Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I have proposed that 2MP camera to him at least 3 times and he keeps rejecting it LOL.

Please post some video of your SD8 skyline and weathercam shots.
I will do over the next few days but the lens needs cleaning first :)

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Its only a 2mp camera and been out a while but you might want to take a look at the DH-PTZ1A225-HNR-XA That could look straight up at the sky should you so wish. Additionaly the SD8 series of cameras are very heavy and i certainly would not want to put one on a pole unless it was a substantial diameter we have one that we purchased for a locaton that fell through and now its an expensive skyline/weather cam on my chimney.
I'm not really interested in the DH-PTZ1A225-HNR-XA model, as @wittaj has already offered it to me several times, but I'm not really convinced by this camera.

Currently under the weather station I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2087G2-L, that when I put a PTZ (probably on a dedicated 50 mm stainless steel pole) I will change the position of the Hikvision facing north and completely towards the sky, not vertically because the circle of the lens will fill with water, but without seeing the village.

Actually just remembered we did this last year of the moon, not great but I was pretty pleased the model is DH-SD8A840WA-HNF
Is this the camera model that fell off the pole? The truth is that the video looks very, very clear, and the zoom is superbly large.

Yesterday I sent Andy a private message to get a quote for the SD8C845FG-HNF and SD5A425XA-HNR cameras and I have already received it. Now I just need to make up my mind. What is your opinion on where I want to mount these two cameras?

I like your YouTube channel. Sometimes I also watch RailCowGirl channel :D

Attachments

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I have proposed that 2MP camera to him at least 3 times and he keeps rejecting it LOL.

Please post some video of your SD8 skyline and weathercam shots.
I'm not really interested in the DH-PTZ1A225-HNR-XA model, as @wittaj has already offered it to me several times, but I'm not really convinced by this camera.

Currently under the weather station I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2087G2-L, that when I put a PTZ (probably on a dedicated 50 mm stainless steel pole) I will change the position of the Hikvision facing north and completely towards the sky, not vertically because the circle of the lens will fill with water, but without seeing the village.

Is this the camera model that fell off the pole? The truth is that the video looks very, very clear, and the zoom is superbly large.

Yesterday I sent Andy a private message to get a quote for the SD8C845FG-HNF and SD5A425XA-HNR cameras and I have already received it. Now I just need to make up my mind. What is your opinion on where I want to mount these two cameras?

I like your YouTube channel. Sometimes I also watch RailCowGirl channel :D
No the camera never actually fell off a pole i was just saying that due to the weight and size I would not be confident mounting it on anything less than 125mm diameter and preferably much bigger like a telegraph pole. The SD8 is totalover kill for what we do but the location it was intended for it was ideal but short lived due to external issues.

To keep the thread on topic we have just ordered a SD5A425XA-HNR for a location to replace a failed SD49225XA

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Will there be much difference in night vision between the SD5A825GA-HNR and the SD5A425GA-HNR?
Yes at night the 8MP version would need twice the light as the 4MP version as they are both on the same size sensor. It would be comparable to the example I provided to you earlier of a 2MP versus 4MP on the same size sensor.

If you chase MP and get one not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio you will be disappointed. The lower MP version on the same size sensor will always perform better at night.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes at night the 8MP version would need twice the light as the 4MP version as they are both on the same size sensor. It would be comparable to the example I provided to you earlier of a 2MP versus 4MP on the same size sensor.

If you chase MP and get one not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio you will be disappointed. The lower MP version on the same size sensor will always perform better at night.
As I'm not very interested in night vision either, I asked Andy for the price of the 8 Mpx. As you know, I want to install the camera for a weather station, so I don't need the night vision to be very accurate.

I had originally told Andy that I would buy the SD8C845FG-HNF, but its dimensions are terrifyingly large, although its performance is ideal.

I think in the end I will buy the SD5A825GA-HNR (he still has to tell me the price) and the 180° IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE which has a better resolution than the Hikvision one, which has a very long image.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I'm not very interested in night vision either, I asked Andy for the price of the 8 Mpx. As you know, I want to install the camera for a weather station, so I don't need the night vision to be very accurate.

I had originally told Andy that I would buy the SD8C845FG-HNF, but its dimensions are terrifyingly large, although its performance is ideal.

I think in the end I will buy the SD5A825GA-HNR (he still has to tell me the price) and the 180° IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE which has a better resolution than the Hikvision one, which has a very long image.
LOL...but you did ask "Will there be much difference in night vision between the SD5A825GA-HNR and the SD5A425GA-HNR?" and I was replying to that question as there will be a big difference between any camera offered in different MP on the same size sensor - the lower MP will always perform better at night...

In the case of this camera it could be the difference between color or B/W at night.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the case of this camera it could be the difference between color or B/W at night.
Would it really make a difference between being able to see in colour at night on the 4 Mpx camera, to having to see it in B/W with the 8 Mpx camera?

And this 45x zoom model SD5A445XA-HNR-1T would also be interesting, although at night it would be a flop. But then again, I have another ColorVu camera recording. What does DHOP stand for?

P.S: Something is going on in the forum, it is very slow to load pages, they go blank.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would it really make a difference between being able to see in colour at night on the 4 Mpx camera, to having to see it in B/W with the 8 Mpx camera?

And this 45x zoom model SD5A445XA-HNR-1T would also be interesting, although at night it would be a flop. But then again, I have another ColorVu camera recording. What does DHOP stand for?

P.S: Something is going on in the forum, it is very slow to load pages, they go blank.
Yes it could. See my comparison in your other thread of the 2MP 49225 PTZ versus the 4MP 49425 PTZ both on the same size sensor.

We have enough anecdotal evidence and proof in images posted here within this forum proving beyond all doubt that two cameras on the same size sensor that the lower MP will perform better at night than the higher MP version on the same sensor.

If someone offers us the option of two cameras on the same size sensor - most of us will chose the lower MP camera.

There is a reason we say "Don't chase MP, chase sensor size".

I chased MP and bought the 4MP 49425 PTZ and within months purchased the 2MP 49225PTZ and the results are dramatic difference at night as shown in the other thread. In the daytime, the difference isn't what you would expect either. If I posted a daytime pic of the two, it would be a flat out guess as to which one was the 4MP and which one is the 2MP. It is why I was pushing that 2MP PTZ that can look straight up for your weather cam. Those mountains how ever far away they are will not look any better with 4MP versus 2MP - they are simply too far away.

If you chase MP over sensor size you will be disappointed. Especially now that you have seen what an 8MP on the proper 1/1.2" sensor can do. An 8MP on the 1/1.8" sensor will be a letdown.

These sensors are tiny, so we want to get the biggest sensor we can afford.

Any combination that is not in the green will perform poorly at night.

1679150476933.png

The Dahua Hardware Open Platform (DHOP) is an open application platform that allows third-party applications to be downloaded and installed on Dahua Network Cameras. It provides end-users with the right solutions to optimize their security or loT environment. You would have to be an experienced IT person to start messing with this LOL.

Last edited:

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We have enough anecdotal evidence and proof in images posted here within this forum proving beyond all doubt that two cameras on the same size sensor that the lower MP will perform better at night than the higher MP version on the same sensor.
Thank you again for your information.

Then I will have to make the final decision between SD5A825GA-HNR and the SD5A425GA-HNR. The 8 Mpx obviously I will have better quality in the daytime, and sacrifice better quality at night, although it is not essential for me. I think that the decision will only be marked by the price difference, if there is not much difference, I would still opt for the 8 Mpx which would stay in the yellow box of the table.

And I am also going to buy the IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE model.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Then I will have to make the final decision between SD5A825GA-HNR and the SD5A425GA-HNR. The 8 Mpx obviously I will have better quality in the daytime, and sacrifice better quality at night, although it is not essential for me. I think that the decision will only be marked by the price difference, if there is not much difference, I would still opt for the 8 Mpx which would stay in the yellow box of the table.

It was only a $30 more for the 4MP 49425 PTZ compared to the 2MP 49225 PTZ and it should be the other way around LOL. I still have both and the 2MP consistently outperforms the 4MP day and night, but especially at night.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I saw the price of SD5A825GA-HNR on Andy's Amazon store for $849.99. But it also mention the model was temporarily out of stock.

The SD5A425GA-HNR 4MP is courrently priced at $806.45 on Andy's aliexpress store. It was slightly cheaper maybe by $20-30 a week ago.
I was interested in both cameras as well, that's why I check them every few days.:)

Also, Andy's Amazon store have the wrong picture for SD5A825GA-HNR.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I adjusted the aspect ratio on the Hikvision 180 so it wouldn’t look so long.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I saw the price of SD5A825GA-HNR on Andy's Amazon store for $849.99. But it also mention the model was temporarily out of stock.

The SD5A425GA-HNR 4MP is courrently priced at $806.45 on Andy's aliexpress store. It was slightly cheaper maybe by $20-30 a week ago.
I was interested in both cameras as well, that's why I check them every few days.:)

Also, Andy's Amazon store have the wrong picture for SD5A825GA-HNR.
That price is the price before the sales. Currently shows the sales price.
SD5A825GA-HNR pic has been changed to the right one, the 4K one we will invite @Wildcat_1 to make a review,the amazon stocks can be ready to ship around Middle April.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on SD4A425DB vs SD5A425XA? Based on CMOS SD5A425XA would be winner at night, but what about other feature comparison?

Any combination that is not in the green will perform poorly at night.

View attachment 157253
This is a great chart, how does this account for SD4A425DB as that would sit in the red correct?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on SD4A425DB vs SD5A425XA? Based on CMOS SD5A425XA would be winner at night, but what about other feature comparison?

This is a great chart, how does this account for SD4A425DB as that would sit in the red correct?
The SD5A is far superior to the SD4A.

Yes the SD4A sits in the red and thus it does not perform well in dark environments. This model would only be selected for the form factor size where someone wants a smaller PTZ and is willing to sacrifice night performance in sake of size.

Contrast that to two turret cameras that are the same size where one camera falls in the green and the other in the red - at that point it doesn't make sense to chose the camera in the red.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry, this is reviving an old thread, just wanted to say superb information on here as always, chart above is also gold :D. I came here since one of my 49225's is playing up with auto iris. Wondering if the smart thing is simply get another one if I can. Initial thoughts were to go with a 5442 sensor in a PTZ but now having second thoughts on that. Night performance is my goal, do love my 5442's but the 49225's have been work horses.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@CamCrazy I cannot know if this camera will work for you, but since you mentioned that night performance is your goal, I thought I'd mention that I have both this camera and the PTZ1A225-HNR-XA. Both are supposedly of the same generation, but the PTZ1A225-HNR-XA has the smaller sensor and to me, the difference is dramatic. I also think the PTZ1A225-HNR-XA IR illumination is noticeably less at great distances, compounded by having the smaller sensor. The PTZ1A225-HNR-XA will even struggle to focus on something at night when my SD5A425XA-HNR will focus clearly. I believe my SD5A425XA-HNR is clearly superior for night performance, and this in turn impacts how well the auto-tracking works at night. My SD5A425XA-HNR has dramatically better auto-tracking at night than my PTZ1A225-HNR-XA, even though they are supposedly of the same generation and should track equally well, but I see a big difference in auto-tracking at night.

@EMPIRETECANDY Seeing this thread caused me to look at your website to check the firmware version for this camera. I have the "XA" version of this camera (same as the title of this thread, SD5A425XA-HNR) but they are not listed on your website for firmware. Instead you have the "GA" version (SD5A425GA-HNR). What is the difference? It would be helpful if you would add the SD5A425XA-HNR specifically to your firmware download page so we know whether it uses the same or different firmware. Currently I'm running the 2022-08-04 firmware, and it's running fine so I'm certainly not asking to upgrade, but it would still be good to explicitly name this model on your site.