Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Two quick observations that may or may not be a big deal

1 your target size on the Intrusion zone looks to be to small and not much difference between max and min
2- do you have multiple spotters that command this ptz? I had a hell of a time with multiple spotters until I spent some real time figuring out how the interacted and where I had competing rules. Remember ANY spotter command will force the ptz to break track

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Two quick observations that may or may not be a big deal

1 your target size on the Intrusion zone looks to be to small and not much difference between max and min
2- do you have multiple spotters that command this ptz? I had a hell of a time with multiple spotters until I spent some real time figuring out how the interacted and where I had competing rules. Remember ANY spotter command will force the ptz to break track

I have done some tuning that helped with most of this. Maybe I didn't optimize enough!

Yes, the problem with BI spotters is that there is a decent lag in processing, so sometimes a car already has moved to a different zone by the time the spotter triggers. It does break the track so the camera reacquires lock, but my main use is to flip the PTZ around to the deadend side of the street when a car is parked starts going again, or someone leaves the house. If the PTZ is default looking down the other side, without trying a patrol, this approach works ok. Not perfect, but pretty good.

I can do exclusion zones with the motion detection in the camera, but it doesn't appear to take into account the presets for dealing with the motion detection. Having regions set that are constant when the camera is looking at very different scenes isn't that useful. Maybe I missed something though...

thx!

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do these cameras get hot on the white portion of the cam? I'm thinking of mounting mine inside a wooden box with only the rotating portion exposed.
Also is there any "how to" links for setting up spotter cams to trigger this one to pan to?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider it getting very hot.

Somewhere back in this thread is how to set up spotter cams. Are you using BI or NVR?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok! Here are my settings (and you can see the filed of view in the images I think):

View attachment 119867

View attachment 119868

View attachment 119869
View attachment 119871View attachment 119870

For some reason, when I access the settings through chrome, it resets the track time 15 secs. But in IE I can reset it to the normal 240 secs I use.

The view you are seeing in screen caps is the default PTZ location. The street is a dead end on the other side, so this is the view that gets the most action.

Thanks!
Have you tried the Pixel Counter Size? That may work. In industrial vision systems, I would program with pixel counters to detect the presence and absence of an object. If all else fails, you could try one of these:

bugs-life-i-cant-help-it.gif

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tried the Pixel Counter Size? That may work. In industrial vision systems, I would program with pixel counters to detect the presence and absence of an object. If all else fails, you could try one of these:

View attachment 119999
I have that set, but the insects create a bit of a trail at night with the exposure settings. I had changed them around to optimize for dealing with headlights etc... Maybe I should revisit that...

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have that set, but the insects create a bit of a trail at night with the exposure settings. I had changed them around to optimize for dealing with headlights etc... Maybe I should revisit that...
If you are getting trails, it sounds like your shutter speed may be a bit slow. It is a fine balancing act to get the shutter speed bumped up, but keeping the background noise to a minimum.

Lance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you lengthen the time that it stays on a scene before resetting back to home?
For example... Person walking a dog and stops for the dog to poo, then continues.
The cam will follow them until they stop, then a second or two later it will return home. Can I make it stay in position longer when there's no more movement?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do you lengthen the time that it stays on a scene before resetting back to home?
For example... Person walking a dog and stops for the dog to poo, then continues.
The cam will follow them until they stop, then a second or two later it will return home. Can I make it stay in position longer when there's no more movement?
The biggest complaint about this camera is you cannot adjust that. As soon as it detects no movement, it goes back.

You can "adjust" it some by changing the target size - the more it sees of the person, the more likely a foot will move or something.

But I swear this thing learns LOL. When I first got it, it would go back after a second or two, now it will stay on the person for 10 seconds if the person stops for their dog to do their business.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
does anyone know where to install the sd card in this camera? i have searched the manual and documentation and the dahua website but cannot find the info anywhere.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is on the black part on the back opposite side of where the lens is. Unscrew 4 screws and take the back off and the SD card goes in there.

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to add an external mic to a 49225? I have a microseven mic I used with another Dahua cam, and a POE splitter. We know these cams take a lot of power. I have I 60W POE injector for my 49225. The cam works fine without the mic and the POE splitter. With the POE splitter and the mic, the cam doesn't boot consistently or crashes a minute after boot. I am thinking my POE splitter is too weak. It is this one: It only outputs 15.4Watt. That is not enough for the 49225.

If you have added a mic to a 49225, do you use a splitter or do you use a non-powered mic? If you use a splitter, which one do you use? Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow I would think that would work.

Is the Injector a POE+ injector? I have seen some 60 watt injectors that do not meet the POE+ 802.3at standard, so if that is the case, adding the splitter is probably just enough to not power the PTZ and maybe you were just getting lucky it was running with just POE, which can happen if infrared isn't used.