Setting up NetTime Time Sync Tool on Windows 10

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of my cameras has a wrong date and time (year 2018!). How can I check to see if it's trying to connect or failing to connnect? The net time log doesn't show any camera activity at all.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
One of my cameras has a wrong date and time (year 2018!). How can I check to see if it's trying to connect or failing to connnect? The net time log doesn't show any camera activity at all.
Make sure you check the box in settings called “Allow other computers to sync to this computer “ and set the logging level to debug. This should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I turned on debug info and no connection attempts from cameras. Here's some settings info:

nettime-settings.PNGnettime-log.PNGcamera-setting.PNGfirewall-setting.PNG

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if these logs should be showing the IP cameras connecting and getting updated? Also. the 123 port is UDP only?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, is should show the cams. Should see a string of NTP responses to cam IP(s).

The screen captures above look OK to me otherwise. Don't see anything obviously wrong on first glance. Looks like the service is running. Maybe try turning off the firewall on the BI server completely to rule that out entirely for public vs private settings, etc. Assuming the IP for the NTP/BI server is correct. Double check that. Should default to UDP on both cams and server so shouldn't need to do anything there.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s all UDP traffic so you can leave it at SNTP. I agree with turning off the Windows firewall as a first step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turning the public firewall off fixes it. Not sure what the work around would be to have a rule so firewall can be on.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Turning the public firewall off fixes it. Not sure what the work around would be to have a rule so firewall can be on.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps ....then uncheck NetTime under Public (Note you may have to "Allow another app"... if NetTime is not listed there)

Last edited:

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interestingly, I don't see NetTime listed. But I think the issue is caused because my second NIC is an "unidentified network" which defaults to public and can't be changed to private.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interestingly, I don't see NetTime listed. But I think the issue is caused because my second NIC is an "unidentified network" which defaults to public and can't be changed to private.
If you click on Allow another app below the Window showing the programs, there should be an option to select any application installed on your computer. You just have to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NetTime or wherever you installed it.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you click on Allow another app below the Window showing the programs, there should be an option to select any application installed on your computer. You just have to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NetTime or wherever you installed it.
Even allowing nettime service though the firewall does not solve the problem. Only turning off the firewall for public allows it to work.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua Cameras Will Not Sync With NetTime - Issue Solved

Background

The Dahua camera Blue Iris system (Windows 10) consists of two Windows computers both connected to the LAN side of a router. The office computer (Windows 11) has one NIC connected to a LAN for internet with connections to other LAN side computers.

Blue Iris is on a Windows 10 dedicated system with two NIC's. One connected to the LAN (IPv4 setup for NO internet access). The other NIC is on a subnet for the Dahua cameras with no internet access. Note: A 24 port POE switch is connected to this Blue Iris NIC for camera use.

NetTime is installed on both computers. On the office machine, NetTime connects to the internet for its time server. While the BI computer is connected to the LAN and uses NetTime on the office computer for its time server.

Issue
NetTime updates time properly for system time for both computers but will not update any of the cameras on the subnet. The "Sent NTP Response" is missing from the NetTime log. i.e. the below data is missing.

Sent NTP response to: 192.168.55.102 (example of missing log data)

Process
Port 123 was checked on both systems and the port is open on both. The Windows Defender Firewall lists both NetTime EXE files as allowed apps.

The Defender Firewall was turned OFF on the BI machine for both "Private" and "Public" networks. At this point NetTime log updates showed "Sent NTP Response" to connected cameras as follows. i.e. cameras now updating time.

NPT_Response.PNGNPT_Response.PNG

Settings
These settings worked on this system. Others will have to chime in and verify if the same settings are operational on their dual NIC computer systems utilizing NetTime.

The Windows Defender Firewall looks like this on the BI computer that is now working with NetTime

Windows_Firewall_Settings.PNG

For NetTime to work properly, on BI, it was necessary to turn the Firewall ON for both "Private" and "Public". Then as listed below include both "Private" and "Public" for "Network Time Synchronizer" and "Network Time Synchronizer - NT Service" as allowed apps. (Check both boxes)

On the BI computer, "Windows Defender Allowed Apps and Features" the following apps are listed. (See below image)

Defender_Allowed_App_Settings.PNG

If not listed ("Network Time Synchronizer" and "Network Time Synchronizer - NT Service") both can be added in the Windows Defender Firewall using the "Allow another app..." button.

Both files ("NetTime.exe" and "NetTimeService.exe") are listed in the NetTime folder most likely on C drive > Program Files (x86). Add both of these EXE files to the allowed app section as posted in the above image. Plus check mark both "Private" and "Public" for these two apps.

(Did not test or verify that both NetTime EXE files are needed in the allowed app section.)

cmderden79

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to get this setup. I also have zerotier running for remote connection which has a virtual NIC that may be confusing me some. I have followed the instructions in this thread, tried both with firewall on and off, but have had no luck so far. Logs show no connections. I have tried both the IP of the PC blue iris is on, as well as what ipconfig shows as the IP under the ZeroTier NIC 192.168.195.xxx. not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming that you're running it on the BI PC? In that case use the local IP for that machine.

Check services for W32Time and stop/disable it if it's running. It will have grabbed port 123 already.

If it stops when you have the firewall up, create a rule to allow UDP port 123.

cmderden79

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming that you're running it on the BI PC? In that case use the local IP for that machine.

Check services for W32Time and stop/disable it if it's running. It will have grabbed port 123 already.

If it stops when you have the firewall up, create a rule to allow UDP port 123.
UPDATE - went back and reread everything to see if I missed something and my old "not an IT guy" would kick me. Someone else had to do this so that old curmudgeons motto of "when in doubt, reboot" still holds true. All working as expected after reboot. Thanks again,

Thanks for the response

Correct same PC...and yes I am trying the local IP (as shown in router for blue iris PC, and also in blue iris webserver for LAN)
I now have stopped W32time - so far no connections from the camera are showing in the debug logs for NetTime.
Correct I do have the UDP port to allow incoming requests on 123 rule in place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dahua cam keeps changing it's time zone after a few days. NTP is set to ntp.org and the camera has access to the internet. What is going on? On log it shows as admin logging in and changing the time zone then saving the config and logging out all within a matter of a few seconds. This is such bullshit then IPC keeps syncing with the wrong time zone to the ntp server. Would blocking the access to the internet fix the issue? What's going on?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, this thread is about using a software application on a PC, NetTime, to operate as a time server for IP cameras on the LAN.
Yes, you're seeing one of many reasons why IP cameras should not have direct access to the Internet.

How are you viewing/recording the cameras now, through a NVR or a PC?

Reaction score
First, this thread is about using a software application on a PC, NetTime, to operate as a time server for IP cameras on the LAN.
Yes, you're seeing one of many reasons why IP cameras should not have direct access to the Internet.

How are you viewing/recording the cameras now, through a NVR or a PC?
Nvr is recording the cam stream. However it's a an unrelated different brand

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nvr is recording the cam stream. However it's a an unrelated different brand
Ideally the NVR would get the correct time and the cams get it from the NVR, but if they're not the same brand or the NVR is not a POE NVR then that likely won't work.
Also, a POE NVR will isolate the cameras from the Internet by placing the cams on a private subnet.