, thought it's hardware issuse, but actually it has Minimum distance for the installing, if too near camera will be blurry.
And the full color camera always need some light to make it working, we have some guys complaint it doesn't have very good full color pic at low light place when camera LED shut off.

View attachment 158474
It is why we stress when we see the NOOB come here that is convinced a Full Color type camera is magic and what they want. They are amazing and produce great captures IF they have some light or are willing to run the camera with the built-in white LED. Otherwise a camera than can see infrared is a better choice.

But if they do not meet one of those two conditions, then it is a great camera being used in the wrong place and results in poor performance and then complaints and poor reviews somewhere on the internet.

These cameras are not magic - all cameras need light, either white light or infrared if the camera can see infrared.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't posted on here in a while, but this morning I was making some adjustments to my 4k-X and 4k-T cameras and thought I'd post a quick 6 month follow-up to the issue I posted about here on Nov 15, 2022 regarding VBR failure on the 4k-X and the image starting to degrade after several seconds. With both the 4k-X and 4k-T using the same encode settings (H265, 8fps, VBR, Quality 4, Max bit rate 10000, I frame 16), pointing at the same view and basically a static image, the image on the 4k-T is fine, but with the 4k-X the VBR defect where the image degrades into a blurry mess is quite prevalent. The issue occurs regardless of the changing to H.264 encoding, etc.

Hands down the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL I bought blows both of these cameras out of the water, and it has crisp 2-way audio, not the crummy audio of these Dahuas where you are forced to use AAC at max bit rate to have usable audio. It's also in a compact, but larger than 4k-T, turret format,

If you don't need multiple IVS rules with the same function, the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/S is where it's at!
The only issue with the Hikvision is that with human & vehicle detection under motion, is that it still records on any motion, but only alerts on human & vehicle. With smart events, this isn't the case. If you need to use both simultaneously, that's where the issue is.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for your report back.
But Totally different 2 kinds of cams, that hikvision 180 is working great, but we have a better one with much smaller size than hikvision one.

IPC-Color4K-T180 ,180 degrees cams here has a full compare to the different hikvision's and ours , reviewed by @Wildcat_1 ,

Also our IPC-Color4K-T180 has a fancy ePTZ function that hikvision not have, lots of fun!

From people who bought 4K-T and 4K-X, some love 4K-T, and some love 4K-X, different color style.

Reaction score
I haven't posted on here in a while, but this morning I was making some adjustments to my 4k-X and 4k-T cameras and thought I'd post a quick 6 month follow-up to the issue I posted about here on Nov 15, 2022 regarding VBR failure on the 4k-X and the image starting to degrade after several seconds. With both the 4k-X and 4k-T using the same encode settings (H265, 8fps, VBR, Quality 4, Max bit rate 10000, I frame 16), pointing at the same view and basically a static image, the image on the 4k-T is fine, but with the 4k-X the VBR defect where the image degrades into a blurry mess is quite prevalent. The issue occurs regardless of the changing to H.264 encoding, etc.

Hands down the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL I bought blows both of these cameras out of the water, and it has crisp 2-way audio, not the crummy audio of these Dahuas where you are forced to use AAC at max bit rate to have usable audio. It's also in a compact, but larger than 4k-T, turret format,

If you don't need multiple IVS rules with the same function, the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/S is where it's at!
The only issue with the Hikvision is that with human & vehicle detection under motion, is that it still records on any motion, but only alerts on human & vehicle. With smart events, this isn't the case. If you need to use both simultaneously, that's where the issue is.
Why use VBR and not CBR? In my opinion, if my objective is to have a high quality image, I'm going to set a high constant bitrate (CBR) and not use a variable bitrate (VBR). I have both the 4K-t and 4K-x and I don't have that issue you're describing.