Setting up NetTime Time Sync Tool on Windows 10

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@TheE
I also am in texas the central time zone.

Look at my post #19 on page 1 of this forum post. It has the correct setting of a camera for central time zone and DST.

The IP address the computer that Nettime is on, most of the time this is the BI computer. IF you are using TWO NICs, then it is the IP address on the BI camera NIC.
Appreciate that, sir. I believe what's confusing me is that there is no "GMT-06:00" option within my Time Zone settings. I looked through the list twice; is it labeled as something else?

The camera is a 5231R-ZE, running V2.800.0000015.0.R, Build Date: 2020-04-30 .

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is in the drop down on the camera time zone selection list? I do not have a 5231R-ZE.

provide a screen shot of the drop down list and the General time configuration screen

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Appreciate that, sir. I believe what's confusing me is that there is no "GMT-06:00" option within my Time Zone settings. I looked through the list twice; is it labeled as something else?

The camera is a 5231R-ZE, running V2.800.0000015.0.R, Build Date: 2020-04-30 .
It's there, scroll slowly.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. My wife is out of town and I have the 10 month and 3 year old to myself :p :banghead:

Here are the screenshots. If you see anything wrong I did, please feel free the advise.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Attachments

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I did not know how to complete Step 5 of TL1096's instructions to confirm if everything is working. But I do believe I figured it out with the previous screenshots I posted. As you can see now, my exported videos now have the times on them. If I missed something, please let me know. If not, thank you all again for your time in helping - it's greatly appreciated!

Cleck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this writeup. I found the Nettime program myself but was wondering how to use it. I was having trouble syncing time w/ my cameras, even though I could go into the settings and change the method to update the time. Manual wasn't working and trying to sync to another ntp wasn't working either. I found out how to add the nettime server and the cameras now seem to be recording (and displaying the time) accurately. Thanks!

Edit: I take it back, they are not syncing. I did put the exception into the Firewall settings as well.

1597418099841.png

This might be a problem I think I've had before w/ ports being opened on my router. I have 1 open for my Xbox currently, will I have to disable that whole setup if I want this to work correctly?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I found out how to add the nettime server
The one out on the internet.

Thanks for this writeup. I found the Nettime program myself
If you've created an NTP server on your LAN - why are you not using it in the configuration screenshot above? I don't follow.

This might be a problem I think I've had before w/ ports being opened on my router.
You don't need any 'opened ports' to access an internet-based time server, nor for a local time server on the LAN. The traffic stays local.

Cleck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The one out on the internet.

If you've created an NTP server on your LAN - why are you not using it in the configuration screenshot above? I don't follow.

You don't need any 'opened ports' to access an internet-based time server, nor for a local time server on the LAN. The traffic stays local.
Because maybe I didn't do it right? After setting up the ntp to use the nettime info, it must not have liked whatever I did and reverted it to manual updating. I came back in and it wasn't updating the time and my video timestamps were all screwed up.

Tried a few other things, it didn't work, so as a last ditch attempt, I just set the ntp to the ip address of the computer that I have BI on (also where I installed Nettime) and it has been staying synced since.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera points to the net time server, normally the bI PC. In example below my BI PC is on 192.168.2.235. DST is set in the camera. Different cameras have slightly different settings, but generally work the same way. I have one junk camera that does not have DST capability.

time2.jpg

Time3.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
as a last ditch attempt, I just set the ntp to the ip address of the computer that I have BI on (also where I installed Nettime) and it has been staying synced since.
That's good, that's how it should be.
You got there.

Cleck

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's good, that's how it should be.
You got there.
Yeah, I was obviously confused when everyone was saying put your Nettime server in, I guess it didn't click that the pc was the server. I thought it was reaching out to Nettime or something to sync the time, and I was trying to find the ip address for nettime everywhere, lol. It has been a long day, but at least I got this straightened out. Thanks

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Can I use NetTime to synchronize the time on my 3 Hikvision NVR's to my main computer? I use IVMS-4200. My camera's of course synchronize their time to their prospective NVR. Thank You for any help.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Can I use NetTime to synchronize the time on my 3 Hikvision NVR's to my main computer? I use IVMS-4200. My camera's of course synchronize their time to their prospective NVR. Thank You for any help.
If there's a place in the settings to point to a time server, then it should work fine. Same as other time servers that you'd point it to, you're just running it locally on your network and using a local IP address.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
If there's a place in the settings to point to a time server, then it should work fine. Same as other time servers that you'd point it to, you're just running it locally on your network and using a local IP address.
I found it under Network in the NVR's. When I clicked on Network, five or six items showed up across the top and one of them was NTP. I then clicked on NTP and I entered my home computer address on my LAN line of 192.168.X.XX. Now we shall see if that works. I also rebooted my home computer. I think I have the time to reset at every 60 minutes.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You didn't mention but I'm assuming that you installed and set up the NetTime server on that machine.

Also, if it doesn't seem to work, then you may need to let that traffic through the Windows firewall on the server.

Many devices provide a test function on that same NTP setup page. If so, then that would save you some wait time. Or you could shorten the time to update.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
You didn't mention but I'm assuming that you installed and set up the NetTime server on that machine.

Also, if it doesn't seem to work, then you may need to let that traffic through the Windows firewall on the server.

Many devices provide a test function on that same NTP setup page. If so, then that would save you some wait time. Or you could shorten the time to update.
Thank you for that. Yes I did install NetTime on my home computer. Thank you for the Windows firewall information.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
A little update. In order to get NetTime to work I had to go into Windows Defender and set up an outbound and inbound rule. I had to click on UDP and assign the port as 123. I hope this helps someone with Windows 10.