Onboard Flash vs NVR?

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All,
I am new to this and need some guidance:
I am trying to set up a surveillance system for an aging friend who is getting ripped off by her caretakers (I think). I have a broadband wireless router in the house and am thinking I can put a wireless Dahua dome camera (something like IPC-HDPW4220F-W | Dahua Technology - with up to 128GB SD Flash memory) outside her front door which would be about 20 feet away and the unit would then be about 30 feet from the inside router, the signal tested ok there for computer streaming video. I have 110ac power available there for the transformer/camera but here are the questions....

It gets cold outside there. Sometimes there will be a few nights in the -40F range. The cameras only say they are rated to -30C. Is that going to be a problem? If I put them over a lit incandescent light to keep it warm will that mess up the IR motion detection?

Also, do I need an NVR on this unit or can I just use the flash card in it and access it remotely via the web and the Dahua app to check and erase the video? I do not live close enough to manually check.

Will this work well or am I being too simplistic? All suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks in advance!
HJ

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
-40 from time to time wont hurt it (F/C units are unnecessary at that point)

If you buy a decent flash card you can; dont cheap out on it though..

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow.
I just spent 45 mins looking for where to get the Dahua IPC-HDPW4220F-W | Dahua Technology and can find only one, Aliexpress - but takes 2 weeks minimum.

Where do people here source Dahua cameras if they are not available on Amazon?s.

Thanks
HJ

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just import mine off AliExpress; dont get prime delivery but it does arrive eventually.. so plan accordingly.

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, done. They say 12-20 days and it is from Professional Electronics Tech Superstore Shenzen...

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
AVOID ALIexpress!!!!
Never got mine but was billed. Ali customer service is crap - cannot even find the order after 3 people, escallation etc - painful. They wanted my credit card to order another one from the same vendor to solve the issue..... I don't think so....

Any other suggestions from a US or Taiwan/Japan vendor that actually delivers? I am flexible on camera - just need 2mp +, motion detection, Wifi, SD card, 2.8mm fixed (but can adjust where it points), IR for decent night vision... I have to have it by February 1.... My local Dahua dealer only sells to trained technicians...

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive ordered tons of cameras off AliExpress w/out as much as a single issue; the worst Ive had was a seller whom sold me a F1.4 lens and delivered a F1.6 lens, he gave me most of the money back because I had paid extra for the F1.4 and left him a nasty review.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a couple of non-delivery orders which breached the delivery promise, and had refunds within a couple of days of submitting a case.
Overall a buyer-centric experience.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
contact @EMPIRETECANDY , He runs a Dahua AliExpress store and has proven to be quite trustworthy, communicative and offers very fast shipping for free, not to mention he's been providing much deeper customer service and technical support than anyone else from AliExpress who's ventured onto these forums.. Most Ali Vendors provide pretty much zero post-sales support/service.

Here's a link to his entire store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling power supply for camera,poe power,poe power supply and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

hjo

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, well that explains one thing anyway....Amex gave me the sellers contact info which I assumed was Alibaba and so when I called and got a de-listed personal voicemail I thought "how unprofessional that a multi-billion dollar business cannot even have a real customer support number". Unfortunately, my sub-seller was Professional Electronic Technology Store and they cannot be contacted. That must have been the number sent to Amex.

I was just going to go to Newegg.com and buy from the IPC store and get a 3MP IR WiFi Fixed MiniDome DH-IPC-HDBW13A0EN-W - but it looks like it does not have the slot for a SIM card and I will not have an NVR so that won't work.

My problem, apparently, is that their system failed to give me an order number and they cannot find it to refund or rectify. I have the screen shot of the order page - but it does not have the order number. They never sent an email either (and the screen shot shows I typed the address correctly) after the purchase so something went wrong in their system - but not the billing part...

Well, things change. I had faith in Alibaba - I am a shareholder (for now anyway) and would love to see you all buying from them - but just file this away mentally, and if you start seeing more problems, consider switching to another vendor.

I will try Empirecandy and see what he says.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aliexpress is just a market place much like Ebay, typically you pay them via AliPay and they hold onto the money and wont give it to the seller until the items have been delivered.. they hold it in escrow, if you dont get it the vendor never gets paid and AliExpress is supposed to refund the money back to your card.. they dont sell anything, just broker exchanges between manufacturers and importers.

If you paid w/CC then do a chargeback..