US Elections (& Politics) :)

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Lib Writer Shreds Jan. 6 Committee's Trump Referral: Like a 'Magic Marker' Letter Written by Bozo the Clown

In what is considered a historic move, the Jan. 6 select House committee this week voted to send a criminal referral to the U.S. Department of Justice concerning former President Donald Trump and the role the committee believed he played in sparking the Capitol incursion on Jan. 6, 2021.

According to CNBC, in a unanimous vote Monday, the committee determined that it believes ample evidence exists for an investigation and potential criminal action against the former president for “obstructing an official proceeding, conspiracy to defraud the government, making knowingly and willfully materially false statements to the federal government, and inciting or assisting an insurrection.”

However, it appears that reasonable people on both sides of the political aisle believe the criminal referral isn’t worth the paper it was written on.

Michael Tracey, a left-leaning writer, wrote a lengthy Twitter thread regarding why he believes the committee’s referral to the DOJ isn’t what many believe it to be. And he didn’t hold anything back in the process.

“What’s being called a “criminal referral” by the Jan 6 committee carries just as much legal weight as a letter written in magic marker by Bozo the Clown. Has no basis at all in any statute or House rule, they just put out a Word document and made up a serious-sounding name for it,” Tracey’s tweet thread began.

What’s being called a “criminal referral” by the Jan 6 committee carries just as much legal weight as a letter written in magic marker by Bozo the Clown. Has no basis at all in any statute or House rule, they just put out a Word document and made up a serious-sounding name for it
— Michael Tracey (@mtracey) December 19, 2022
Lib Writer Shreds Jan. 6 Committee's Trump Referral: Like a 'Magic Marker' Letter Written by Bozo the Clown (westernjournal.com)

My Comment. This whole Jan. 6 kangaroo court has been nothing but your typical Adam Schiff sh!t show. Also President Trump's tax returns have been released to the media, but not a thing from the media. Because there is nothing in them that is a problem.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I did it back in 1990. I lived in Northern Illinois my whole life and got tired of the.....
I'm going to try to one-up you. No biggie if I don't succeed, it's just for fun. In the late 60s, I escaped from (...drum roll...) Chicago, and left the entire at-that-time family behind. I was an up-and-coming self sufficient young stud then and had no qualms over stepping out on my own. Now it's different. If I were to leave Oregon now it would be by myself again, leaving behind the wife, kids, and grandkids, and I lost the young stud status a while ago.

I don't envy the family left behind in Chicago a bit. They're mostly bitter and distrustful When I was the young adult I did a lot of business trips and arranging a stopover for family visits was fairly easy. Those days when you could get to the airport 10 minutes prior to departure, sprint to the gate, and jump through the plane's door just as they were closing it. Haven't been on a commercial flight now for close to 10 years, and not planning to start up again.

One things that ticks me off about Oregon that would fit better in the money thread, is its death tax. Anything over a million is taxed at 10% or more. That sounds like a lot, but the fact is that any nice middle class house near a metro area is pushing a million in market value, if not more. So for anybody with a nice middle class house, the state will take 10% of everything else. Not indexed for inflation, no stacking of the exemption for married couples. Assets taxed when you earned them, taxed again by inflation, then confiscated when you die.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to try to one-up you. No biggie if I don't succeed, it's just for fun. In the late 60s, I escaped from (...drum roll...) Chicago, and left the entire at-that-time family behind. I was an up-and-coming self sufficient young stud then and had no qualms over stepping out on my own. Now it's different. If I were to leave Oregon now it would be by myself again, leaving behind the wife, kids, and grandkids, and I lost the young stud status a while ago.

I don't envy the family left behind in Chicago a bit. They're mostly bitter and distrustful When I was the young adult I did a lot of business trips and arranging a stopover for family visits was fairly easy. Those days when you could get to the airport 10 minutes prior to departure, sprint to the gate, and jump through the plane's door just as they were closing it. Haven't been on a commercial flight now for close to 10 years, and not planning to start up again.

One things that ticks me off about Oregon that would fit better in the money thread, is its death tax. Anything over a million is taxed at 10% or more. That sounds like a lot, but the fact is that any nice middle class house near a metro area is pushing a million in market value, if not more. So for anybody with a nice middle class house, the state will take 10% of everything else. Not indexed for inflation, no stacking of the exemption for married couples. Assets taxed when you earned them, taxed again by inflation, then confiscated when you die.
Chi-Town Native....I was a Rockfordian Native for 30 years. As far as I know, I don't have any relatives living in Illinois. I never did like Illinois. I fully understand your predicament with family and grandkids. As far as the young stud thing, you are only as old as you feel.....this morning, waking up, I felt 90......:lol:

Reaction score
Raise your hand (figuratively) if you've been impacted by your local power company's "rolling blackouts" today, supposedly to curb high demand caused by the winter storm.
We were without power for seven hours Friday due to high winds knocking tree limbs (and trunks!) across major power lines. Then today, an outage at 7:00 am until after 9:00 am. Only after the "outage" was over did we hear anything about "rolling blackouts".

It seems the deep state is seriously trying to curb people's holiday enthusiasm this year.
They cannot stand it when the public at large are happy.

Rolling Blackouts.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Traitors!

mitch-zelensky.jpg

........ But that didn’t stop 18 Republican senators, including McConnell and two-time presidential loser Mitt Romney, from voting to pass the omnibus bill on Thursday. Another “yes” vote was from Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), the former chair of the Senate Judiciary who promised for years to “get to the bottom” of numerous Justice Department scandals.

No group of politicians has licked the boots of President Zelenskyy more than Republican senators. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is among Zelenskyy’s biggest supporters, insisting this week that “providing assistance for Ukrainians to defeat the Russians is the number one priority for the United States right now according to most Republicans. That’s how we see the challenges confronting the country at the moment.”

And there you have it. One of the most powerful—albeit most unpopular—leaders in Washington thinks lining Zelenskyy’s army-green pockets with more U.S. tax dollars is a greater need than tackling any number of ongoing crises roiling the country right now.

In a last bit of symbolism Wednesday night, Zelenskyy exited the House chambers carrying the case holding the folded American flag. A two-bit actor and international con man walked out with billions of American dollars and a cherished token of America’s sacrifice and in the real fight for freedom, justice, and security.
And the fiends in the hall systematically destroying that legacy for the people they are elected to represent cheered again.

Traitors.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^
His technical accuracy is horrible. He states that all lithium ion batteries contain cobalt (at 0:29), which is not true. Same with the claim that all EV batteries contain cobalt (at 0:42). Like most of the ignorant media, he thinks that all lithium ion batteries are a single chemistry. His points about the human end environmental impacts might be true, but a report that starts out with obvious bad information makes me wonder how accurate the rest of it is.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^
His technical accuracy is horrible. He states that all lithium ion batteries contain cobalt (at 0:29), which is not true. Same with the claim that all EV batteries contain cobalt (at 0:42). Like most of the ignorant media, he thinks that all lithium ion batteries are a single chemistry. His points about the human end environmental impacts might be true, but a report that starts out with obvious bad information makes me wonder how accurate the rest of it is.
Hmm, interesting. I didn't really think about that stuff, more about the slavery part, which if true is really horrible.
1671954008112.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. I didn't really think about that stuff, more about the slavery part, which if true is really horrible.
The slave labor is true and while tesla and others are trying to move away from cobalt they are not there yet. The alternatives are not energy dense. Toyota is 100 percent right to raise concerns about fast paced push to EV. With china running the cobalt mines, their hands on lithuim production in chile, makes you better understand why its being pushed.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah but i thought all the hot chicks originate from blue states

on a more serious note, i thought Blue states had higher pay and better health care

Last edited:
Reaction score
"You are ether a Marine or not. You do not have to join. If your beard or anything else is more important, then don't be a Marine. "

I was a member of the MarDet on the USS Long Beach CGN-9 when the Navy made the decision to make its sailors go beardless. You should have seen the uproar it caused....a Navy tradition it certainly was. However, because of the Battle in the Falklands (HMS Sheffield), it was decided that Sailors could not get a tight enough seal with their OBA's if they had to wear a mask, and that is why beards were no longer allowed.
Imagine a chemical attack. WTF are they going to do? I was an NBC instructor...a beard or not having a proper seal with your mask, is death, a horrendous death at that. NO if you want to be a Marine, then lose the fucking beard. Or DON'T enlist. OMG...these people.

Last edited: