Suitable NVR for my setup

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Found the site a few days ago and have been reading up as much as possible and trying to take as much in so I can get it right first time when doing my first home setup. The site has been a great help so far! I know most of you will be fed up of newbie questions but I hope you'll be able to spare a few minutes to help and it would be much appreciated.

My main criteria is mobile viewing (mobile phone via app preferably) and motion detection/line crossing to trigger recording.

Equipment I have narrowed it down to so far:

IP Camera - Hikvision 2342 turret (1 initially but might expand to 2/3 in the future)
PoE Switch - TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 8-Port
HDD - WD My Passport Ultra Exclusive Portable Hard Drive - 1 TB (as i'm hoping to set this up for alarm events only i'm hoping this would last a few days and then can be over written)

The only thing I am caught up on now is which NVR to go with. Do i stay with Hikvision or go elsewhere. I have been looking at the Hikvision range but there are so many to choose from it's a minefield at best. Am I right in saying it is the NVR which will determine the mobile viewing platform/app that I can use and also determines the motion detection capabilities as well?

Thanks in advance

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply gents it's much appreciated and it's saved me a few hours of head scratching trying to compare specs etc.

Seen the option to add a 1TB WD purple HDD to the Hikvision 7604 so will go for that.

Good news as well if i don't need a separate PoE switch, guessing i was maybe looking at bigger setups with multiple cameras and it's not needed for a small setup like mine.

Noticed quite a few people saying some of the Hikvision NVR's were having problems picking up the new Hikvision 4mp cameras, do you know if this has been sorted with a firmware update for the 7604 yet?

Also I am in 2 minds where to setup my NVR. Camera will be mounted 1st floor level so was either position NVR in attic/upstairs cupboard and then run that down to my router in the living room or run a long ethernet from camera all the way to my living room and have my NVR right next to the router......

Or.........and i'm not sure if this is possible but wirelessly connect the NVR to the router to save wiring not sure if i would get the upload/download speeds needed or it might suffer from drop outs (but it would be the easy installation option)

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply gents it's much appreciated and it's saved me a few hours of head scratching trying to compare specs etc.

Seen the option to add a 1TB WD purple HDD to the Hikvision 7604 so will go for that.

Good news as well if i don't need a separate PoE switch, guessing i was maybe looking at bigger setups with multiple cameras and it's not needed for a small setup like mine.

Noticed quite a few people saying some of the Hikvision NVR's were having problems picking up the new Hikvision 4mp cameras, do you know if this has been sorted with a firmware update for the 7604 yet?

Also I am in 2 minds where to setup my NVR. Camera will be mounted 1st floor level so was either position NVR in attic/upstairs cupboard and then run that down to my router in the living room or run a long ethernet from camera all the way to my living room and have my NVR right next to the router......

Or.........and i'm not sure if this is possible but wirelessly connect the NVR to the router to save wiring not sure if i would get the upload/download speeds needed or it might suffer from drop outs (but it would be the easy installation option)
Hi I wouldn't recommend wireless. Worst case you could use powerline networking.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
I have noticed the powerline adaptors, I know that wired will always be better but how comparable are the powerline networks in comparison?

4Cams

n3wb
Reaction score
I have noticed the powerline adaptors, I know that wired will always be better but how comparable are the powerline networks in comparison?
It depends on the equipment installed, quality of the lines internal, and number of devices on the network. For traditional LAN traffic, it's an excellent way to extend connection endpoints, but for high-res camera streaming I would recommend doing your homework and purchasing a setup with enough headroom to handle the necessary traffic, which means more $$$.

* Full disclosure: I do not currently have a setup utilizing IP cams over Powerline Ethernet, (or any IP cameras currently) - I am researching like you -> planning to install a setup within the next few weeks.

But having some experience in a powerline ethernet topology install in business environments, typical reliable throughput is 35% - 50% of stated max., and drops per endpoint accordingly - depending on distance, line noise, and number of devices. * Bear in mind most vendors state the (full-duplex) rating of the device, while the effective throughput rate is half (50%) of that rating.. Marketing ..

Watching your thread w/ interest.

"Hikvision NVR is really 1 option only: the DS-7604NI-E1/4P 4Channel with 4xPoe Ports." - Strongly considering this NVR w/ wired cabling here - thanks NetViewCCTV.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Powerline networking is a mature technology. However, the advertised speeds are usually the total bandwidth (split between upload and download), are terribly optimistic and achieved speeds depend very much on the wiring in your home. At the moment, with the fastest 1200Mbps (advertised/claimed) devices, the realistic speeds you can achieve are at best around 300-400 Mbps, probably half of that. However they are more reliable and do not suffer from drop-outs as much as wireless.

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks acp-xt as with most manufacturer specs I've learned to take them with a pinch of salt but that's exactly the details I was looking for and gives me an idea

My only thought with this is.....with me only using the PoE ports on the NVR that are max 100Mbps then even with 3 cameras the realistic speeds achieved by the power line network should really be affected as it is limited by the NVR anyway?

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should be okay. Powerline speeds do fall off quite a bit with distance and hopping ring mains. Even so, you should get at least the bandwidth required for 3 cameras. I don't have this set up but there must be others on the forum who do use powerline networks for IP camera traffic.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One area where my current QNAP NAS NVR does max out gigabit ethernet is when I review multi camera footage at 16x speeds. So this is something to consider as well. Of course you would have the same issue with WiFi.

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
House isn't too big so fingers crossed the electrical path for the powerline won't be too bad, I managed to get a netgear av500 (500mbps) powerline kit for free earlier so will give that a go running the single camera for the time being and see how I get on, will upgrade if needed for the single camera or when I expand down the line

im hoping I'll be able to review the footage through either the ivms-4500 app or the 4200 programme but if I need to actually download anything stored I could always just do this via my laptop hard wired to the NVR as this will hopefully be very few and far between

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan!

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad you agree mate lol, I swear I would be sitting still scratching my head trying to understand it all if it wasn't for this site and folk like yourself lending a helping hand, slowly getting a grasp of it so the next thing is to get it set up

ordered the NVR and camera earlier so that should turn up before the weekend with a bit of luck

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
7604 definitely seems the best option for my setup

Thanks Travieso but i have already bought one (also i'm in the UK), would be interested to find out why you're changing though?

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No worries, Yeah shipping to UK would probably kill the deal, I'm trying to sell it cause I've outgrown it. I'm going on 6th Cameras on my Property, Thus I would need a minimum of 8 Channel NVR

calum.001

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok rather than start a new thread I'll try to see if I can get an answer here to my ridiculous newb question

Got everything hooked up and installed....but

do I need to hook up a monitor to the nvr and set up via the mouse or should I connect (wirelessly or wired) via my laptop using a particular software for initial setup? All of the instructions I've read skip this part

the only software that came with the nvr is ivms 4200 and vsplayer, no SADP which I have heard mentioned a lot.....

any help to this stupid question is much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
do I need to hook up a monitor to the nvr and set up via the mouse or should I connect (wirelessly or wired) via my laptop using a particular software for initial setup?
You can run it 'headless' and do everything via the web browser - though it needs to be IE11 (not Edge on Win10 or Chrome) so you can install the ActiveX webcomponents plugin that you'll be prompted about.
Best connected wired if you want good results with Live View or Playback.
SADP is good for finding cameras and setting their IP addresses and activating on first use (V3.x), and can be downloaded here: http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/tools_82.html