RTSP permission denied - DS-7208HGHI-K1

tiger1975

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, after reading many posts and forums about how to get an RTSP video signal with DS-7208HGHI-K1, it seems like Hik-Connect Video Encryption is the main issue.

My devices and settings:
DVR Model: DS-7208HGHI-K1
Firmware: V4.30.203 build 210616
I have 6 cameras
I have the Hik-Connect Android app to watch cameras and playback working perfectly (with Video Encryption enabled). Some people recommend disabling this Video Encryption but I don't understand the implications of this after reading too many posts still confused. Is there any possibility of decrypting the video streaming in RTSP like Hik Connect does? I need to keep the Hik-Connect app working perfectly.
I can go to my Google Chrome and do and using my user+password I can log in perfectly (but I can't watch the cameras for some reason...)
DVR is connected in ethernet with my router on 192.168.0.225 and port 554. All cameras are wired to the DVR.
I am using a Notebook with Windows, VSCode, Python, and OpenCV in Wi-Fi 2.4GHz same router as DVR (but DVR is in ethernet)

What I tried:
1. Using Python code with OpenCV, I want to take the RTSP Video Streaming from my DS-7208HGHI-K1 (same network, 192.168.0.X, local) but it is not working. The same Python code works with other cameras and DVRs perfectly. I am capturing the RTSP Signal using cap = cv2.VideoCapture("rtsp:/admin:password@192.168.0.225:554/Streaming/channels/101/") is not working, says "no frame".
2. Using my Google Chrome, going to , and using my User+Password I can log in but I can't watch cameras, they are 100% gray.
3. Using Windows OS and going to Media Player (native app for video and music) when I use the RTSP protocol to watch the camera using "rtsp:/admin:password@192.168.0.225:554/Streaming/channels/101/" it says "We can't open 101. You don't have permission to access the file."
4. I tried also using a BASE64 encoding like: and it says error 4 Invalid Operation.
5. If I do in Google Chrome "" it says:
<userCheck>
<statusValue>200</statusValue>
<statusString>OK</statusString>
<isDefaultPassword>false</isDefaultPassword>
<isRiskPassword>false</isRiskPassword>
<isActivated>true</isActivated>
</userCheck>
6. RTSP Authentication and Web is in Digest/Basic
7. Downloaded VLC Player and using rtsp:/admin:password@192.168.0.225:554/Streaming/channels/101/ it shows a black screen with a "beep" sound continuously (without error)

I haven't tried it yet:
Someone recommended the Hik-Connect API to access and develop things. Is that paid or free? Any experience doing that? I prefer my own RTSP connection but if there is no possibility I will go for this.

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the DS-7208HGHI-K1 go to System => System Service and insure RTSP is enabled and authentication type is set to "Digest".

Also, regarding viewing live video with a browser you may have to use IE or Palemoon 32bit and allow the plug-in to install in order to view live video.

tiger1975

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @TonyR , thanks for your answering and reading my issue.

I read many posts that recommended "RTSP Authentication" in Digest/Basic instead of only Digest. Could you help me to understand more about this option?

Also, I read about the "Hik-Connect Video Encryption" is the main issue. People say there is no way to do RTSP if you have Hik-Connect Video Encryption "enabled". Is that true? Could you help me to understand this feature and implications?

Last think: Hik-Connect Integration I found this link, seems like an API to use Hik Connect information. Is that free? Any experience using that?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Downloaded VLC Player and using rtsp:/admin:password@192.168.0.225:554/Streaming/channels/101/ it shows a black screen with a "beep" sound continuously (without error)
It does seem like the video is encrypted.
Suggestion : disable video encryption and re-test if VLC can show the video stream.

tiger1975

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! Someone with API Hikvision experience? to get data from hikconnect

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That API is on demand with NDA . What are you trying to do?

In order to use hik-connect or hik-partnerpro api you also need APIKey which are given only to integrators/developers companies with signed NDA .

Maybe what you are trying to do can be done other way around.

1707245919801.png

Last edited: