SMD 3.0 dahua

Reaction score
Dahua just post the SMD 3.0 more details today. For the 3.0 firmware still need 2 weeks to be released, they said have to make sure full working well, so need double testing.

I have 3
IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E if you need a test dummy in sunny and humid florida

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can the SMD 3.0 firmware be used on my HFW5231E-Z12 model?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know that many feel the SMD needs some work, but I'm not sure how much they could improve the AI within the IVS functions.

From my own personal experience - the true test....I have found the AI of the Dahua cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis to Deepstack LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This picture was ran through Deepstack (without the IVS or red lines on it) and it failed to recognize a person in the picture, but the camera AI did in my 5442. The only triggers my AI cameras have are from human or car triggers and is doing so with a lot less CPU than sending pics to Deepstack. This pic says it all and the video had the red box over it even in complete white out on the screen:

1613268961041.png
That's amazing if it works that well! I didn't even notice the person in the image right away! What do the red vs. blue lines represent \ trigger ? So this AI is just built onboard the camera? No setting up sending off snapshots or video streams to a 3rd party free or paid service?

Will these features work without the matching brand NVR, (I use a Blue Iris server), or can the AI work and trigger and pas the trigger to BI and not have to use the BI motion detection? I agree, with BI and this scene me HD would be filled with motion clips by morning as it is when it rains too no matter how I tweak the settings rain, snow and fast moving cloud shadows tend to trip the cameras a lot, to the point that I turned off notifications and just use the set-up as n after-the-fact incident follow up.
It would be worth swapping out some of my cameras if the AI worked this well and worked with BI that well too.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
That's amazing if it works that well! I didn't even notice the person in the image right away! What do the red vs. blue lines represent \ trigger ? So this AI is just built onboard the camera? No setting up sending off snapshots or video streams to a 3rd party free or paid service?

Will these features work without the matching brand NVR, (I use a Blue Iris server), or can the AI work and trigger and pas the trigger to BI and not have to use the BI motion detection? I agree, with BI and this scene me HD would be filled with motion clips by morning as it is when it rains too no matter how I tweak the settings rain, snow and fast moving cloud shadows tend to trip the cameras a lot, to the point that I turned off notifications and just use the set-up as n after-the-fact incident follow up.
It would be worth swapping out some of my cameras if the AI worked this well and worked with BI that well too.
It does work very well the key though is dialing in your camera. In the shot above the blue lines are the IVS tripwire rules and the red is the target breach and target overlay box as it detected the individual in the shot.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Within the camera view from the camera GUI (so it doesn't show up in Blue Iris), you can turn on the IVS rules which are in blue, and then when a subject that matches your criteria is recognized, it turns red, which is the red box. So I pulled that picture from the camera itself to demonstrate it's capabilities.

Yes all this AI is built into some cameras. A simple check box for human and/or motor vehicle and you are good to go.

I am using Blue Iris, so I have the camera in Blue Iris pull ONVIF triggers from the camera itself and do not use the BI Motion Detection. Side benefit is it does bring down CPU just a tad.

This blizzard had my non-AI cameras triggering all night. This particular camera in that shot only had one trigger the whole night and that was this person. Deepstack did not recognize it as a person.

It works so well that I do not see myself purchasing a future camera without AI capabilities!

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am using Blue Iris, so I have the camera in Blue Iris pull ONVIF triggers from the camera itself and do not use the BI Motion Detection.

I always thought BI could not pick up on the camera's internal rule triggers so hadn't looked into it for a long time, but if it can I'm going to start seeing what I can set up on the cameras and do that.
...where is the setting for, "pull ONVIF triggers from the camera"? I see a, "Sources: Camera's digital input or alarm" but nothing referencing pulling in ONVIF but that's a 1st glance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I always thought BI could not pick up on the camera's internal rule triggers so hadn't looked into it for a long time, but if it can I'm going to start seeing what I can set up on the cameras and do that.
...where is the setting for, "pull ONVIF triggers from the camera"? I see a, "Sources: Camera's digital input or alarm" but nothing referencing pulling in ONVIF but that's a 1st glance.
It is in two places that you need to select for it to work - the motion setting screen where you found that, so you have to select that, and then you have to go back to the main camera configuration page where you see the user and password and main/sub stream information and it is one of the boxes bottom right (unless it moved in a recent update)

JasonAU

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there anywhere in the firmware/web interface to identify what version of SMD you are running ?

My DH-IPC-HFW3549T1-AS-PV had some kind of firmware that I've since updated to but dated 2020-11-14 so I'm guessing not this, I did see Algorithm version 1.0.3