Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This illuminator just went out on me a couple of nights ago. I just checked power at the connector and found only 4vdc, so I thought maybe just the plug in transformer failed. I wired in another 12vdc 1000ma transformer I had lying around, and now I have proper voltage to the illuminator, but it still does not work. I'm thinking it might have failed and taken out the transformer as well. It's hopefully just a bad one. I ordered another one for tomorrow.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This illuminator just went out on me a couple of nights ago. I just checked power at the connector and found only 4vdc, so I thought maybe just the plug in transformer failed. I wired in another 12vdc 1000ma transformer I had lying around, and now I have proper voltage to the illuminator, but it still does not work. I'm thinking it might have failed and taken out the transformer as well. It's hopefully just a bad one. I ordered another one for tomorrow.
I wonder if the transformer failed and wasn't supplying enough voltage to the illuminator and caused it to fail as well from improper voltage. The PSU's that are included are under powered in my opinion. One of my illuminators would randomly shut off and then come back on. I plugged my other identical illuminator into the same PSU and it did the same thing. I bought two new higher amperage PSU's and haven't had any issues since.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note: From website, Furthermore, all Tendelux products are backed by a 2-Year warranty and lifetime continuous support.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I received another one today. I tried to reuse the base and just screw the new illuminator on, but apparantly they changed the post threads from metric to standard pitch. Also, they are now using an all plastic jamb nut with plastic threads! I couldn't get it tight enough to hold solid, and eventually stripped the threads on the nut. I found a stainless 1/4-20 nut in my hardware collection to use in place of the garbage plastic nut supplied, so now it's nice and solid. They use steel for the stud now, instead of the zinc/pot metal the old one was, so I was not as worried about cranking it down as I was on the last one.

It's back up and running. Fingers crossed.

20230814_185812.jpg
20230814_185355.jpg

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's funny that you posted this. I think I am experiencing the exact same issue. My illuminator (I have the larger one), basically has gone out. If you look really close you can see a tiny amount of red illumination, but it is probably 2% of what it should be. I was going to post something here, but decided against it until a swapped out my power supply because I really feel like that is the culprit. But I've been busy and the power supply is in the attic (which is like 150 degrees in the day and maybe 110 degrees at night right now) so I haven't been very motivated to swap it out.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
You can get adapters to split the power off from Poe if you really wanted to.
+1 on this. The POE splitters have simplified a couple of my camera and IR mountings. And since everything runs off the NVR which is hooked up to a large UPS, the IRs stay on during power outages.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 on this. The POE splitters have simplified a couple of my camera and IR mountings. And since everything runs off the NVR which is hooked up to a large UPS, the IRs stay on during power outages.
Do you have one to recommend off of Amazon?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used the TP-Link splitters for these and various other things and never had any problems with them. You can set 3 different output voltages with those, I think it's 5v, 9v, and 12v.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can get adapters to split the power off from Poe if you really wanted to.
I guess you are talking about something like this:
Yeah, still relying on an external DC transformer though and you then have to mount that close enough to the camera AND make sure you protect it from weather/heat. But better than nothing I guess.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You still have to power that with a dc wall wart which is what I was saying it would be great to avoid.

The one I posted runs 100% off of POE which eliminates another point of failure.
No, it's POE. You plug POE into one end, it splits out data and power on the other end at whatever of 5V/9V/12V depending on how the switch is set. The barrel connection that is shows is the output.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
No, it's POE. You plug POE into one end, it splits out data and power on the other end at whatever of 5V/9V/12V depending on how the switch is set. The barrel connection that is shows is the output.
Ahh ok. I stand corrected. I didn’t look at it closely enough.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got around to mounting my 2nd Speco Technologies IR60 IR illuminator. Here is a picture of it mounted near my LP2 camera. I am not sure that the light from the light fixture will be enough to drown out the IR illuminator like the other location did to the naked eye. The test will be tonight when it gets dark and to see if it even works.

IR Illuminator A.JPG