Success with Gmail and Hikvision?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been struggling to setup the email notification in my Hikvision NVR and cameras. Have tried numerous iterations of the gmail smtp protocol. 465, 587, 25. smtp.gmail.com, smpt.googlemail.com, SSL on, off. Went into my gmail account and allowing less secure apps, even tried completely disabling my firewall temporarily.

But get the same "Failed to connect to the Test Server".

Should I just give up on gmail, and try a Hotmail or Yahoo Acct?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, not following what you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

...or are you saying, abandon gmail?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. I remember reading about someone's issue with Gmail's smtp server but I can't remember what it is. Try Yahoo and see what happens.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Works for sure with gmail using these settings:

Server Authentication: CHECKED
User name: xxxx@gmail.com
Password: xxxx
Confirm password: xxxx
Sender address: as you want
Receiver 1: as you want
ENABLE SSL: CHECKED
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465

I think google blocks attempts coming from different IP addresses (geographically far from each other) in a very short time frame. So the most clear solution would be to create new dedicated account for the cctv only.

Try gmail smtp using the above settings.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's another idea...

I'm using gmail in 5.2.0, port 465, SSL enabled, smtp.gmail.com for smtp server. It kept failing. I logged into email and gmail had said it was blocking outside access. I had to go into its security and allow access from "less secure" devices (i.e. anything not a browser), thus letting it function as a service account. Hopefully hikvision's lazy security approach won't compromise the account. Of course, I'm not using my main gmail account. I have a second mostly worthless one I use for this, and the camera itself will just email that account, which I then within gmail have set to forward to my primary, so that my primary is not mentioned in the camera at all.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Q2U, but already tried adjusting that setting in gmail.

Just tried my Hotmail account, same issue. Guess I will try yahoo next, but must be a setting issue somewhere.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Q2U, but already tried adjusting that setting in gmail.

Just tried my Hotmail account, same issue. Guess I will try yahoo next, but must be a setting issue somewhere.
post a screenshot of your NVR network settings.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here you go. Curious, I am currently using the same settings in both the NVR as well as the camera itself, not sure which supersedes the other for various functions.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@pbc ok, add 8.8.8.8 for your dns server on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried that, but it won't let me type into the two boxes?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
..which is odd as I could have sworn it was 8.8.8.8, unless that was in a specific camera.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes, just checked a camera and it is 8.8.8.8. But the NVR web interface won't let me adjust it?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
done..same issue with my yahoo/rogers account. Maybe I will try switching back to gmail...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
done..same issue with my yahoo/rogers account. Maybe I will try switching back to gmail...
yes go back to gmail..
Also, dont forget to triple check the obvious...username and password...

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting, still getting the "failed" error, but emails are now coming through....too many of them given there isn't any motion! So assume I have my motion sensitivity too high..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, still getting the "failed" error, but emails are now coming through....too many of them given there isn't any motion! So assume I have my motion sensitivity too high..
Your best bet is to record 24/7 and use line cross detection for email alerts...or use motion detection set to a low threshold to record and use line crossing to alert..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But the NVR web interface won't let me adjust it?
That's because you have DHCP enabled, so all the IP configuration is being provided by the DHCP server on your router.
And the DNS values are not being supplied, so the NVR will be unable to access internet resources such as mail servers.
Unless you have your router DHCP configured to provide a 'reserved' IP address for the NVR, you would be much better to set the NVR as a static IP address.
That way - you will always know exactly where it is on your network, and you will solve your email problem by being able to specify a valid DNS server.
In theory you should put your ISP-provided DNS server addresses there, but anecdotally, Hikvision NVRs and cameras work better with the Google public DNS server on 8.8.8.8.

*edit* Sorry - it looks like you already got past the name resolution problem.