[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered a Nvidia Quadro P400 off ebay the other day, it arrived a couple hours ago...

I'm in disbelief how easy, yet complicated it was to get Windows deepstack:gpu version working... Its litterally taken longer for windows to update than it did for me to set this up, and i even DDUed a AMD driver and applied new thermal paste during that time. ¯\(ツ)

Now I need this update to finish so i can see how much CPU im saving.

I'm just wondering if I really needed to install Cuda 10.1 and cuDNN like deepstack docs say or if they were already in the latest driver I downloaded and installed from Nvidia. Any one know the answer to that? I'm guessing cuDNN wasnt in there but I'm pretty sure CUDA 11 was.

Has anyone tried Windows GPU version vs. Docker GPU version? wondering if there's a difference and which is better.
@whoami ™ I am looking to build a Rack Mounted Server to run BI on, my limit is 3U, would be great fit everything in a 2U, but I would need a low profile Video Card (for DeepStack). Even though your card is not low-profile it should work in a 3U rack. Please let us know how DeepStack works on your card. Appreciate it...

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@whoami ™ I am looking to build a Rack Mounted Server to run BI on, my limit is 3U, would be great fit everything in a 2U, but I would need a low profile Video Card (for DeepStack). Even though your card is not low-profile it should work in a 3U rack. Please let us know how DeepStack works on your card. Appreciate it...
Nvidia Quadro P400 is in fact a low profile card, you just need to find a used one with the low profile bracket or buy one. It'a only a 30W GPU and does not need a 6 or 8-pin rail, it pulls its power directly from the 16x slot. With 7 cams feeding images to deepstack while rendering Remote Desktop graphics the highest load its placed on it is around 16%.

if your wanting ideas for a rack mount, im in the process of building this 1U... It took a lot of research to put this list together.

• iStarUSA M-140-ITX 1U server case
  • ASUS P11C-I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C242
  • Microsemi Adaptec SAS Internal Cable, 1.6' (2281200-R)
  • Intel® Xeon® E-2278G 8C/16T 3.4ghz
  • Nvidia Quadro P400 or Nvidia T400
  • Flexible 16x PCIe Riser Cable
  • x2 Samsung M391A4G43AB1-CVF 32GB DDR4-2933 ECC
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2242
  • Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM, Premium Quiet Fans
  • drives depend on needs 3.5" Purples for Sec Cams, SSD for VM's ect.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nvidia Quadro P400 is in fact a low profile card, you just need to find a used one with the low profile bracket or buy one. It'a only a 30W GPU and does not need a 6 or 8-pin rail, it pulls its power directly from the 16x slot. With 7 cams feeding images to deepstack while rendering Remote Desktop graphics the highest load its placed on it is around 16%.

if your wanting ideas for a rack mount, im in the process of building this 1U... It took a lot of research to put this list together.

• iStarUSA M-140-ITX 1U server case
  • ASUS P11C-I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C242
  • Microsemi Adaptec SAS Internal Cable, 1.6' (2281200-R)
  • Intel® Xeon® E-2278G 8C/16T 3.4ghz
  • Nvidia Quadro P400 or Nvidia T400
  • Flexible 16x PCIe Riser Cable
  • x2 Samsung M391A4G43AB1-CVF 32GB DDR4-2933 ECC
  • Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2242
  • Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM, Premium Quiet Fans
  • drives depend on needs 3.5" Purples for Sec Cams, SSD for VM's ect.
Thank you this is what I need, I know what you mean, hard to find full list like this for a build. Sure would like to see some pics when completed, curious how you will mount video card with your riser cable. Also curious how you are going to cool your CPU, Fan/Heat Sink?
Looks very close to what I want, I have up to 3U on my rack I can go. Just started talking to these guys: Rackmount Mart - 2U Rackmount Chassis

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you this is what I need, I know what you mean, hard to find full list like this for a build. Sure would like to see some pics when completed, curious how you will mount video card with your riser cable. Also curious how you are going to cool your CPU, Fan/Heat Sink?
Looks very close to what I want, I have up to 3U on my rack I can go. Just started talking to these guys: Rackmount Mart - 2U Rackmount Chassis
To answer your question about the Quadro P400 GPU more throughly, DeepStack (python) places a load of 2.5-2.6% on the GPU every time it analizes an image. Average queue is 300ms

about the cooler, im not sure yet... the only progress Ive made on this build so far is I bout the 1U case 6 months ago, and I reciently ordered the mother board from newegg but its on back order.

warbux

n3wb
Reaction score
Recently my deepstack blueiris setup quit working after months of working flawlessly. II downloaded the new AI Tools installer but no matter what I cannot get aitools to detect objects. It keeps showing people as false alerts despite being setup to detect people. Anyone else run into similar problems?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the comments in this thread:

The cameras AI will work with Blue Iris. What you cannot do prior to DeepStack was do a search by humans or faces with BI. That is the type of stuff you could do with the NVR AI, but you can trigger for those events in BI.

But if all you care about is triggering the camera to send you an alert or push or SMS for human and/or car and do not need all the other bells and whistles that DeepStack offers, this works very well.

How to use the AI in the camera instead of BI motion detection:

Go to Smart Plan and select IVS and hit save.

Then go to IVS and add an IVS rule. Use Intrusion and select the appears and crosses boxes. Draw a box/outline around the area you want it to trigger for, but try not to do the full frame to give the camera time to recognize the object. Then check the box for human and/or vehicle. There is no sensitivity settings in this setup.

Leave min size to 0,0 and do not do any other changes and hit save.

Make sure both motion detection and Smart Motion Detection are not checked in the camera.

Then in BI you need to set it up in two places. In the motion tab, select the camera's digital input or motion alarm.

Uncheck the BI Motion Sensor.

Then go back to the setup screen where you key in the camera IP address and user and password and down in the lower left (or up a little depending on the version you are running), will be the checkbox for pull ONVIF triggers.

I ran a clone camera for awhile using BI motion to compare it to the ONVIF triggers to confirm I wasn't missing anything. Now for those cams I just use ONVIF triggers.

Having the camera do motion detection instead of BI does free up CPU as motion detection is one of the larger CPU drains.

I repeat, do not have Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection turned on in the camera.

This will eliminate your false triggers.

Reaction score
I just upgraded to the latest AI Tool version.
Can anyone please explain what a "Meat Popsicle" is?
Also, when I add a new object, how do I train/set deepstack to know what I mean?
Thanks.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct syntax for running the Deepstack dark model (dark.pt) in a Docker / Windows environment ?

Examples are shown for both Windows and Linux / Docker but I need a Windows / Docker example.

jz3082

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct syntax for running the Deepstack dark model (dark.pt) in a Docker / Windows environment ?

Examples are shown for both Windows and Linux / Docker but I need a Windows / Docker example.
If you find the syntax please post. I would also like to know how you end up using the dark mode in AITool (active time range, linked server, refinement server).

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you find the syntax please post. I would also like to know how you end up using the dark mode in AITool (active time range, linked server, refinement server).
I have reconfigured my system to use the Windows version of DeepStack and have now tested the dark.pt night-time model. I had great expectations especially since the latest version of Vorland-cd AITool has the ability to switch models on a dusk-dawn basis.
Alas my experience has been disappointing to say the least. The dark version recognised me about 5% of the time versus 90% using the standard release which makes it unusable for me. Needless to say your mileage may vary. The dark version frequently recognised me as a table lol

FYI I have attached the image that I tested the dark.pt model with. Hmmm might be an alien but definitely not a table :lol:

Attachments

Last edited:

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting this DeepStack error in AI Tool when using more than one instance of DS? It seems like the file its looking for gets replaced by another file by one of the other instances. All instances still work after throwing the error. I'm just trying to see if I can stop it from happening.

Code:
Process Process-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\obj\windows-release\37amd64_Release\msi_python\zip_amd64\process.py", line 297, in _bootstrap
  File "D:\obj\windows-release\37amd64_Release\msi_python\zip_amd64\process.py", line 99, in run
  File "C:\DeepStack\intelligencelayer\shared\detection.py", line 138, in objectdetection
    os.remove(img_path)
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified: 'C:\\Users\\admin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\DeepStack\\571385ee-582a-43e3

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting this DeepStack error in AI Tool when using more than one instance of DS? It seems like the file its looking for gets replaced by another file by one of the other instances. All instances still work after throwing the error. I'm just trying to see if I can stop it from happening.

Code:
Process Process-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\obj\windows-release\37amd64_Release\msi_python\zip_amd64\process.py", line 297, in _bootstrap
  File "D:\obj\windows-release\37amd64_Release\msi_python\zip_amd64\process.py", line 99, in run
  File "C:\DeepStack\intelligencelayer\shared\detection.py", line 138, in objectdetection
    os.remove(img_path)
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified: 'C:\\Users\\admin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\DeepStack\\571385ee-582a-43e3
I had a similar issue when I ran DeepStack under Windows. I resolved it by reverting back to running DeepStack in a Docker environment. Your mileage may vary!

clowg

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a reliable link to the currnet compiled version of the VolronCD releases? I use GitHub quite often, but I can't find where the releases are being stored on this one :(

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
I have reason to believe the project is dying. I hope I am mistaken.

Given that there currently is no known reliable/working deepstack windows GPU version that I am aware of I decided to get the code and do it myself.

What I found was a surprise to me and let me just say that things need to be cleaned up real fast in order to have any life expectancy.

I have reached out to @john on github regarding the state the current code is in but havn’t heard back yet.

If there is anyone with a working windows GPU version (preferably a recent one) please zip it up and share it. I can decompile the code if need be and start from there in an effort of cleaning house.

Last edited:

ChrisX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have a problem with AI Tool.. im working with clone aicams. Blueiris send me a video with mail... but it is over 20-30 sec to late ...
same with alert image. Recording delay 8 sec.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That could be an issue with your mail more than AI tool. Check the timestamp in the BI log when it sent the mail versus when you received it.

ipversity

n3wb
Reaction score
just a heads up. My issues were never with the code from vorloncd. My issues are with the deepstack code. Through help from someone one another forum I have gotten things to at least run on the windows GPU 2021-2-1 version. I will try and see if I can get compile the the 2021-8-1 version and if it runs. Should anyone have an interest in that then please let me know why so I can be motivated to push trhough

ChrisX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That could be an issue with your mail more than AI tool. Check the timestamp in the BI log when it sent the mail versus when you received it.
hmm its same with "alert video" in blueieris, blueiris app, and mail. I think aitool send to late and send the confirm time after deeptstack. I need alert time from Blueiris alert for deepstack.
But time is not in the tigger link "[BlueIrisURL]/admin?trigger&camera=[camera]&user=[Username]&pw=[Password]&flagalert=1&memo=[summary]&jpeg=[ImagePathEscaped]"
I have activate "buffer recording" but its not working in alarm videos.

Edit:
i have check. time on alert pic ( ai tool) 08:46:33 and in blueiris Alert: 08:46:38...

Last edited: