What HDD is everyone using and what is your recording setting?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently using 2x 2TB WD Reds spanned to 4TB because I had a bunch laying around when I updated my NAS. When I need to search through video and need to scan through my clips, it doesn't instantly update the image as I drag the slider anymore. I'm cutting my clips every hour on 6 cameras that's outside the house doing continous recording and the remaining 6 is on motion triggered.

Trying to see if it's an issue with BI or my system. Only thing I can blame it on at the moment is my drives.

FWIW my db file is on a dedicated 240GB SSD

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a 4TB WD purple for the video drive. I have 13 2MP cameras. All record continuous. I have a 120 GB SSD for C drive, windows 10 and BI.

My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 4 GB.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives. Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So here's what I have it set at now based on your suggestion.

path to DB. E:\BlueIris\Db (dedicated 240GB SSD) I have a 500Gb SSD for the OS and decided to keep the 240GB for BI DB since I had no use for it elsewhere
New: 4TB HDD limit to 3000GB ->Move to Stored
Stored: NAS - I limit this to 4TB before deleting. 10Tb free at the moment.
Alerts is on the same 4TB HDD as New with 500GB limit before moving to the NAS
the Alert on the NAS deletes at 500GB

Went ahead and format the disk to 1Mb

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve got a 256gb SSD for the OS and BI DB. I have 8 2MP Duhua cams all set to record on motion with 3 cloned to capture more. The recordings are split across 2 2Tb WD green drives and recordings are limited to a max size of 1Gb.

Reaction score
I use a 256GB M.2 SSD (Intel) for OS, BI and it's DB. Alerts and anything I save is on a WD Blue 500GB SATA III SSD. Record 24/7 all 24 cameras (three 4MP, the rest 2MP) on two WD Purple 10TB 7200RPM HD, half cameras on one, the other half on the second. Gives me about 21 days of recordings. BI set to delete as space needed.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You need to be careful if you're thinking about buying or already own the newer WD Red drives

Have you ever heard of a 'shingled' hard drive?

A shingled hard drive (SMR) has wider write tracks that overlap the read tracks so that they can cram more data/tracks on to a hard drive. Apparently that is fine for cold storage/archival situations, but people have been reporting problems when they are used in NAS. Western Digital has not been very transparent about it

More info:

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to be careful if you're thinking about buying or already own the newer WD Red drives

Have you ever heard of a 'shingled' hard drive?

A shingled hard drive (SMR) has wider write tracks that overlap the read tracks so that they can cram more data/tracks on to a hard drive. Apparently that is fine for cold storage/archival situations, but people have been reporting problems when they are used in NAS. Western Digital has not been very transparent about it

More info:

We have over 100 2TB/4TB in used for the past 6 or so years with no issue. I have 6 on my home NAS with no issue. Good to know though, we're coming up on our drives refresh pretty soon.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So here's what I have it set at now based on your suggestion.

path to DB. E:\BlueIris\Db (dedicated 240GB SSD) I have a 500Gb SSD for the OS and decided to keep the 240GB for BI DB since I had no use for it elsewhere
New: 4TB HDD limit to 3000GB ->Move to Stored
Stored: NAS - I limit this to 4TB before deleting. 10Tb free at the moment.
Alerts is on the same 4TB HDD as New with 500GB limit before moving to the NAS
the Alert on the NAS deletes at 500GB

Went ahead and format the disk to 1Mb
Unless you are saving High Resolution Jpgs, there is nothing stored in Alerts. Set it to 0 and no move.
Me:
BI, OS, BI DB on a 256gb SSD.
All video to New on a WD Purple. No moving required.

Reaction score
How many days are you recording?

I have a 256 Gb SSD for BI and DB. 3 TB drive for video. 7 cameras are 24/7 and 4 are when we are asleep or when the house is vacant. I get about 10 days.

See below. Are the file sizes normal?

3DA7F4D1-A840-41C1-97B4-8F13616FB990.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
File size depends on the camera settings and the BI setting. 1 to 4 GB files are normal for continuous recording. Not sure about your 1 KB files

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using 11 - 4MP cameras, my setup is continuous recording in 1 hour blocks with the following drive configuration:

256G M.2 for Windows 10 and BI
3 - 4TB WD Purple (5400RPM, 64MB)
1 - 8TB WD Purple (7200RPM, 256MB)
1 - 2TB WD Purple (5400RPM, 64MB)

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a handful BI systems and I'm using Exos X drives in all of them for storage. OS and BI DB is run off the local SSD in each system.

I've been real happy with the Exos line. It's all I'm buying for new installs.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a WD Purple 2TB that's been in use non-stop since 2016 and no issues that I'm aware of.
I'm putting a 4TB WD Purple in the new system.

This may be the wrong thread to ask this in but, what's the deal with cameras that have SD cards? If a computer shuts down or the network goes down for a while will Blue Iris update it self from the SD cards when the system comes back online? Assuming the cameras remain powered, of course.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
This may be the wrong thread to ask this in but, what's the deal with cameras that have SD cards? If a computer shuts down or the network goes down for a while will Blue Iris update it self from the SD cards when the system comes back online? Assuming the cameras remain powered, of course.
No. Its strictly onboard recording space for the camera. BI has no interface with it. So you would have to setup it to record either continuous or by motion from with the Camera GUI. The only way to retrieve the video would be from the same area.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a WD Purple 2TB that's been in use non-stop since 2016 and no issues that I'm aware of.
I'm putting a 4TB WD Purple in the new system.

Some of Dahua NVR's do use the SD cards to retrieve video if the network is down for a time, when it comes back up.