Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this eBay seller you @EMPIRETECANDY or is this someone stealing photos?
This seller also has another photo from IPcamTalk website for the Hikvision panoramic cameras.

1685491625175.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It can be done, but you have to have enough ambient light (streetlights) for the camera to get a focus and enough of a warning from the spotter cam to get it to the capture point with a second or two to focus. Im getting 99%. You can see it search for a focus on this one, but with 30FPS I get enough frames to choose from to get a good one

Home_PTZ_main_20230530034138_@5.jpg
View attachment Home_ch7_20230530034131_20230530034141.mp4

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this eBay seller you @EMPIRETECANDY or is this someone stealing photos?
This seller also has another photo from IPcamTalk website for the Hikvision panoramic cameras.

View attachment 164484
I really doubt that it's Andy, and we've always had a problem with photos being stolen from reviews on this site.
Even had parts of reviews plagiarized and used in selling materials.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
So after 24 hours with this cam thanks to the Memorial Day sale with @EMPIRETECANDY, there are a few things I really like, but a few other things leave me a little bit underwhelmed or really annoyed by. So here's a quick bit on the good, the bad, and the ugly of the SD4A425DB-HNY:

The good:
1) Image quality is excellent, as we've come to expect from these Dahua cams.
2) Auto-tracking works very well. It's amazing how the AI can see humans and vehicles through leaves and tree branches.
3) Setup was easy and I had no problems (factory reset on initial power-up for good measure).
4) LPR is definitely more than possible with this cam (see above post).

The bad:
1) Internet Explorer, a completely outdated and obsoleted browser, plus installing the ActiveX plugin for IE was the only browser that allowed me to configure IVS tripwire lines (and more generally, draw anything on the image in any other kind of IVS rule). I only have a Mac, so I had to jump through lots of hoops getting a VM to run to even be able to use IE. Pale Moon (Mac), Chrome, Firefox, and Safari didn't work. I understand that we are not the primary market for these cams and Andy does us a favor, but I don't see how this would even work in the business world. And I know we've discussed this a bunch already on the forum. But as a web developer by trade, I had to include this in "the bad", because this is just a huge no-no in my profession. At least I got it working, though. So it's just "bad", but not "ugly".

The ugly:
1) The HTTP API implemented by the latest firmware on this cam (General_SD-Gauss_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.821.0000006.1.R.230316.bin) actually removes functionality that exists in the API on other cameras. Of course the one we all know about is day/night mode. I understand that this camera is oriented more toward a business/power user who may not use it like us in residential settings, but the firmware implements 8 different profiles (Day, Night, General, Front Light, Back Light, Strong Light, Low Illuminance, Custom1, Custom2) and allows us to select the time they're enabled by month. Definitely helpful in the UI, but a huge oversight to not be able to change to a profile manually by the API.
2) The HTTP API also does not allow changing of any of the image settings for these profiles (brightness, contrast, etc). This is an unfortunate regression/oversight and makes the API much less useful.
3) The HTTP API doesn't allow setting a focus by passing a number. This makes it impossible to set a PTZ position for LPR and then to manually adjust the focus.

It feels like the API is just incomplete. Either that or it was purposeful/intentional to remove the functionality, which would be a huge disappointment.

I feel like many of us here are "power users", which is why we buy these cams in particular. Not only are they great quality and perform very well, they provide a wealth of features that allow geeks like us to dial in exactly how we want them to behave. As a software developer and a non-Windows guy, I'm not a BI user, but I use Frigate as an NVR and Home Assistant to automate everything. I have a few 5442's already and my experience with them all around (HTTP API included) has been stellar. So the lack of functionality in the HTTP API for this cam has given me a little bit of remorse for buying it.

With all that said, don't let my feelings prevent any of you from buying it. It's a great cam, but as it is, just not quite what I personally was expecting. Are there workarounds to my issues?

@EMPIRETECANDY, what's the likelihood of a new firmware version with these missing features returned to the HTTP API?
Yes for most normal users this camera is good enough to go.
1. For this camera's browser we never use the IE anymore, do on chorme always good. But we are Windows, what is your Mac version i can check with dahua.
2. For Issue 2, i am waiting dahua to give us some further guide. Will watch on this.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes for most normal users this camera is good enough to go.
1. For this camera's browser we never use the IE anymore, do on chorme always good. But we are Windows, what is your Mac version i can check with dahua.
2. For Issue 2, i am waiting dahua to give us some further guide. Will watch on this.
Thank you Andy, this is why we buy cams from you - you continue to be a great support to us and advocate for our needs with Dahua!

I just tried to draw some IVS lines using the latest version of Chrome for Mac - Version 114.0.5735.90 (Official Build) (arm64).

I can begin drawing a line, but after only a few clicks, it is not reliable and no longer registers clicks after that. If I try to press "Apply", I get the error "Please draw graphics".

Also, thank you so much for asking Dahua about the HTTP API. Many users here would greatly benefit from being able to adjust camera parameters and especially the day/night mode!

This camera is almost perfect. With just some firmware changes, it will be great.

If you need any more info, feel free to send a message to my inbox here.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
48 hours in, and I'm actually happier with this cam now. Andy has contacted Dahua on my behalf to take a look at the Chrome/Mac issue for drawing IVS rules (Chrome on Windows works fine). I've also found a way to set day/night profiles externally without the HTTP API (web developer experience helps tremendously here!), and it should be straightforward to integrate everything with Home Assistant.

I can now say I highly recommend this cam!

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
48 hours in, and I'm actually happier with this cam now. Andy has contacted Dahua on my behalf to take a look at the Chrome/Mac issue for drawing IVS rules (Chrome on Windows works fine). I've also found a way to set day/night profiles externally without the HTTP API (web developer experience helps tremendously here!), and it should be straightforward to integrate everything with Home Assistant.

I can now say I highly recommend this cam!
Details on the external Day/Night profiles?

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Details on the external Day/Night profiles?
It's a messy hack emulating the web interface with some Python code. It would not be intuitive for the average user to set up. So let's hope Dahua comes through with changes to the HTTP API.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The 20pcs sold off in the past week for this model, currently stock in US all use up, new stocks have to wait to next week, UPS too slow these days. Currently still show pending on delivery.

1685586918836.png

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See how many people really wanted the correct sensor size for this mini ptz just in this forum Andy? Tell Dahua to make one and Dahua will kick Hikvision off the #1 spot.:p
This is odd one. Why did Dahua rebrand 2 year old cam from Hikvision? Would have been nice for sure if they build their own one with better sensor

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same exact camera that I've been using for couple of years from Hikvision Value Series 4 MP Indoor/Outdoor 25× Network IR PTZ Camera

They re released it again as another model, but not much changed

Despite dated sensor, it's still my favorite cam though. compact 25x ptz with auto tracking is awesome.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same exact camera that I've been using for couple of years from Hikvision Value Series 4 MP Indoor/Outdoor 25× Network IR PTZ Camera

They re released it again as another model, but not much changed

Despite dated sensor, it's still my favorite cam though. compact 25x ptz with auto tracking is awesome.
SD4A425DB-HNY looks to be the same style or equivalent camera to DS-2DE4A425IW-DE, but don't think Dahua would rebranded Hikvision cameras though, aren't they competitors to each other?