Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

helipus

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, any camera can be used as a spotter camera as long as the VMS has the capabilities to do so. I know Blue Iris and NVRs do, so hopefully Synology does as well.
I did not find any option yet. Can anyone help who uses Synology Surveilance Station? Can it use spotter cams?
Or can I use a REST API to call the PTZ Presets?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm late to the party and because of that there are now 89 pages I'd have to read to possibly get an answer. Please indulge my laziness for not reading all 89 pages...LOL. This question is in regard to the scenario where a spotter cam commands the PTZ to go to a specific location where the spotter had detected activity then observe/record the activity then return to the original preset location afterwards. I have all that working BUT....my question is how do you extend the period of time the PTZ will observe/record if the subject simply stops moving?

I understand ALARM TRACK (15 - 300 secs) is specifically to keep the PTZ tracking as long as the subject is moving. If the subject stops what is the best way to have the PTZ sit tight for an extended period of time just in case the subject starts moving again? Is it using TIME TASK in the PTZ functions?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^well documented on this forum and one of the biggest requests for improvement.

There is no ability to adjust that time. Once the object stops moving the camera goes back.

This is the same regardless of manufacturer. Hikvision and other folks come here asking same question.

The workaround includes many spotter cams to adjust when that happens. Another solution is to not have the target size so large.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do think they learn though as my Dahua PTZ seems to linger on for 10 seconds or so. Part of that can be by not having it zoom in so tight that you don't give it much to work with. Mine zooms in tight enough that I can see the whole body, so when they stop for their dog doing its business, there is usually a tapping foot or something that keeps it tracking.

With Autotrack PTZs once the motion stops, there is nothing for it to "track" and then it is sitting at a field of view with no Smart IVS rules telling it what to do, so it reverts back.

That is why a robust system is set up with spotter cams and multiple presets so that it can start to pick it up again.

Here is a great thread by @bigredfish that shows how spotter cams can be used to get the object, whether the camera lost track of them or they stopped and it lost track.

helipus

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone accomplished spotter cams for the autotrack PTZ with the software synology surveillance station? I didn't find an option there.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone have a summary post for fine tuning Deep IVS?

I copied various links while tracking this thread over the years but am struggling to dial in my sd49225 now that it's finally up. It's tracking people fairly well, but I would like to improve the settings to hold better when movement stops. My camera angle prevents it from tracking fast moving objects, so not expecting that to work well until I can get another one up and swap coverage areas.

1. I have IVS working using intrusion rule
  2. Tracking target size is 33, I've tried going up and down without much success
  3. Picture brightnass, contrass etc lowered based on previous suggestions.

1654711670521.png
1654711654095.png

Here's an example of tracking breaking. This truck was moving too fast but just sharing for context.

Here's an example of slower moving vehicles working well.

I appreciate any suggestions and input.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest complaint about any tracking PTZ (regardless of manufacturer) is that if an object stops, so does the tracking. You cannot change this timing.

You can usually get it to not loose tracking so quickly if you change the target ratio a bit or turn PFA off, and I think this thing learns LOL. If the target ratio is too large, it will miss faster moving objects and lose tracking faster when an object stops.

My 49225 when I first got it would immediately lose track if someone stopped. Now it will hold at least 10 seconds if someone stops.

I do think they learn though as my Dahua PTZ seems to linger on for 10 seconds or so. Part of that can be by not having it zoom in so tight that you don't give it much to work with. Mine zooms in tight enough that I can see the whole body, so when they stop for their dog doing its business, there is usually a tapping foot or something that keeps it tracking.

Once the tracking stops it will either return to the preset it started at or with a VMS system you could tell it to go somewhere else. It is why many of us use spotter cams to help get it looking the right way if an object stops and starts again.

With Autotrack PTZs once the motion stops, there is nothing for it to "track" and then it is sitting at a field of view with no Smart IVS rules telling it what to do, so it reverts back.

That is why a robust system is set up with spotter cams and multiple presets so that it can start to pick it up again.

Here is a great thread by @bigredfish that shows how spotter cams can be used to get the object, whether the camera lost track of them or they stopped and it lost track.

I use spotter cams as well and it helps tremendously.

Last edited:

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't seen the PFA setting before. Is that within the IVS page?

Checking that threat out now, thank you.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a summary post for fine tuning Deep IVS?

I copied various links while tracking this thread over the years but am struggling to dial in my sd49225 now that it's finally up. It's tracking people fairly well, but I would like to improve the settings to hold better when movement stops. My camera angle prevents it from tracking fast moving objects, so not expecting that to work well until I can get another one up and swap coverage areas.

1. I have IVS working using intrusion rule
  2. Tracking target size is 33, I've tried going up and down without much success
  3. Picture brightnass, contrass etc lowered based on previous suggestions.

View attachment 130164
View attachment 130163

Here's an example of tracking breaking. This truck was moving too fast but just sharing for context.

Here's an example of slower moving vehicles working well.

I appreciate any suggestions and input.
Try your contrast at 53-55 and saturation at 50 to 53. Leave all else alone.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try your contrast at 53-55 and saturation at 50 to 53. Leave all else alone.
Testing this out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does increasing, "Tracking Target Size" help follow objects by not zooming in as much? Lowering Tracking Target Size makes it zoom in more, but can lose track?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Does increasing, "Tracking Target Size" help follow objects by not zooming in as much? Lowering Tracking Target Size makes it zoom in more, but can lose track?
Don't change too much at once. Baby steps.
Increasing the targeting size makes it zoom in more, that represents the percentage of the frame you want zoomed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Other way around. The larger that tracking target size, the easier it is to lose track. The smaller the number, the easier it will hold tracking.

I have set mine to have the whole person in the field of view. That way if they stop for their dog doing their business or something, they are probably tapping a foot or something and it keeps track. If I made the track size larger to be just the head or upper body, then it will lose tracking much faster.

Plus if the object is too much of the image, then the slightest change in speed or direction and the camera will lose track.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Other way around. The larger that tracking target size, the easier it is to lose track. The smaller the number, the easier it will hold tracking.

I have set mine to have the whole person in the field of view. That way if they stop for their dog doing their business or something, they are probably tapping a foot or something and it keeps track. If I made the track size larger to be just the head or upper body, then it will lose tracking much faster.

Plus if the object is too much of the image, then the slightest change in speed or direction and the camera will lose track.
Thanks, already see improvement. Is it ok to use the camera's condition > backlight > modes for WDR to improve the image?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, already see improvement. Is it ok to the camera's condition > backlight > modes for WDR to improve the image?
Use any backlight as low as you can go. WDR at 50 may give a great static image, but then motion will be crap.

So whatever backlight and number you decide on, make sure you test it with motion.

I use WDR for a few problematic field of views and I run WDR at 4 and it a huge improvement compared to no WDR but still allows for good motion.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting PTZ > Function > Idle Motion working correctly. I have it enabled, preset selected, and the preset number I wanted it to return to selected, with idle time at 1 minute. However, the camera doesn't return to the preset I want after it's been called. It stays at the call position even when no activity is triggered until I move it back to the preset I want. Spotter cam is no longer being triggered. Anyone else have experience with this issue or tips?