What HDD is everyone using and what is your recording setting?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
WD Purple, though I've used an HGST 7200 RPM Drive before without issues :lol:

sp3ctre

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please excuse the thread bump but I am looking to replace the 2Tb hard drive in my system with something bigger. Looking at the 8Tb WD Purple. At some point in the future I may get a bigger one and transplant the 8Tb into one of my UNRAID servers. Is there anything specific about the Purple that makes it just suitable for CCTV and not general purpose seerver "stuff"? I presume not, but just wanted to check if I had missed something?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please excuse the thread bump but I am looking to replace the 2Tb hard drive in my system with something bigger. Looking at the 8Tb WD Purple. At some point in the future I may get a bigger one and transplant the 8Tb into one of my UNRAID servers. Is there anything specific about the Purple that makes it just suitable for CCTV and not general purpose seerver "stuff"? I presume not, but just wanted to check if I had missed something?
For video clips consider a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple or a Seagate SkyHawk; standard (non-surveillance rated) will work but their performance will be degraded and their lifetime possibly shortened. In a nutshell, surveillance- rated drives are designed for constant and extreme "write" duty whereas standard drives perform mostly "read" duty.

sp3ctre

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For video clips consider a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple or a Seagate SkyHawk; standard (non-surveillance rated) will work but their performance will be degraded and their lifetime possibly shortened. In a nutshell, surveillance- rated drives are designed for extreme "write" duty whereas standard drives perform mostly "read" duty.
Thanks... actually, thinking about it the UNRAID server is mainly movie media and backups, so not taxing at all, so I guess it would be fine using the purple drive if I ever need to transplant it into the unraid server. Thanks

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Samsung SSD 860 PRO - 256 GB for OS and BI and DB
WD 4 TB Purple
WD 4 TB Purple

A mixture of continuous and alerts recordings among 9 cameras.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
EVO M2 500GB boot drive
4TB WD Purple
8TB WD Purple
500GB WD for alerts on two cameras only

Continuous recording on all cameras. Alerts, additionally, for two cameras.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve got a 256gb SSD for the OS and BI DB. I have 8 2MP Duhua cams all set to record on motion with 3 cloned to capture more. The recordings are split across 2 2Tb WD green drives and recordings are limited to a max size of 1Gb.
Quoting my own thread but I'll be upgrading one of the 2Tb drive this week to a 6Gb Seagate drive, will upgrade the other, most likely to a 6Tb also over time.

Cleck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a 4TB WD purple for the video drive. I have 13 2MP cameras. All record continuous. I have a 120 GB SSD for C drive, windows 10 and BI.

My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 4 GB.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives. Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Sorry to bump this, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread.

I just added a 3tb Seagate drive to my setup for stored clips. Are your allocation settings sufficient for setting up Clips and archiving, or do I need to take additional steps? I tried looking for the BI tutorial part 1 on Clips, but he took it down and I'm not entirely sure how to get started. For now, I just have clips going to a folder on that drive, but I'd like to make sure I have it setup correctly.

I'm not doing 24/7 recording, just triggered clips w/ 4 cameras.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread.

I just added a 3tb Seagate drive to my setup for stored clips. Are your allocation settings sufficient for setting up Clips and archiving, or do I need to take additional steps? I tried looking for the BI tutorial part 1 on Clips, but he took it down and I'm not entirely sure how to get started. For now, I just have clips going to a folder on that drive, but I'd like to make sure I have it setup correctly.

I'm not doing 24/7 recording, just triggered clips w/ 4 cameras.
Set it up like this:

Attachments

Cleck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Set it up like this:
Great, thank you. I'll get working on that

Edit: after reading there, I -think- I've got it. You said not to use 90% or more, so I went for 75%. I have a very small c:\ drive so setting up the new was...I wasn't sure what to allocate it. I also deleted all the aux locations for now, so I think I got it:

1619456653675.png
1619456706283.png
1619456748516.png

The way I am reading that, once it hits the storage limit in the Stored folder, it will then start deleting them by oldest file. I think. Gonna watch the part 2 video now, see if I can fine tune this more, if I even need to

The part I'm not entirely sure of is the New folder and the limit I have there, vs the space available on c:\ I'm guessing it's not really hurting anything, it's just waiting til it hits 5GB in the New, then moves it to d:\, so it's just transferring more/sooner is all.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the C: drive an SSD?
You can set the allocation to 2514 for the stored drive.
If the C drive is an SSD, you don't want to be writing video to it.
Put the new folder on the D: drive, and don't use stored.

Last edited:

Cleck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Study this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
There is a reason we have came up with the recommendations that we give.
LOTs of hours of experience around here.
Yeah, I figured between you guys and that dude's YT videos, I'd get it decently set up.

Going well so far. I haven't checked yet, but it seems to be doing about 20-30gb of recording/day. CPU usage is way down too. Before I'm fairly certain that it was over 75% all day, and now it's kinda bumping between 40-60%, so definitely performing better. At this rate, I should have more than enough space for the time I want to keep these. I'll have to keep track to see how long it actually goes

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running 4x4TB WD Purples in a Raid 0 for the indoor/less important cameras where it wouldn't hurt much to lose footage. 6x12 TB Seagate Skyhawk AI's in a RAID 10 for the important stuff. Continuous recording.

The Purples have been going strong for many years now (I think about 5 years?) with no issues or bad sectors. One of the Skyhawks started getting bad sectors after about a year. Seagate RMA was painless, and I was able to continue using the RAID as normal while it was getting replaced. Writing about 3.5 TB/day, so the drives are definitely getting a workout.