localhorst

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Community,
I purchased second-hand following Axis cameras:
  • P5414-E
  • P5624-E
  • P5532
Unfortunately none of the above is working when powered with PoE.
As a PoE+ Switch I tested with:
  • TP-Link TL-SG1005P
  • Netgear GS308PP
I was never able to obtain an Ethernet link. So I suspect the problem in powering the cameras.
The P5414-E has a second power source as a DC-input. For testing purposes I wired it up to an bench power supply and everything worked fine.

Question: Is there something that I miss when powering an AXIS PTZ camera? Any suggestions for a PoE switch?
Thanks in advantage.
Hendrik

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try just one camera at a time? PTZs can pull more power and the TP power budget is only 65W, so 3 PTZs could exceed the total capacity of the switch.

Or it is the POE of the camera is out and thus why they were for sale. We will see that happen from time to time where the POE fails on a camera.

localhorst

n3wb
Reaction score
I tested every camera separately. So I think the PoE budget should not be the limiting factor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case it sounds like powering by POE has failed in the units.

localhorst

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, that is what I fought already. Is there a special bug/issue know to this sort of AXIS camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, that is what I fought already. Is there a special bug/issue know to this sort of AXIS camera?
First the TP-Link switch is not a POE+ switch...
Second have you tested using the Netgear with a short cable that is pre-made?

localhorst

n3wb
Reaction score
The TP-Link switch is PoE+ depending on the seller you buy it :facepalm:. So now real quality here.
I testet witch a 0.5m pre-made CAT6/7 cable with ground shielding. Other cameras like the Eneo PXB-2080MIR (normal PoE) are working fine on both switches.

I really appreciate the ideas, but I get more and more the feeling I bought damaged units.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The TP-Link switch is PoE+ depending on the seller you buy it :facepalm:. So now real quality here.
I testet witch a 0.5m pre-made CAT6/7 cable with ground shielding. Other cameras like the Eneo PXB-2080MIR (normal PoE) are working fine on both switches.

I really appreciate the ideas, but I get more and more the feeling I bought damaged units.
lol, the switch doesnt care about the seller. The manufacturer says its POE not poe+.

If it does not work with the netgear then 99% chance you made a bad cable. The fact that other cameras work is irrelevant. Again test with a short store bought premade cable.

localhorst

n3wb
Reaction score
I attached an image showing the current setup for the P5532. This is the shortest pre-made cable I was able to find. The orange LED means a physical connection is active due to static on. But the link speed LED (green) is never switched on or LEDs are indicating traffic due to flashing.
IMG_20230617_202243.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I attached an image showing the current setup for the P5532. This is the shortest pre-made cable I was able to find. The orange LED means a physical connection is active due to static on. But the link speed LED (green) is never switched on or LEDs are indicating traffic due to flashing.
View attachment 165663
The cameras are likely defective... I hope you didn't pay much more than a few dollars each as they are outdated...

Reaction score
Hello Community,
I purchased second-hand following Axis cameras:
  • P5414-E
  • P5624-E
  • P5532
Unfortunately none of the above is working when powered with PoE.
As a PoE+ Switch I tested with:
  • TP-Link TL-SG1005P
  • Netgear GS308PP
I was never able to obtain an Ethernet link. So I suspect the problem in powering the cameras.
The P5414-E has a second power source as a DC-input. For testing purposes I wired it up to an bench power supply and everything worked fine.

Question: Is there something that I miss when powering an AXIS PTZ camera? Any suggestions for a PoE switch?
Thanks in advantage.
Hendrik
99% of our Axis PTZ failures are due to a defective POE power supply circuit in the camera. Since there aren't any service manuals or schematics available for Axis PTZ cameras, it's hard to determine where the failure is. But I'm betting that it is a very common failure between all PTZ models. I've gone a lot of googling and haven't found hardly any assistance.

I have several P5414 cameras and as you have discovered, if they won't power over POE, their unique feature of a 24 volt DC power input connector will return them to operational status. When I can find time, those cameras should provide insight of where the 24VDC is injected on a POE power supply board.