Underwater camera set up

zambar

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here although I have visited the site before. Ive been doing a lot of underwater photography with gopros and have played around with mobile car NVRs and DIY cameras but my next project is to use an IP camera to film under water.

I have purchased a 5mp Barlus underwater IP camera with 10m cable and want to use it on the end of a pole or static in the river for short durations (battery dependent). What are my options for equipment and connections out in the field? Im looking at purchasing a small 12v NVR or if there is a way of getting the footage off the camera to HDMI I have a field camera with recording facilities. I am not too concerned about seeing the footage over the internet but may look into that in the near future when I have learnt more.

I have very basic knowledge of network camera setups so want to keep it as simple as possible to start. With my other set ups I have a waterproof peli case with a 12v 20ah battery that I leave on the bank although I have other batteries large and small, I also put the small MDVR inside.

What are my options using an IP camera, any ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could install the free VLC on an Android or iOS tablet or smartphone to record and playback clips. The memory in a tablet is more easily expanded and removed, such as a microSD card.

Depending on which tablet or phone you use, often there is a HDMI output available as well in the form of a mini HDMI.

zambar

n3wb
Reaction score
You could install the free VLC on an Android or iOS tablet or smartphone to record and playback clips. The memory in a tablet is more easily expanded and removed, such as a microSD card.

Depending on which tablet or phone you use, often there is a HDMI output available as well in the form of a mini HDMI.
Thanks, I can power the camera easily but what would I plug it into to obtain or send the footage to the tablet or phone? I also know nothing about POE injectors or switches or if they are needed for this. I have been looking at portable NVRS but 12v versions are limited.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your camera appears to have a 12VDC barrel connector for power, no POE injector needed.

Then connect the camera's Ethernet connector to the Android or iOS device. Most Android devices and newer iPad models will need a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter, while older Android phones and tablets require a micro USB-to-Ethernet adapter. You'd have to check the hardware capability of your chosen tablet or phone.

zambar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, thats exactly the useful information I was after. I wasnt aware I could use an adaptor with the cameras ethernet connector so that opens up opportunities. Would an ethernet to HDMI adaptor work for my field camera or would you need to go through software such as VLC?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, thats exactly the useful information I was after. I wasnt aware I could use an adaptor with the cameras ethernet connector so that opens up opportunities. Would an ethernet to HDMI adaptor work for my field camera or would you need to go through software such as VLC?
Ethernet is network (TCP/IP) data and in some cases POE power for the device.
HDMI is a digital video/audio signal.
The 2 have no interface relationship.

zambar

n3wb
Reaction score
Your camera appears to have a 12VDC barrel connector for power, no POE injector needed.

Then connect the camera's Ethernet connector to the Android or iOS device. Most Android devices and newer iPad models will need a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter, while older Android phones and tablets require a micro USB-to-Ethernet adapter. You'd have to check the hardware capability of your chosen tablet or phone.
Thanks for the previous advice. I now have a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter so I can connect the camera to my iphone 15 pro max. Can you tell me what I do next? I have downloaded VLC

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the previous advice. I now have a USB-C-to-Ethernet adapter so I can connect the camera to my iphone 15 pro max. Can you tell me what I do next? I have downloaded VLC
Hopefully, the camera has an embedded webGUI and we need to log into it with a browser but first I need more info so I can look it up:
What is the exact model number of the camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Power up the cam with the 12VDC adapter.
Connect the cam's Ethernet port to the Ethernet-to-type-C USB adapter and plug into the iPhone.
Open your iPhone network settings and configure it with a static IP of 192.168.1.20, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway IP needed. (I'll have to charge up my iPhone XR to tell you how if you have trouble, I've done it many times, I now use an Android)
Open Safari browser on the iPhone.
Access the camera's webGUI by typing in the cam's IP address (192.168.1.10) into Safari and then <enter>
It should ask for a username, enter "admin", leave password blank and then <enter>.
If the webGUI comes up see if you can display live video from the cam.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found and downloaded the RTSP info for that cam and there's contradictory info regarding the cam's IP address.
Do you have access to a PC?
It's so much easier to use a PC to resolve what works with that cam, IMO, than with an iPhone.
Once some things are known we can port that info over to the iPhone.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes i do have a pc and a router if needed
Good.

Configure the PC's Ethernet card with a static IP of 192.168.1.20, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway IP needed.
Connect the PC directly to the cam's Ethernet cable.
Open up a command prompt window on the PC (Windows Key + R, then "cmd" then <enter>)
In the black command window enter "ping 192.168.1.10" and hit <enter>
Any replies?

zambar

n3wb
Reaction score
Good.

Configure the PC's Ethernet card with a static IP of 192.168.1.20, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway IP needed.
Connect the PC directly to the cam's Ethernet cable.
Open up a command prompt window on the PC (Windows Key + R, then "cmd" then <enter>)
In the black command window enter "ping 192.168.1.10" and hit <enter>
Any replies?
Thank you, I will do that this afternoon as im at work. I will let you know how i get on, many thanks Tony