T568A vs T568B pinout for cameras

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced issues with using the T568A pinout and getting Amcrest cameras to work? I have some of the empire tech rebranded Dahaus and they have worked perfectly with my Cat 5e cable that is terminated with T568A pinout on both ends. When I hook up the Amcrest ip5m-t1179ew-36mm I can see the device pop up on my network but I get a time out error when I try to connect to the camera. I tested it out with a cable with a T568B pinout and it magically worked.

Is there some sort of requirement for Amcrest cameras and using T568B pinouts? I'm confused as to why my empire tech cams would work fine with it and the Amcrest wouldn't.

Reaction score
If both ends of your cable are the same pin out (either 568a or 568b), it doesn't matter. Heck...I could come up with my own proprietary color code of a rainbow as long as the other end is identical rainbow. Take a look at each end of your cable. Could be a crossover cable, or DIY cable where someone actually did 568a at one end and 568b at other end.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck...I could come up with my own proprietary color code of a rainbow as long as the other end is identical rainbow.
That is incorrect. The order does matter. You cannot simply match colors at each end. There are multiple threads explaining this when users are dumbfounded as to why their new connections dont work or drop packets.
I do agree that the op's issue is probably a bad crimp/cable.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck...I could come up with my own proprietary color code of a rainbow as long as the other end is identical rainbow.
If you did, you'd fail.
Do a bit of study on how ethernet signallng works, how it depends on the electrical characteristics of a twisted pair of wires.
And how resilient it's designed to be, such that at a higher level it can still appear to work even with faulty cabling giving degraded signalling.
The standards are there for a good reason

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback all. After climbing up on a ladder late yesterday evening and looking at the RJ45, it looked like one wire in the pin out wasn't fully seated. As soon as I fixed that, it fired right up. What threw me for a loop for the longest time was that the was showing on the network as if all was well which made me think it wasn't a cabling issue. It was a good learning moment.

Reaction score
I can admit when I'm wrong :) I have had customers punch down cables (cat3/cat5/cat5e...not cat6) to their unknowingly incorrect color code and have network equipment work, but have never tested/certified the cables.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The only difference between T568A and T568B is the color of the insulation on the pairs. As far as performance, they are the same. B is by far the most common of the two standards and should be the one you use when making new cables.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another reason to observe the standard terminations (T568A or B) is due to the different twist ratios between the pairs. Noise & crosstalk between the pairs are minimized due to these ratios, ensuring signal quality point-to point.
Next time terminating a CAT cable, check the pairs - very easy to see the twist ratios.twist.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Grrrrr, For my 1.5 year Career at Prime Communications...I used to terminate cat5, and Coax. Usually for Ge Healthcare,,,they said 568B. BUT...If we came into a hospital where the infrastructure was punched 568A we followed their Scheme to keep the network closets from being a nightmare.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bottom line is that as long as pins 1&2 and 3&6 have the same pairs on both ends, you're good to go.
That is OK for 100Mbs, but won't work for 1G networks. Need all 4 pairs for gigabit.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, bottom line is that as long as pins 1&2, 3&6, 4&5 and 7&8 have the same pairs on both ends you're good to go. We're talking 100Mbps cameras, not gigabit links here. 568B seems to be, more or less, the default standard with 568A fading into less and less use.