Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I am using profile management to set the day/night settings. That should not effect this?
You want it in schedule mode where you use the horizontal sliders to set day vs night etc. are you using that or just the toggle radio button that says Day/Night. If it’s the radio button only then can cause issues for time based tasks.

Last edited:

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You want it I. schedule mode where you use the horizontal sliders to set day vs night etc. are you using that or just the toggle radio button that says Day/Night. If it’s the radio button only then can cause issues for time based tasks.
yes that’s what I’m using - the slider.

BTMotorsports

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the question is - is the larger sensor worth $310 more to you? The sd5a425xa will perform better at night, especially if you don't have much light.
Thanks wittaj. That was exactly what I needed to know. Just ordered a refurb 49425 for a price I couldn't pass up.

I have several IR emitter floods and regular floodlights available so the sd5a425xa isn't a need at this time.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you’re using the slider then you should be good. Check there aren’t overlap in times in each task
OK @Wildcat_1 - I got the Time task to work - but I still cannot figure out how to set the rule's for preset 2 on the PTZ... when I click that drop down that I've highlighted below - There is no option for preset 2 (I DO have a pre-set 2 for the PTZ)

PTZ screenshot.JPG

Additionally - I just cant get this camera to auto-track.. it was working when I originally started - but I just watched people walk right through both preset's and the camera didnt track them at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to make each preset you want to do tracking on as a Smart Plan first (or Smart IVS I forget what it is called).

I don't know what your other IVS rules are, but those are too small to be reliable. You have to think in 3D. Further half of the object has to pass thru the IVS line, so I can see why it would miss. Make the line larger so that a whole body would pass thru it. In addition, unless you have vehicles driving down the sidewalk, turn motor vehicle off for IVS rules that it wouldn't be needed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, but I would probably stretch them to the end of the grass right before the street so help ensure that half a person would cross the line if they are favoring that side of the sidewalk.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, but I would probably stretch them to the end of the grass right before the street so help ensure that half a person would cross the line if they are favoring that side of the sidewalk.
trying to avoid that - I find if I get that close to the street, the PTZ will chase cars headlights all night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Really, from that rule? Maybe with vehicle unchecked it won't now?

I have a similar vantage point and mine doesn't chase headlights.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Really, from that rule? Maybe with vehicle unchecked it won't now?

I have a similar vantage point and mine doesn't chase headlights.
Might be because I'm close to a corner - so at night the lights project pretty far up my driveway/front yard.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I want to reinforce the point made by @wittaj that the line likely needs to be even taller/higher/closer to the street than you drew in your second iteration. I encourage you to you look at an image of someone (even yourself) simply standing on your sidewalk, I think it will be obvious why you need the lines (or intrusion box) to be higher, even including a part of the street close to the curb. During daylight hours, the tires of a vehicle will be at least some distance into the street, but I acknowledge the potential problem with headlights at night. If someone is walking on the sidewalk, I suspect your current lines would barely cover the legs, and I'm just guessing that the person's head would overlap the street itself.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to reinforce the point made by @wittaj that the line likely needs to be even taller/higher/closer to the street than you drew in your second iteration. I encourage you to you look at an image of someone (even yourself) simply standing on your sidewalk, I think it will be obvious why you need the lines (or intrusion box) to be higher, even including a part of the street close to the curb. During daylight hours, the tires of a vehicle will be at least some distance into the street, but I acknowledge the potential problem with headlights at night. If someone is walking on the sidewalk, I suspect your current lines would barely cover the legs, and I'm just guessing that the person's head would overlap the street itself.
Thank you. This will help me during trouble shooting.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK @Wildcat_1 - I got the Time task to work - but I still cannot figure out how to set the rule's for preset 2 on the PTZ... when I click that drop down that I've highlighted below - There is no option for preset 2 (I DO have a pre-set 2 for the PTZ)

View attachment 142502

Additionally - I just cant get this camera to auto-track.. it was working when I originally started - but I just watched people walk right through both preset's and the camera didnt track them at all.
Hey All - For the most part, I've fixed everything. I'm using intrusion boxes and those seem to work much better - I still have two lingering problems.

1. I have set up a second preset - however, on the screen shot above I cannot select Preset #2... the only option I have is pre-set number one. Because of this (I think) - when someone enters on the spotter cam - the PTZ will move over there, but will not track anyone on that pre-set.

2. The same issue still lingers where I somehow set up my monitor to default to one camera (PTZ) when there is motion - however, there is almost always motion on the PTZ - therefore, instead of my screen showing 12 cameras - it pretty much shows the PTZ the majority of the time. Anyone know how to remove this?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey All - For the most part, I've fixed everything. I'm using intrusion boxes and those seem to work much better - I still have two lingering problems.

1. I have set up a second preset - however, on the screen shot above I cannot select Preset #2... the only option I have is pre-set number one. Because of this (I think) - when someone enters on the spotter cam - the PTZ will move over there, but will not track anyone on that pre-set.

2. The same issue still lingers where I somehow set up my monitor to default to one camera (PTZ) when there is motion - however, there is almost always motion on the PTZ - therefore, instead of my screen showing 12 cameras - it pretty much shows the PTZ the majority of the time. Anyone know how to remove this?
and as soon as I typed this - I realized what the problem was on the Preset 2.. if anyone was wondering - I had to go under "smart plan" and click "add plan" then select preset #2 to set up the IVS for the intrusion box. This is now set up.

My only lingering problem is #2. Anybody have any ideas?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Where in UI3 or in the Blue Iris console?

In a pinch, there is always the UI3 help file and the blue iris help file.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm finally installing this camera tomorrow I bought last month. Silly question, it says it supports PoE+, but does it need anything special? I was surprised to see the large 24v power brick it comes with lol.

Also, the OP review mentions PTZ cameras needing to be installed higher than regular cameras. What is height is optimal?