***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right
So cameras plugged into the PoE ports and assigned a 10.1.1.x address should use the 10.1.1.1 gateway

leave it. It’s right the others are wrong.
Update: Received .dat file from Andy, installed file on new IPC-B5442E-Z4E using Chinese language Config Tool, file fixed red triangle issue (Algorithm authorization failed message disappeared). :)

Sidenote: After the update, it changed the B5442E-Z4E default gateway from 10.1.1.1 back to 198.168.x.x while still connected to my router. I took a leap, changed ip back to 10.1.1.1, disconnected it from router, connected cam to NVR and did a hard reset, and now the default gateway for the B5442E-Z4E matches the rest of the cams of 192.168.x.x.

This week, will swap out existing hard drive from NVR-5208 into NVR-5216 PLUS adding a new hard drive, follow bigredfish post #1 of plugging existing cams and new cams one by one until they connect on their own, etc.

1) nothing worth keeping on existing HD so I want to format it. Should I format HD while it’s in 5208 or in new 5216 with the additional HD is connected?, 2) After initializing the new 5218 and connecting all the cams, IF the default gateway for each specific cam is again 198.168.x.x, would you suggest I change them to 10.1.1.1 since you mentioned its the right way?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: Received .dat file from Andy, installed file on new IPC-B5442E-Z4E using Chinese language Config Tool, file fixed red triangle issue (Algorithm authorization failed message disappeared). :headbang:
Sidenote: After the update, it changed the B5442E-ZE default gateway from 10.1.1.1 back to 198.168.x.x while still connected to my router. I took a leap, changed ip back to 10.1.1.1, disconnected from router, connected cam to NVR and did a hard reset, and now the default gateway for the B5442E-Z4E matches the rest of the cams of 192.168.x.x.

This week, will swap out existing hard drive from NVR-5208 into NVR-5216 PLUS adding a new hard drive, follow bigredfish post #1 of plugging existing cams and new cams one by one until they connect on their own, etc.

1) nothing worth keeping on existing HD so I want to format it. Should I format while in 5208 or in new 5216 with the additional HD is connected?, 2) if after initializing the new 5218 the default gateway for each specific cam is again 198.168.x.x, would you suggest I change them to 10.1.1.1 since you mentioned its the right way?

I'd let the new NVR format the HD, as far as the gateway, Im still stumped as to why PoE cams want to use it instead of the 10.1.1.x but hey if it works dont fix it!

LBX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd let the new NVR format the HD, as far as the gateway, Im still stumped as to why PoE cams want to use it instead of the 10.1.1.x but hey if it works dont fix it!
Update: since upgrading my NVR from a 8 channel to 16 channel and adding a few more cams, everything is working. Just a few related questions that I can't find answers to when I did a search within ipcamtalk.

1) I installed my used WD 8TB into slot 1 of my new NVR and also added a new WD 8TB into slot 2. While in the new NVR, I reformatted the used 8TB since there was nothing of importance. It's been about 14 days of recording and I just noticed that even though slot 1 HD still has some capacity, that slot 2 HD it appears to have used up some of its space. (see pic). I assumed once slot 1 was at full capacity then it would switch to slot 2. Any thoughts?
The only thing that I had to do a couple of times during the 14 days was to disconnect a couple of cameras to rewire. Also, when I did that initial "format" of slot 1 I did not "Clear HDD database", should I have?

HDD.jpg

2)Now that I'm using IE instead of Chrome for camera settings, etc.....I noticed the following window pops up anytime I access the NVR GUI, specifically the "live view". I click "Don't Allow" but it doesn't show a live picture within the NVR GUI....it shows a "Please click here to download and install a plugin". Should I run and save it? (see pics)

IE 1.jpg

3)Tonight for approx 5 hours our electric company is shutting power off for maintenance. I don't want to take the chance that the cameras "freak out" when power is shut down and then "freak out" again when power is restored (i.e. lose settings, etc) Should I shutdown my NVR before this time period or do something else?

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
1- Im not a hardware expert but Ive seen drives do similar and even out once they both got full. Id give a few days.

2- Yes thats asking to download the plugin, save, and run it. Some cameras require it other dont. Even in the same series. Its frustrating. You might try the Pale Moon 32bit browser also., again some cams play nice with it others dont,

3- I never do when power goes out unexpectedly, but with the possibility of spikes, it woiuld be a good idea if you know ahead of time, cant hurt.

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great thread bigredfish very helpful and have learned a lot. A lot more 2 learn
I have 7 of the IPC-HDW5442T-ZE cameras hooked up to a NVR5216-16P-I and all has been working great, followed your 1st post. The more reading I do here I get the bug to buy more cameras. I decided to buy a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E for LPR duty.
I did the same as before 1st connect camera to nvr before power on nvr. Wait.. IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E never shows up in the camera list. Tried different cable tested cable-good. Reset camera Wait nothing. Reboot NVR nothing.
What am I missing?
Thanks

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Try clicking on the Search by IP in the top pane of the registration page. See if it shows up with a 192.168.1.108 address... assuming your NVR address is on the 192.168.1.x network and is something other than .108....

It’s possible the camera is set to static in the 192 range and the NVR can’t register it to a 10.1.1.x address...

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for the help. Yes my NVR address is 192.168.1.254. I tried searching at top pane of the registration page 192.168.1.108 Nothing showed up.
I then tried manual add and this is what i get. It's camera 8. It's not working

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok so it finds the camera (#8)

When you manually add it from top to bottom pane you get the port 37777

So delete it from bottom, reboot the NVR with the camera still plugged in and wait.... I’ve found some cameras, especially the 5200 series for some reason, can take a long time to self register. Like hours.

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It never showed up in the top portion of the page.

I added it manually please see picture attached.

Last night It was plugged in all night and it never showed up in the camera list.

I did what you said and I deleted camera 8 and left camera plugged in and reboot nvr.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
hmmmm ... so you manually "added' a camera at 10.1.1.72 using a logical assumption that that would be the next IP assigned for camera #8... But it got a red indicator and no device name...Thats because it didnt really add anything. I just did the same to a non-existent camera on two NVR's.

The NVR has to find the camera. Its not doing so,.... So I have to think the IP of the camera may have been altered and your NVR is not able to see it.

If you have a separate switch you can plug the camera into on your network...try below

Do you have an iphone?

If so, download a simple app called network analyzer.
Assuming your phone i connected to your wifi network at home, scan using the app and see what addresses/devices it finds... if there is an unknown 192.168.1.x address found, try navigating to that address via a web browser on a PC
(Did you already try navigating to 192.168.1.108 the default address of Dahua cameras?)

Last edited:

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
(Did you already try navigating to 192.168.1.108 the default address of Dahua cameras?) yes and site can't be reached.

I have an asus router and it has a network map and nothing is assigned to 192.168.1.108. I looked at the asus map and i don't see anything on the 192.168.1.x map that i don't know what it is. I can see the NVR 192.168.1.254 the camera is not showing up.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, while plugged into the PoE port on the NVR with a short cable, open the camera access door (bottom two screws) and press the reset button and hold for 30 seconds. Then see if it will register...

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera plugged into the nvr pressed the reset button for 30 seconds I could hear a few clicks from the camera.
Camera does not show up. Did a Search by IP in the top pane of the registration page and nothing shows up. Looked at asus network map and nothing is assigned to 192.168.1.108
I can verify everything on the asus network map and the camera is not listed.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah you wont see it on your ASUS when its plugged into the NVR...

The reset should have defaulted the camera, and the NVR should see it, though it may take a while.

Its plugged into port 8 on the NVR..right?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried another camera on port 8? Or try the 5241 on another port?

I’m scratching my head, but have seen bad ports on an NVR recently...

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can i plug camera 7 into port 8? Do i need to turn off nvr before switching. I usually turn off nvr before adding cameras, i'm not sure i need to do that?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have swapped cameras between ports a number of times without any problem while NVR was on. The NVR will assign it the IP associated with that port.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just make sure your not making camera image or motion event changes on the NVR. Always make image,event changes on the camera

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just make sure your not making camera image or motion event changes on the NVR. Always make image,event changes on the camera. I understand.

Moving camera 7 to port 8 now