Success with Gmail and Hikvision?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I do have an ip addressed reserved for my nvr in the router.

Next issue appears to be that I'm getting motion emails every minute (200 since last night). Despite turning down sensitivity, and in most situations I have no idea what motion would possibly have been detected! But maybe that's for another thread!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I do have an ip addressed reserved for my nvr in the router.

Next issue appears to be that I'm getting motion emails every minute (200 since last night). Despite turning down sensitivity, and in most situations I have no idea what motion would possibly have been detected! But maybe that's for another thread!
See my posts above.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you enable 'Rules' (local configuration) on the NVR, and have video content analysis ticked, you will be able to see on Playback and Live View what triggered the motion or intrusion or line crossing alert.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks guys (missed that part in your post fenderman). Will try that when I'm back in the weekend.

How do the settings in the camera interact with the settings in the NVR?

Eg, I noticed I had set the camera settings to constant bit rate, but because in the NVR I had left the default setting at variable the camera would revert back to variable when I exited and went back in. Just curious if line crossing (will have to look up what that is and how it works) another motion event triggering has to be set a specific way in the nvr vs the cam.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@pbc since you are using an NVR to drive your system you want to control your settings via the NVR. You can run into issues when you start playing with the camera settings outside the NVR since that is you "control center". Some people start causing conflicts and create larger issues when the cameras and NVR start working against one another. There are certain settings and functions that can run parallel to one another but for the most part let the NVR drive everything since you made that investment. Also as the motion alerts go - make sure you set your trigger areas nice and tight and that they don't fill your entire screen/area, that only increases the likely hood of false alerts. Good luck!

Set small trigger areas, at the start of the walkway I have a line crossing line set as well.
Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 8.32.24 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you enable 'Rules' (local configuration) on the NVR, and have video content analysis ticked, you will be able to see on Playback and Live View what triggered the motion or intrusion or line crossing alert.
Just an example of the NVR showing what events it was reacting to that can be set to trigger motion detection etc
The green squares are where motion was sensed, the 'line crossing' has turned red, the 'intrusion detection' is still green.

NVR_31.jpg

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, having a look now. But what do I set in the individual camera settings themselves? Do I shut off all motion detection in the camera menus and only do the work in the NVR?

Just curious if I do this, does it negate the point of the sd cards in the cameras?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do I shut off all motion detection in the camera menus and only do the work in the NVR?
It's the cameras that do all the motion detection analytics, take any local action that's configured, and inform the NVR of the events, for it to take whatever actions are configured.
When you configure camera settings in the NVR, you are using the NVR as a 'proxy' to configure the cameras indirectly from whatever camera settings are supported in the NVR interface.
The detail of this varies with the NVR firmware revision and only covers a subset of what is available directly in the camera.

For example - in earlier NVR firmware eg 3.0.8 you won't be able to configure line crossing detection and intrusion detection in the camera, just motion detection. But in later versions eg 3.3.4, you can configure all these.
I hope that makes sense.

geek7899

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gmail has issues with non-secure app
You need to go into your account settings for that gmail account and enable access for less secure apps. Hikvision software or whatever you are using isn't classified as 'secure' by gmail.
Don't stress, even apps like Microsoft Outlook are classified as non-secure and won't work without enabling non-secure option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk