Review- New Design Tendelux 10 Watt IR illuminator.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct. I bypassed the power input diode on the internal circuit board, so the 12 V inside the camera from the POE circuit comes back out the barrel connector. Just needs a gender changer.
I might give that a try. It sure is the easy way out for me. I have done some electronic work in the past and have a soldering iron just for that purpose. Thank you for your reply and the links.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind, those premade extension cables, most of them have teeny tiny wire in them, so they may not be totally reliable if they were not made perfectly at the factory.
Best bet is to make your own extension with some 18gauge copper wire.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Which camera model drives a 10 watt external illuminator? The models where I've bypassed the diode start struggling in the 5 to 6 watt ballpark.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
What are you using for the camera power?
I'm using a Cisco POE (not +) switch. With a 6 watt illuminator load the port is well under it's maximum output, and I'm basing "struggling" on the output voltage from the camera's 12 volt supply. All of the illuminators I've used are constant power devices, so when the supply voltage goes down, the current goes up, making a sagging voltage even worse. It makes sense that the camera is built to handle the draw of its built-in LEDs, and I doubt that there's much overdesign. I do not use external illuminators for a more powerful light output. Their purpose for me is to get the bugs and spiders away from the camera, and they also have a more even light distribution.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep in mind, those premade extension cables, most of them have teeny tiny wire in them, so they may not be totally reliable if they were not made perfectly at the factory.
You know what, this may be the best route to go for me. The 50' length would be all I need.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not only the 18 gauge wire but I'd also get a more robust power supply. The included PSU's get pretty darn warm.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my twin Tendelux illuminators paired with my mini PTZ. The night vision compared to the stock onboard IR is leaps and bounds better. It really puts the mini PTZ over the top. I did go ahead and order some of the 18/2 gauge wire, 2.1x5.5 DC power jack plug adaptors and two new higher amperage 12 volt power supplies. That way I can make my own cables that will be more robust. I'm going to return the pre-made cables. As mentioned earlier I think the included power supplies are under rated if you are running long extension cables. They get really warm.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I never heard back from Tendelux on a 30 degree illuminator so I ordered this one. It should come in this week.

Speco Technologies Indoor/Outdoor 60 Infrared LED Illuminator (bhphotovideo.com)
The Speco 60 degree IR illuminator showed up the other day. It will be used mainly to augment the IR light for one of my license plate cameras. What I like is the 40" power cable that comes with it. This will easily reach into my garage and out of the weather. The unit itself is fully weatherproof. Here is a picture. I also ordered 50' of the 18 gauge cable that Looney2ns recommended and the connectors that TheWaterbug recommended from above posts.

IR Illuminator.JPG

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
One more thing. Here is a picture of one of my license plate cameras. It is the 5442 on the left. Now with the 5442 on the right I have turned on the IR lighting to augment the license plate camera. To do that I had to make it B/W at night. So I have a couple of options on where to mount the IR illuminator. I think it will be mounted to the side of the beam above the camera.

License Plate Camera LP1.JPG

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got my Speco 60-degree IR illuminator mounted yesterday. It is mounted right above and slightly to the left of the LP camera in the above picture. It is the 5442E-Z4E on the left. I have to say that I am very pleasantly surprised by it. I do not know what it is, but it agrees with my Dahua 5442E-Z4E camera. The lighting is not too bright, nor too dim. I went through 2 hours of video last night and I was able to read 100% of the plates. Now the couple without a front plate I was able to pick the rear plate number up on another LP camera. I had the other 5442E-Z4E on B/W at night so that I could turn on its LEDs to help the LP camera. I reverted back to 24/7 color on that camera as this is a much better option. Here are some photos from last night including the worst one of the evening. I think I will buy another one and mount it next to another LP camera that I have.

Here is a picture of an older plate on the lower end of the reflection scale.

License Plate 7252023.jpg

Here is a picture of the marginal plate and by far the worst of the night. 6W81308

License Plate 7252023 Marginal.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Any of these the new plates that don't reflect as well?
Not from last night. I did have one come by without a front plate, but my other camera picked up the rear plate. It was the one in the tree and closest to the road. I will check tonight's video in the morning and see what I come up with. Usually, a couple come by. They have a black background with orange lettering. Then there are those people that put a thin "clear" plastic cover over the plate, and they do not show up well. I will say that this IR illuminator is a step in the right direction, at least for the 5442E-Z4E. I cannot say for the 5241 or the 5231.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
This is from last night. A total of 39 cars went by in an hour and a half. No specialty plates which is kind of strange. Again 100% of the plates. Interesting that on this particular camera I have to adjust the focus maybe once a week. However, someone was trying to be tricky, and I will post the front and rear plates of the car.

Front plate.

License Plate 7273023 Covered Plate.jpg

Rear plate.

License Plate 7272023 Rear of covered plate.jpg