VMS Software Recommendations

that1itguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking for some input for some recommended VMS (Video Management System) software.

I'm currently using the free version of Milestone and although it's a pretty good piece of software, it SUCKS running on a Windows 10 or Windows Server computer.
Recently, there was some crime in my neighborhood and of course, the Milestone software decided to stop working and the Recording service stopped recording and didn't notice it until the next morning which resulted in loss of video.
I have a Dell ESXi server and currently have a Windows Server 2022 VM running on it, but constantly having to reboot it for updates and the software crashing.. it's becoming a real pain to manage.

I currently have 8 Hikvision DS-2CD2083G2-IU cameras on the server that record 24/7 and store footage for about 14 days on my Synology NAS.

I'm looking for some insight on free or paid software that I could run locally. Ideally it would be nice if there was a mobile iOS app but not required.
I use the Synology Surveillance Station software to provide motion alerts and clips, but I don't like the overall software functionality.

I've looked at using the native Hikvision software but doesn't seem very user friendly and seems clunky.

It would be nice if I could run a desktop app on my Windows 10 Pro computer to be able to review archived video and such.

TIA!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking for some input for some recommended VMS (Video Management System) software.

I'm currently using the free version of Milestone and although it's a pretty good piece of software, it SUCKS running on a Windows 10 or Windows Server computer.
Recently, there was some crime in my neighborhood and of course, the Milestone software decided to stop working and the Recording service stopped recording and didn't notice it until the next morning which resulted in loss of video.
I have a Dell ESXi server and currently have a Windows Server 2022 VM running on it, but constantly having to reboot it for updates and the software crashing.. it's becoming a real pain to manage.

I currently have 8 Hikvision DS-2CD2083G2-IU cameras on the server that record 24/7 and store footage for about 14 days on my Synology NAS.

I'm looking for some insight on free or paid software that I could run locally. Ideally it would be nice if there was a mobile iOS app but not required.
I use the Synology Surveillance Station software to provide motion alerts and clips, but I don't like the overall software functionality.

I've looked at using the native Hikvision software but doesn't seem very user friendly and seems clunky.

It would be nice if I could run a desktop app on my Windows 10 Pro computer to be able to review archived video and such.

TIA!!
Its unfortunate that you have all these crashes on windows....None of my many windows machines suffer the same fate. Want no problems? Dedicate a windows machine to milestone and dont use it for anything else.
Every OS will have updates available or you can simply choose not to install any updates - if you properly setup your vms machine to block internet access except camera streaming you dont need any updates.

that1itguy

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman the Server is built specifically for the Milestone VMS.. nothing else is running on it besides the video recording and nothing else is installed on it besides the Milestone VMS software.
I could put a FW rule into place to block the Windows updates but for whatever reason, the Milestone service still wants to randomly stop which is why I made this posting for software recommendations.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman the Server is built specifically for the Milestone VMS.. nothing else is running on it besides the video recording and nothing else is installed on it besides the Milestone VMS software.
I could put a FW rule into place to block the Windows updates but for whatever reason, the Milestone service still wants to randomly stop which is why I made this posting for software recommendations.
Milestone is a popular commercial vms. If it is constantly crashing there must be something on your end that is causing it, otherwise if was happening to everyone they would be out of business. In your op you said you are running it on a VM.....install on bare metal.