Wall of shame

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
'and still managed to get a credit card skimmed at a gas station last year.'

This is what I fear most. I also look and check the pumps, but just not quite sure what to look for exactly.
The main thing is the security seal stickers on the pumps, but those don't do that much. With gas pumps specifically, people were opening up the part of the pump where the electronics are and installing a skimmer with no outwardly visible signs. There could also be other things on their network compromised. Today, some gas pumps finally have chip card readers and many have signs that the it's alarmed somehow / will shut down if it's tampered with. But, I still don't have that much confidence.

I think there's some value in having a gas station credit card as a means of limiting risk and building your credit.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Several things not all that great with this......but certainly we've all probably seen worse.

Disregarding the loose and unauthorized carabiner, the messenger wire for the service drop is tied to the porcelain insulator in such a way that it won't swivel when wind sways it, instead the messenger puts strain on the insulator behind the proper slot, 90 degrees out of whack....minor, but not how the insulator is designed to be tied to.

I've seen several power companies use the Burndy / Blackburn-type crimps to lengthen or repair a wire, and that's OK if the right size is used and if they are AL-CU alloy, some with built-in NO-ox paste under the push-on cap, as most overhead service drop conductors are aluminum with a galvanized steel messenger and the building conductors are copper.

And we all know how sturdy a fascia board is...... :facepalm:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note the floodlight camera installed with a sticky-pad (on brick, no less), no screws.
Also note the excellent white-on-dark brick wiring job.
Now that's what I call a job "worthy of posting on social media."
</end sarcasm> :highfive:

Wireless Floodlight Install
He'll be selling and installing cams for others next week. ;)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He would have screwed into the mortar anyway.
I'm thinking screws with the plastic anchors into the mortar joint would be better than stick-on....
Or find a away to secure to the existing box that's in the brick already.

IOW, stick-on + weight + heat + time = fixture hanging by the wires. :cool: