The official "WTF" thread

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blow off steam? Must of been fresh waste...LMAO...wow what a world we live in...

1701348252049.png

1701348190312.png

wrapter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Regarding the tractor pull, I reserve comment until I see Cybertruck pull a 20 foot, 7,000 lb. wet travel trailer in the middle of July across I-40 for 550 miles without stopping, then be ready in 10 minutes to go another 550 miles with the same load. :cool:
Who drives without stopping for 8 hours or more, this is supposed to be 800v, so in theory it should charge twice as fast as cars with 400v system.

The biggest downer is the price, the 470mile version will cost more then 100k.

Todays cutting edge Battery prototypes can charge as fast as 6 min. It will take about 2 years for mass production.

Reaction score
Like it or not, the future is EV. But we are quite a way from it now. The big problem is recharging time and everyone knows that.

We are retired and we have two cars. Yes, we could get by with only one, but sometimes my wife goes someplace while I am out and about, like at the gun range. Her car is a 2012 BMW i535 and my car is a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I use the JGC for going to the range, Home Depot, and being towed 4-down behind the motorhome. We use the BMW for daily trips around town and if we have to go on a long interstate trip that we are not taking the coach for, but that is rare. Both vehicles have about 66k miles on them. But the JGC really has about 103K more as it has been towed for that many miles.

We were just discussing today about what would we get to replace the BMW when that time comes. We would definitely look into an EV for that. We never travel more than 100 miles in a day, so charging at home would not be a problem. If we had to go on an interstate trip, we would take the JGC.

When it comes time to replace the JGC, it would have to be something we can tow 4-down behind the coach if we still have it. So no EV for that. Have been thinking of either a Jeep Gladiator or a Ram 1500. We load a Cricket cart in the back of the JGC now, but putting it in the back of a pickup bed would be so much better, being able to use the rear seats then.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like it or not, the future is EV. But we are quite a way from it now. The big problem is recharging time and everyone knows that.

We are retired and we have two cars. Yes, we could get by with only one, but sometimes my wife goes someplace while I am out and about, like at the gun range. Her car is a 2012 BMW i535 and my car is a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I use the JGC for going to the range, Home Depot, and being towed 4-down behind the motorhome. We use the BMW for daily trips around town and if we have to go on a long interstate trip that we are not taking the coach for, but that is rare. Both vehicles have about 66k miles on them. But the JGC really has about 103K more as it has been towed for that many miles.

We were just discussing today about what would we get to replace the BMW when that time comes. We would definitely look into an EV for that. We never travel more than 100 miles in a day, so charging at home would not be a problem. If we had to go on an interstate trip, we would take the JGC.

When it comes time to replace the JGC, it would have to be something we can tow 4-down behind the coach if we still have it. So no EV for that. Have been thinking of either a Jeep Gladiator or a Ram 1500. We load a Cricket cart in the back of the JGC now, but putting it in the back of a pickup bed would be so much better, being able to use the rear seats then.
IDK if the future is EV...It seems there's a lot of pressure to move that way, but it has its problems. People are already disgruntled that the vehicles are totalled when the battery goes out...Imagine the disgust people will have once the newer ones reach the end of the life for the batteries because they are making them part of the chassis now. So, even if they do figure a good swap program, it will be prohibitively expensive because you'd have to completely take the vehicle apart to change the battery.
Of course the car companies love EV because it takes those 10+ year old vehicles off the market and everyone has to buy new cars...Win, win, right?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IDK if the future is EV...It seems there's a lot of pressure to move that way, but it has its problems. People are already disgruntled that the vehicles are totalled when the battery goes out...Imagine the disgust people will have once the newer ones reach the end of the life for the batteries because they are making them part of the chassis now. So, even if they do figure a good swap program, it will be prohibitively expensive because you'd have to completely take the vehicle apart to change the battery.
Of course the car companies love EV because it takes those 10+ year old vehicles off the market and everyone has to buy new cars...Win, win, right?
EVs remind me of a battery operated power tool. They seem great and convenient when they have a charge, but when the battery dies they are worthless.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
EVs remind me of a battery operated power tool. They seem great and convenient when they have a charge, but when the battery dies they are worthless.
I love my battery operated tools. But, they have their place just like battery operated vehicles. They work great for golf carts and apparently in China they make cars with swappable batteries. So, I'm not claiming it can't be done. But the way we are attempting to do it appears to be set for failure, IMO.
Now whether they are better for the environment/more economical...That's a whole other argument and I don't have a complete understanding of the situation.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EVs .. just wait until the fires in every parking locations create a knock on effect .. condos and others may want to ban them once the insurance adjustments kick in.

Attached garages in homes .. yeah that will be a challenge also ...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I love my battery operated tools. But, they have their place just like battery operated vehicles. They work great for golf carts and apparently in China they make cars with swappable batteries. So, I'm not claiming it can't be done. But the way we are attempting to do it appears to be set for failure, IMO.
Now whether they are better for the environment/more economical...That's a whole other argument and I don't have a complete understanding of the situation.
Same here, don't get me wrong, battery operated tools have come a long way. I remember when they first came out, they were laughable, no power and did not last long. Now they are very popular. Here is the thing, most jobsites I worked on used generators. Power cords running all over the place from the Gen. Now batteries chargers are plugged into those Gens. along with power cords.

With a car there is no spare battery. Can't take a gas can to a gas station. I just wonder how many dead cars we will see on the side of the roads in the future. Presently most EV owners are smart enough to plan their trips, add the rest of the population, lol

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
EVs .. just wait until the fires in every parking locations create a knock on effect .. condos and others may want to ban them once the insurance adjustments kick in.

Attached garages in homes .. yeah that will be a challenge also ...
Car fires are a problem with IC cars too. There was a car fire at my wife's work and because the fire department across the street took 45 minutes to get there, the adjacent vehicles were damaged. So, this problem isn't unique to EV's...But, I do believe the health concerns with the burning materials are greater with EVs. I think that the batteries igniting is something that they will figure out in the long term. But, good point...Right now that's a strike against them.
I'm not a fan of EVs because primarily they are disposable cars. And I like buying used cars.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Car fires are a problem with IC cars too. There was a car fire at my wife's work and because the fire department across the street took 45 minutes to get there, the adjacent vehicles were damaged. So, this problem isn't unique to EV's...But, I do believe the health concerns with the burning materials are greater with EVs. I think that the batteries igniting is something that they will figure out in the long term. But, good point...Right now that's a strike against them.
I'm not a fan of EVs because primarily they are disposable cars. And I like buying used cars.
Don't forget EVs battery fires Can't be put out with water, it is a different kind of fire.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now I'm not an insurer and it's likely that few of IPCT readers are as well but there's interesting info in the article below. Of course many factors seem to point out that insurance premiums for EV's will likely be more that ICE vehicles BUT....I've read that because the increased weight of EV's that the premiums for an ICE vehicle may be increased beacuse the damage they may incur when colliding with a EV! Not sure how factual that is, though....