Quality IP Cameras

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been using Reolink cameras for a while now but from time to time they tend to go out of focuse, offline and just stop working. Are these a good quality camera or should I invest in another brand? I have been hearing alot about Hikvision, dahua, and amcrest. Can anyone please give me some input on there experience with cameras they have used in the past or insite on what they feel is a brand that is dependable?

Thank you

Paul

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^ What he said, and......

Reolink is regarded with disdain by the vast majority of the members here, myself included, and all with good reasons. Here's some information you may find helpful and useful. Also, have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of every page, and study the Cliff Notes listed there. The cameras mentioned are a generation old at this point, but even so make Reolink look like the junk it is, but the principals still apply. Read that on a real PC, not a phone or tablet. Remember, you get what you pay for and as looney2nes says "pay once, cry once".

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Avoid Reolink, Foscam, SV3C, Nest, and all the other consumer grade cameras. They all struggle mightily at night and never get anything useful on video. Here's a link to a whole thread debunking Reolink in particular.

Compiled by mat200 -

Avoid WiFi cameras, even doorbell cameras. WiFi is not designed for the constant, 24/7, load of video that a surveillance camera produces. At best, with two cameras on WiFi, they will still experience dropouts multiple times daily. Murphy's Law says that will happen at the worst possible moment.

Lens size, focal length, is another critical factor. Many people like the wide, sweeping, views of a 2.8mm lens but be aware that identification is problematic with a lens that wide. Watch this video to learn how to analyze each location for appropriate lens size and keep in mind that it may take two cameras to provide the coverage you need or desire. Another factor that effects view angles is the sensor size. Typically larger sensors will have a larger field of view in any given lens size.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your replys. I need solid dome cameras for anti tampering also, but I was wondering if there are any with audio so I can here what is going on also?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is an example from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy any system that you cannot change the shutter speed or control any other parameter. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Paulieboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
^^^ What he said, and......

Reolink is regarded with disdain by the vast majority of the members here, myself included, and all with good reasons. Here's some information you may find helpful and useful. Also, have a look in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of every page, and study the Cliff Notes listed there. The cameras mentioned are a generation old at this point, but even so make Reolink look like the junk it is, but the principals still apply. Read that on a real PC, not a phone or tablet. Remember, you get what you pay for and as looney2nes says "pay once, cry once".

The three basic rules of video surveillance cameras-

Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance. Any camera can be made to "see" color at night if the exposure time is long enough, as in half a second or longer. Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1/60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Avoid Reolink, Foscam, SV3C, Nest, and all the other consumer grade cameras. They all struggle mightily at night and never get anything useful on video. Here's a link to a whole thread debunking Reolink in particular.

Compiled by mat200 -

Avoid WiFi cameras, even doorbell cameras. WiFi is not designed for the constant, 24/7, load of video that a surveillance camera produces. At best, with two cameras on WiFi, they will still experience dropouts multiple times daily. Murphy's Law says that will happen at the worst possible moment.

Lens size, focal length, is another critical factor. Many people like the wide, sweeping, views of a 2.8mm lens but be aware that identification is problematic with a lens that wide. Watch this video to learn how to analyze each location for appropriate lens size and keep in mind that it may take two cameras to provide the coverage you need or desire. Another factor that effects view angles is the sensor size. Typically larger sensors will have a larger field of view in any given lens size.

The 5442 series of cameras by Dahua is the current "king of the hill". They are 4MP and capable of color with some ambient light at night. The 2231 series is a less expensive alternative in 2MP and does not have audio capabilities, no built in microphone, but is easier on the budget. The 3241T-ZAS has similar spcs as the 2231 and has audio. There are also cameras available from the IPCT Store right here on the forum and from Nelly's Security who has a thread in the vendors section.

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Less expensive models -
Thanks for your replys. I need solid dome cameras for anti tampering also, but I was wondering if there are any with audio so I can here what is going on also?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dome cameras do not provide any additional anti-tampering than a current quality turret or the quality bullet cameras.

Wait until you are up on a ladder trying to adjust a Dahua bullet just a hair to the left - they lock in very well and using a stick to try to move it from the ground won't do it....

But someone that is determined to tamper can find a way, so better to get the proper camera to be able to identify them as they are doing so.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In that list I gave you, all of the cameras EXCEPT the 2231 have audio, built in microphones. A turret is at least as "vandal proof" as a dome. No camera will withstand a baseball bat or bullet.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Domes suck. Well I’m exaggerating of course but give me a bullet or turret any day over a dome. You don’t have to worry about dust/specs inside the camera screwing up your view at night. It’s really pronounced with IR turned on.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - remember to check the wire-tapping laws in your area with regards to recording audio.