***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow. Since you've confirmed this it would seem my method no longer works with newer gear and firmware. I never really tried it since getting my new setup and I certainly appreciate not having to resort to that older method any longer. So disregard my suggestion in this case. If I ever have the need down the line I'll try this myself to confirm as well. I have a seriously old netbook that I haven't used in years and the only thing I used it for was this very thing. I mean the only thing was just for this. It may be that it's this old netbook with very old IE version is the difference.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s possible I’m missing something? But for the life of me I don’t know what.
Works on the 2016 4208 NVR with few if any FW updates but not on the early 2020 4116 NVR.

Both systems effectively the same configuration

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It worked for me on an older 4208-8p with old firmware and an older dahua nvr from Nelly years ago. So the common denominator seems be 'old' lol. It would seem likely the newer firmware in current NVR's is the road block. Like I said, I'm super happy the old way is no longer needed. Even then it was a work around until nvr firmware caught up to the need in poe NVR's.

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, and Andy’s last sentence above says the same thing.

Should not be any conflict when you plug back into the NVR.

Make sure the camera itself is set to dhcp before you start the above. It will get a 192 address from the router and a 10. Address from the NVR
bigredfish, Shockwave199, and Andy - Thanks for your help. I'm far from understanding the ins and outs of networks, but damn, wish there was a step by step tutorial. That said, will do the following when I get home unless directed differently:

-log into webservice of the B5442E-Z4E > Setting > Network > TCP/IP > change mode from Static to DHCP > Save. Then disconnect cam from NVR,
-Using a 12 volt 2a ac adapter to power the cam, connect cam to one of the empty ports behind my cable company's router/modem.
-Using the desktop, open the Config Tool software, click "search" to populate the cam
-Click System Setting (screwdriver/wrench icon), put tick for the cam, click License tab, click Export Device Info (which I'll save to my desktop and then email it to Andy)
- Unplug cam from router, plug cam back into the NVR

Questions:
1) Is the above correct?
2) Should I change mode from Static to DHCP while cam is connected to the NVR or when connected to the router?
3) If the steps above are a success and before I unplug cam from router, do I change mode from DHCP back to Static while connected to router or after I plug back into NVR?
4) Any information/numbers/etc I should copy before I change cam from Static to DHCP?
5) Can the ac adapter be slightly greater than 12 volt 2a?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
bigredfish, Shockwave199, and Andy - Thanks for your help. I'm far from understanding the ins and outs of networks, but damn, wish there was a step by step tutorial. That said, will do the following when I get home unless directed differently:

-log into webservice of the B5442E-Z4E > Setting > Network > TCP/IP > change mode from Static to DHCP > Save. Then disconnect cam from NVR,
-Using a 12 volt 2a ac adapter to power the cam, connect cam to one of the empty ports behind my cable company's router/modem.
-Using the desktop, open the Config Tool software, click "search" to populate the cam
-Click System Setting (screwdriver/wrench icon), put tick for the cam, click License tab, click Export Device Info (which I'll save to my desktop and then email it to Andy)
- Unplug cam from router, plug cam back into the NVR

Questions:
1) Is the above correct?
2) Should I change mode from Static to DHCP while cam is connected to the NVR or when connected to the router?
3) If the steps above are a success and before I unplug cam from router, do I change mode from DHCP back to Static while connected to router or after I plug back into NVR?
4) Any information/numbers/etc I should copy before I change cam from Static to DHCP?
5) Can the ac adapter be slightly greater than 12 volt 2a?
1 Yes I believe so
2- While still connected to NVR
3- No- leave it DHCP
4- No the NVR will assign it a 10.1.1.x IP
5- 12v for sure, not certain, not an electrcian/network guru but wouldnt give it too much

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1 Yes I believe so
2- While still connected to NVR
3- No- leave it DHCP
4- No the NVR will assign it a 10.1.1.x IP
5- 12v for sure, not certain, not an electrcian/network guru but wouldnt give it too much
Did the following:
-Connected B5442E-Z4E to NVR, logged into webservice for cam>setting>network>tcp/ip>TRIED to change from static to DHCP, but unsuccessful. (pic a)
-Not knowing what to do at that point I went forward to see maybe in static mode the procedure would still work
-Confirmed cam had power, connected cam to back of cable company's router and waited a few minutes
-Opened the Config Tool and 0 devices found (pic 10)
-Clicked on "search settings", clicked "other segment search" and it found my NVR but not the cam.(pic 13)
-Disconnected everything, connected cam back into NVR and the NVR assigned it a 10.1.1.x IP and cam is working but still with red triangle

Any suggestions? side note: I do recall earlier this yeaer disabling UPnP in my modem per the cliff notes suggestions, not sure if that is contributing to not seeing the cam.

Andy previously said connect it to the ethernet jack on my desktop as another option, but unless someone provides detail instructions what to do afterwards, I'll be lost. I've looked within this forum for any posts that deals with the Config Tool not seeing newer IP cams that are directly attached to newer POE NVR's and I can't find anything. Am I the only one with that type of setup having problems with the Config Tool finding my ip cams.

pic a.jpg pic 10.jpg

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm lost in understanding what you're doing in the first place and what the problem is. It's a jumble of different cameras and nvr's you're talking about when I look back. What is the red triangle?? Where is that showing? Have you tried a hard reset of the camera with the reset button? UPNP has nothing to do with it. The camera works in your NEW nvr but with a red triangle somewhere?? What are you trying to accomplish by seeing this camera in the config tool?

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm lost in understanding what you're doing in the first place and what the problem is. It's a jumble of different cameras and nvr's you're talking about when I look back. What is the red triangle?? Where is that showing? Have you tried a hard reset of the camera with the reset button? UPNP has nothing to do with it. The camera works in your NEW nvr but with a red triangle somewhere?? What are you trying to accomplish by seeing this camera in the config tool?
In short, I recently received a new B5442E-Z4E from Andy and I noticed a red triangle in its settings>version that reads "Algorithm authorization failed, please import license". Apparently, I need to send a file to Andy and then he will send it back to me to install on the cam to fix the red triangle issue. Per his instructions, this is done by using the Config Tool and exporting the device info from within the Config Tool he sent me. I've been following the various suggestions but none of my cams (I'm only concerned about the new Z4E) can't be seen in the Config Tool because of my current setup as explained to me. My setup consists of a NVR-5208-8P-2KSE and 7 IP cams directly plugged into the NVR that I installed earlier this year that do not have the red triangle, thankfully. So far have done the following suggestions in hopes to send Andy "the file" of the Z4E with no success:
Attempt 1 - Plugged Z4E into port 8 of NVR, opened up Config Tool, 0 devices found
Attempt 2- Plugged laptop into port 7, Z4E into port 8, opened up Config Tool, 0 devices found
Attempt 3- Plugged Z4E into port 8, powered up Z4E using a 12v ac adapter, plugged it into back of my cable company router. Waited a few minutes, opened up Config Tool and 0 devices found.

For more in depth details see posts 125 (beginning with "One more thing")-127; 129-132; 134-136; 138-140; 144-146. It might be worth noting that for all 3 attempts performed, I did not modify any IP addresses, Gateway addresses, etc of the laptop, my desktop, the cam, or the router in case I needed to. The only thing I did was try to change the Z4E from static to dhcp but the webservice did not allow me to save it.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah he needs to access the camera with the config tool to fix the red triangle problem. Many of us went through this

Im not understanding why the tool cant find it connected thon your 192 network the way you last did - and it DOES find your NVR on that network...scratching my head on that one. I just unplugged two different Dahua cameras from a 4116 PoE NVR and plugged them into a switch on my network and see them assigned 192 addresses.. We might have should told you to reboot the router with the camera plugged in..?

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah he needs to access the camera with the config tool to fix the red triangle problem. Many of us went through this

Im not understanding why the tool cant find it connected thon your 192 network the way you last did - and it DOES find your NVR on that network...scratching my head on that one. I just unplugged two different Dahua cameras from a 4116 PoE NVR and plugged them into a switch on my network and see them assigned 192 addresses.. We might have should told you to reboot the router with the camera plugged in..?
Let me try rebooting the router right now

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Only other thing I can think is to plug back into NVR, change it to static, give it a 192.168.1.193 or some such address not likely being used in your home network, gateway of your router (likely 192.168.1.1) hit save and then unplug and try the last method again.

maybe it’s not picking up info from the dhcp router?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Only other thing I can think is to plug back into NVR, change it to static, give it a 192.168.1.193 or some such address not likely being used in your home network, gateway of your router (likely 192.168.1.1) hit save and then unplug and try the last method again.

maybe it’s not picking up info from the dhcp router?
If you find it this way, then when done, before unplugging, change it back to a 10.1.1.x address and 10.1.1.1 gateway static to plug back into the NVR

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I downloaded a little app called Network Analyzer to my Iphone which can be helpful in finding devices on the network its connected to. Simple free and easy to use

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
after following post #151 it NOW SEES IT!!!!!!!!!! as you can see from pic the cam is red....what do I do next?

Last edited:

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so I clicked on screwdriver/wrench icon, click on export license, a "save as" pop up window appeared....what do I do at this point? Andy's instructions do explain at this point.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so we know that it wont pick up DHCP on its own after being initialized by the NVR... good to know.. hmmm

As far as the process for Andy, best go with his instructions. I only did that once and it was some time back using the Chinese language tool which was a real PIA.

Its asking you to save the file. Give it a name Andy probbaly referenced. License?

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy's instructions included only 2 pages in email to me. 1st page how to load the Config Tool, 2nd page see pic below and thats all.

Picture 3.jpg

Referring to pic in post 157
So in the file name I should save it as "devinfo.dat" and then click "save"?
Am I supposed to save as "license" and then click save?
Am I supposed to click any of those folders, eg. Config , DHlog, etc?