Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

RuralDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@RuralDude - If I am not mistaken, this uses the same GUI as the 4xxx series, so there isn't an "auto track" option, instead you enable it.

Also make sure you are using Internet Explorer - not Edge or Chrome with the IE tab. The Dahua PTZs need Internet Explorer or your track time will default to 15 seconds regardless what you put in.

You need to set up a preset.

Then you need to set-up the Smart Plan with Deep IVS for the presets you want to track.

Then select the object filters you want.

Then go to Deep IVS Rules Config page and you should see Track Time under alarm and Tracking Target size slider.

When setting up IVS rules, I strongly recommend you use intrusion box with appears and crosses instead of tripwire. And less is more. One IVS rule.

Leave min size as 0,0

Make sure that Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection are turned off.

I repeat, make sure Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection are turned off LOL.

View attachment 147243

If you do not have the above screen with the Tracking Target Size, then you have a version without autotrack.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong and the 5xxx series uses a different GUI layout.
Ok, Thanks so much for the info, It does indeed have auto-track, my smooth brain did not know how to set it up.
Again, thanks so much!

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just purchased this PTZ through Andy and should be arriving in the next few weeks.

I happened to stumble upon the topic of PTZ cycle limits on the SD49225XA thread. Am I correct to assume this is going to apply to this model as well? Anyone have any idea how many cycles it takes to get to this limit? Is there anywhere in the settings to see how many cycles the camera has currently?

I'm wondering if Dahua is using the same chips and motors on the 5A425 and 49225. Or maybe the 5A425 has upgraded versions

I do plan on using spotter cameras and no patrol, so this probably should not be an issue.

I have plans for a different PTZ where it will follow cars along a road. That would probably give 50-100 trackings per day. Limits might be reached in this scenario fairly quickly I would think

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased this PTZ through Andy and should be arriving in the next few weeks.

I happened to stumble upon the topic of PTZ cycle limits on the SD49225XA thread. Am I correct to assume this is going to apply to this model as well? Anyone have any idea how many cycles it takes to get to this limit? Is there anywhere in the settings to see how many cycles the camera has currently?

I'm wondering if Dahua is using the same chips and motors on the 5A425 and 49225. Or maybe the 5A425 has upgraded versions

I do plan on using spotter cameras and no patrol, so this probably should not be an issue.

I have plans for a different PTZ where it will follow cars along a road. That would probably give 50-100 trackings per day. Limits might be reached in this scenario fairly quickly I would think
I would think it would be the same.

Somewhere on here I thought someone said it is 500,000 cycles, but someone that got the warning had it on auto-patrol every 15 seconds (so 5,760 cycles per day) and got the warning at 439 days, or 2,528,640 cycles, so at 100 trackings per day, you will be fine

Reaction score
I've been trying to download the updated firmware for my PTZ1A225-HNR-XA from Dahua's site HERE but after download it just says the file is corrupted... I've tried different browsers and different computers but still the same issue. I have a strange issue with the camera, it will just cycle back and forth over and over again, almost like an IDLE route but I dont have any IDLE options configured... Think the website file is bad?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been trying to download the updated firmware for my PTZ1A225-HNR-XA from Dahua's site HERE but after download it just says the file is corrupted... I've tried different browsers and different computers but still the same issue. I have a strange issue with the camera, it will just cycle back and forth over and over again, almost like an IDLE route but I dont have any IDLE options configured... Think the website file is bad?
Have you tried a factory reset and set the camera up from scratch without importing in settings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best practice to do a firmware update is to factory reset, flash the firmware, and then factory reset again and build the camera from scratch...

Too many instances of a firmware not taking properly if you do not do these steps...

pandamac

n3wb
Reaction score
Now that internet explorer is dead, I haven’t had good luck using alternatives like pale moon to change the tracking timer. Does anyone have a workaround?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now that internet explorer is dead, I haven’t had good luck using alternatives like pale moon to change the tracking timer. Does anyone have a workaround?
Try following some of the suggestions in the recent threads that discuss how to get it back:

nwiceman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the random reboot and bitrate changing issues that others have mentioned with this camera. I downloaded the latest firmware (DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.812.0000032.2.R.220804) from Dahua. However, when I try to extract the .ZIP, I get a popup that it's invalid. Is there another location where I can find this firmware?

RuralDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the random reboot and bitrate changing issues that others have mentioned with this camera. I downloaded the latest firmware (DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.812.0000032.2.R.220804) from Dahua. However, when I try to extract the .ZIP, I get a popup that it's invalid. Is there another location where I can find this firmware?
I have this file if you want it.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, good morning.

Since I am also interested in this SD5A425XA-HNR camera (but the one we all really like is the SD8C845FG-HNF :love:) and I would like to ask you a few questions related to this camera. And I would also have to ask if there is still availability and the price of both.

I see that this camera generates a lot of sympathy and there are many people who have bought it, I am also hesitating to buy it as the SD8C845FG-HNF model I think is going to be really expensive, although the 8 Mpx, the 1/1.2 sensor and the 45X zoom makes this camera not to be taken out of my head, like a summer love.

First of all, forgive me @wittaj because I keep asking for information in different posts about different cameras, and he is always helping me.

The camera I want to incorporate is only going to be dedicated to a weather station, so the only thing that matters the most to me is the hardware and not the software as I am only looking for basic things.

The first thing I wanted to ask you is if this camera can be set to stay in various positions throughout the day. For example (below in the image I put a little graphic description) that the camera stays still for half an hour focusing on a part of a mountain, then another place and so on in a loop.

Then I would also be interested to know if this camera can look at an angle towards the sky, so that the view is not only 90° to the mast, but also 45°, for example.

And finally, and I think this will be a basic thing that it will also incorporate, is to be able to send images to an external FTP server, and to set the sending with a timer of three minutes or so.

Thank you very much for all the information you have contributed to this post, I have read it all, but the information I was looking for was not there.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, good morning.

Since I am also interested in this SD5A425XA-HNR camera (but the one we all really like is the SD8C845FG-HNF :love:) and I would like to ask you a few questions related to this camera. And I would also have to ask if there is still availability and the price of both.

I see that this camera generates a lot of sympathy and there are many people who have bought it, I am also hesitating to buy it as the SD8C845FG-HNF model I think is going to be really expensive, although the 8 Mpx, the 1/1.2 sensor and the 45X zoom makes this camera not to be taken out of my head, like a summer love.

First of all, forgive me @wittaj because I keep asking for information in different posts about different cameras, and he is always helping me.

The camera I want to incorporate is only going to be dedicated to a weather station, so the only thing that matters the most to me is the hardware and not the software as I am only looking for basic things.

The first thing I wanted to ask you is if this camera can be set to stay in various positions throughout the day. For example (below in the image I put a little graphic description) that the camera stays still for half an hour focusing on a part of a mountain, then another place and so on in a loop.

Then I would also be interested to know if this camera can look at an angle towards the sky, so that the view is not only 90° to the mast, but also 45°, for example.

And finally, and I think this will be a basic thing that it will also incorporate, is to be able to send images to an external FTP server, and to set the sending with a timer of three minutes or so.

Thank you very much for all the information you have contributed to this post, I have read it all, but the information I was looking for was not there.
You gonna love me answering your questions LOL...

Most of the Dahua PTZs other than the one I sent you about in your other thread have a limit looking upward of 15 degrees.

All of the Dahua PTZ cameras have a cycle option that it can rotate among various presets at whatever frequency you want.

All of the Dahua cameras have an option to send to FTP servers or save local to an SD card or to a computer. Here is how to set it up:

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You gonna love me answering your questions LOL...

Most of the Dahua PTZs other than the one I sent you about in your other thread have a limit looking upward of 15 degrees.

All of the Dahua PTZ cameras have a cycle option that it can rotate among various presets at whatever frequency you want.

All of the Dahua cameras have an option to send to FTP servers or save local to an SD card or to a computer. Here is how to set it up:

So that's all clear, I just need to know how much money I decide to invest, because from $750 to more than $2,000 is a big difference.

Thank you very much.

Robertomcat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well the SD8C845FG-HNF gives you an extra 5 degrees of tilt, so 20 degrees.

Just something else to push you that way LOL.
You're making like the demon next to my ear telling me to jump into the abyss :D

Another thing against the SD8C845FG-HNF model is its large size, because it is 43 cm high, compared to 33 cm for the SD5A425XA-HNR. Anyone who sees a camera of that size will think I'm spying on them 24/7 :nervous:

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're making like the demon next to my ear telling me to jump into the abyss :D

Another thing against the SD8C845FG-HNF model is its large size, because it is 43 cm high, compared to 33 cm for the SD5A425XA-HNR. Anyone who sees a camera of that size will think I'm spying on them 24/7 :nervous:
Its only a 2mp camera and been out a while but you might want to take a look at the DH-PTZ1A225-HNR-XA That could look straight up at the sky should you so wish. Additionaly the SD8 series of cameras are very heavy and i certainly would not want to put one on a pole unless it was a substantial diameter we have one that we purchased for a locaton that fell through and now its an expensive skyline/weather cam on my chimney.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Its only a 2mp camera and been out a while but you might want to take a look at the DH-PTZ1A225-HNR-XA That could look straight up at the sky should you so wish. Additionaly the SD8 series of cameras are very heavy and i certainly would not want to put one on a pole unless it was a substantial diameter we have one that we purchased for a locaton that fell through and now its an expensive skyline/weather cam on my chimney.
Yeah I have proposed that 2MP camera to him at least 3 times and he keeps rejecting it LOL.

Please post some video of your SD8 skyline and weathercam shots.