Version 4 is now available!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, it says that minimum requirements are Pentium dual-core or equivalent 2GHz processor or better...

For all the HP N40L owners that use Blue Iris, how will the N40L handle Blue Iris v4 as it's only a dual core 1.50GHz CPU?

Any feedback from other N40L owners before I upgrade and find out it doesn't work :( ?
It likely runs the same as Blue Iris 3 as most of it is the same code. 4 runs the same as 3 on my system, though I have not yet increased my pre-event recording buffers to make use of the extra memory.

Reaction score
I discovered that that V4 32 bit runs pretty good. It will occasionally crash when playing back clips but for the most part, it works. The V4 64 bit is really bad as it will not play back from the timeline nor from the clips. I also determined that the shortcut for both 32 bit and 64 bit point to BlueirisAdmin.exe (right click on the shortcut and select properties). The 32 bit shortcut works, the 64 bit shortcut does not. To run the 64 bit version, you must change the shortcut to point to Blueiris.exe not BlueirisAdmin.exe. I have left the V4 32 bit running and will continue to test for the next few days.

Bob

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I discovered that that V4 32 bit runs pretty good. It will occasionally crash when playing back clips but for the most part, it works. The V4 64 bit is really bad as it will not play back from the timeline nor from the clips. I also determined that the shortcut for both 32 bit and 64 bit point to BlueirisAdmin.exe (right click on the shortcut and select properties). The 32 bit shortcut works, the 64 bit shortcut does not. To run the 64 bit version, you must change the shortcut to point to Blueiris.exe not BlueirisAdmin.exe. I have left the V4 32 bit running and will continue to test for the next few days.

Bob
I am doing the same thing. Seems to be stable so far!

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point, I have just done a bit of reading. I did notice that my download is version 4.0.0.7.

...but i will hold off until I see more confidence in the reactions of others.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks nice! Holding off till the smoke clears as well, lol. Bought it @ 50 in October. And 30 to update it seems rude. Looks like a lot of work was done nonetheless.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks nice! Holding off till the smoke clears as well, lol. Bought it @ 50 in October. And 30 to update it seems rude. Looks like a lot of work was done nonetheless.
Good idea on holding it off......30 dollars is really cheap considering the costs of the alternatives....

SoCAlva

n3wb
Reaction score
So I just upgraded from 3 to 4 and don't see any improvement. My CPU went from 40% to 95% and motion detection via camera input still doesn't work. Can someone point me to the changelog? I'm having trouble finding one. What functionality did we gain other than 64 bit support?

edit: CPU usage dropped to 50% after 15 or so minutes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I just upgraded from 3 to 4 and don't see any improvement. My CPU went from 40% to 95% and motion detection via camera input still doesn't work. Can someone point me to the changelog? I'm having trouble finding one. What functionality did we gain other than 64 bit support?
The changelog is in the whats new section of the help file...have you updated to version .13 from the websites update page?
If you dont need 64 bit you are better of just running 32..you will gain nothing by running 64 bit if you were not having memory issues before..BI4 is not yet stable and i would not use 4 for another few weeks until the bugs are worked out.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running great on .13 :semi-twins:

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes working great here too with the 64 bit version. I never had any memory issues with BI3. And I haven't really noticed any difference in CPU usage with BI4. It is still using one core most of the time in my setup. When I get these four HikVision 3MP cameras in a few weeks I'll see how much things change. That will take me up from the current 6.8MP with twelve cameras to 20.8MP with sixteen cameras.

Rydog626

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes working great here too with the 64 bit version. I never had any memory issues with BI3. And I haven't really noticed any difference in CPU usage with BI4. It is still using one core most of the time in my setup. When I get these four HikVision 3MP cameras in a few weeks I'll see how much things change. That will take me up from the current 6.8MP with twelve cameras to 20.8MP with sixteen cameras.
Im curious... did you do Clean install, Meaning no version 3 installed at all at time of Version 4 install.

Thank you

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im curious... did you do Clean install, Meaning no version 3 installed at all at time of Version 4 install.

Thank you
My version 3 is still on the machine. I can still open it and use it too if I want. When I installed version 4, it picked up all the settings from my version 3. So all the camera settings and file locations were the same as v3 when I first opened v4. Which made things so much easier since I didn't have to mess with those settings.

SoCAlva

n3wb
Reaction score
The changelog is in the whats new section of the help file...have you updated to version .13 from the websites update page?
If you dont need 64 bit you are better of just running 32..you will gain nothing by running 64 bit if you were not having memory issues before..BI4 is not yet stable and i would not use 4 for another few weeks until the bugs are worked out.
Thanks! It's pretty light on details.. seems like it's just an interface change, new playback methods, and 64 bit support. The 64-bit version has already crashed on me three times, twice while I wasn't even using it. I'll try the 32 bit version or go back to v3 until they get the bugs worked out. I guess I jumped the gun on buying the upgrade

Do I have to uninstall the 64-bit version before re-installing the 32-bit? or can I have them both installed at the same time? I ran the setup again and checked 64 and 32 but i can't find where it installed the 32 binaries.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@SoCAlva, the timeline feature with synchronized multi-camera playback and up to 256x playback speed is huge for lots of folks who regularly review video, though its not needed for many...64 bit is only need for those who were maxing out the memory limit before...also the new compiler increases security and reliability...I would not feel bad about paying for the upgrade because when it gets stable and new features come out, im sure you will want some of them...I dont know about having both 32 and 64 bit installed simultaneously...I would just install 32 and see if it works for you...if not go back to 3.66 until everything is resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If anyone is having problems with BlueIris 4.0.0.x I can confirm that the following is what fixed my installation.
Step 1. Export the configuration via settings menu.
Step 2. Uninstall all traces of BlueIris answering yes to remove licensing and configuration data.
Step 3. Delete all directories associated to BlueIris and databases, etc. Under Program Files or wherever your data locations are set at.
Step 4. Reboot the computer
Step 5. Reinstall BlueIris latest version which currently is 4.0.0.13 & Register with your serial number.
Step 6. Import the configuration again.
Step 7. Quit and close blueiris and re-open.

These steps fixed all of my problems

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just wanted to confirm that 4.0.15 64 has COMPLETELY solved my clip-play crashing. Doesn't matter if I play timeline on the console, or use a web browser (or android app) - it all works as it should. I've now switched back from 3.66 to 4.

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wanted to confirm that 4.0.15 64 has COMPLETELY solved my clip-play crashing. Doesn't matter if I play timeline on the console, or use a web browser (or android app) - it all works as it should. I've now switched back from 3.66 to 4.
Thanks for the update!