Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

toyso

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys, for the quickly answers.
I've really made a mistake. The camera needs +12V power supply. I've corrected it and the cameras have worked fine and immediately. One of them got a 'home made PoE' with a cable 15 meters of length and works very well (the wires 4/5 have '+' and the 7/8 have '-').
Sorry and thanks again!

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys, for the quickly answers.
You're welcome!

I've corrected it and the cameras have worked fine and immediately. One of them got a 'home made PoE' with a cable 15 meters of length and works very well (the wires 4/5 have '+' and the 7/8 have '-').
I always make my cables using decent quality solid-core cat6 for all my installs... I know some will argue that cat6 isn't necessary for IP cams, but a network is only as strong as its weakest point and IMHO using good cable can save some headaches later on. I've also done a few 'home-made PoE' installs, by just splicing in the power from the 12VDC connector into the cat. As long as the cable run isn't long enough to drop voltage (attenuation), it works quiet well!! :encouragement:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope you've got one of those big magnifiers on a stand that you get from LIDL! You're going to need one ...

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All the tools of the trade
Now days its all the tools of the hobbies, lol

P.S Microphone arrived today, so only 3 more things to come before the fun starts.

Last edited by a moderator:

bls

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
P.S Microphone arrived today, so only 3 more things to come before the fun starts.
One thing I found interesting with the IPC modules is that the audio input pins want line input levels, or about 2Vp-p, rather than mic level, or about 2-5 mV, like what an electret mic element supplies. My cameras that came with mic's all simply use an electret mic element and I just finished adding mic's to several Dericam H206C bullet style cameras that only required adding an electret mic element. For my IPC modules I was going to build an amplifier circuit to use with an electret mic element, but decided to simply order some with built in amplifiers as they will be smaller than what I could make using non SMT components and for what they cost it simply wasn't worth the trouble to make my own. Anyway, when mine arrive I'll also let everyone know how I make out with them. As for adding a mic to a Dericam H206C, I'll provide a link to details about this on my web site as soon as I get the web page done.

Barry

ex250

n3wb
Reaction score
Just reveived the mine, on the version it states: V2.2.2442 - 20141205 This is an old board, not? I cant see the chip model because is a heatsink attached on it.

ex250

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, seems that I have done something like an update, now this is the new version:

There is a manteinance window and just click over update begin... the process completed and some new features appeared.

ex250

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have such menu, the mine is like this, when I check the tab "device config" appears that rectangle with inside options, if selected the "system" tab the content is like the one in my previous post

kyle1058

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd start off with a huge thank you for this thread and everyone's input, I bought a couple of these and so far good things to say after the setup!

I only have one big question, has anyone ever tried to use these outdoors? I would like to convert these or encase these somehow so they will be okay in the elements... even if they only last 8-12 months? I live in the midwest (USA), so they will see rain. I'm okay with wiring/soldering or designing/machining something if i have to (manufacturing engineer that works off-shift, has a few perks).. but i would rather take the simpler or cheaper way out first, and spread my findings if I can't find any others.

Any info on outdoor/weather on these I would appreciate! Thank you!

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
has anyone ever tried to use these outdoors?
Not as yet ... But my method will be

1. Remove lens and apply PTFE (plumbers tape) to the lens threads.
2. Silicone sealant into cable hole (and a rubber boot if available or if you can be arsed)
3. Rubber stretchy tape (coax seal ?) over joint between back cover and case
4. Plastic washers to external screws

That should sort it

MikeSav

n3wb
Reaction score
First post here. Thanks for this topic.

I just want to point out that the Escam QD310 is based on these:

"Hardware" : "HI3518E_50H10L_S39",
Version: V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.1307, BuildTime: 2014-05-26 10:04:55AM

I bought one last August from DX. Looks like you can get them through Amazon for $46 now. It has been mounted outdoors under a porch roof with no problems since then. No POE, though.

I made a config file that works for Synology Surveillance Station 6.3, if anyone is interested.

Mike

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update

All parts arrived... so just to state the blee*ing irrelevant,

The 1MP Hi3518E board with 1/4" OV 09712 preforms well, but the 1.3MP Hi3518E board with 1/3" AR 0130 is better

Dur!

Plot lost... but I'm sure it will return :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Did anyone tried to set up FTP upload of recording/snapshot on motion event? I tried to configure it but it is not working!
Steps I did:
1. Enabled FTP NetService and entered server details
2. Enabled Video Motion alarm, defined motion detection region, checked FTP checkbox, and pushed Snapshot and Record Channel buttons
I'm getting motion alarms in log but nothing uploads to ftp server.
FTP server is on my local network (same as camera) and I can connect to it from other computers.
Camera firmware version is V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.1303

Did I missed something? Can someone confirm it works?

Thanks.

FTP NetService:

Video motion settings:

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Did anyone tried to set up FTP upload of recording/snapshot on motion event? I tried to configure it but it is not working!
Steps I did:
1. Enabled FTP NetService and entered server details
2. Enabled Video Motion alarm, defined motion detection region, checked FTP checkbox, and pushed Snapshot and Record Channel buttons
I'm getting motion alarms in log but nothing uploads to ftp server.
FTP server is on my local network (same as camera) and I can connect to it from other computers.
Camera firmware version is V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.1303
I have the same question with FTP. Only thing I know - you should enter ftp address with ftp:// prefix in the beginning.

PS. I tried a several different variants and even no connection to FTP server! Someone - help us! :)

PS. I've just tried to write the address without ftp:// prefix and the camera wrote a still JPG image to my FTP. The question is how to write video clip there....

Reaction score
PS. I've just tried to write the address without ftp:// prefix and the camera wrote a still JPG image to my FTP. The question is how to write video clip there....
That's progress :) I couldn't get even a still picture. Can you take screenshot of your settings (FTP settings and motion detection settings)?

Reaction score
That's progress :) I couldn't get even a still picture. Can you take screenshot of your settings (FTP settings and motion detection settings)?
I'm sorry, I can't give you the screenshots right now. I've dismantled this test installation and moved that to the target location. So the cam is not installed. To get the possibility to upload the pictures to FTP you should update the manager app and upload the latest firmware (from march this year). Then just enter IP address without ftp:// prefix. Plus in motion detection - enable FTP sending. Be sure that the folder you are going to upload has necessary rights.