NVR with automatic PTZ control

perla

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently planning to purchase a NVR for my 7 Hikvision IP cameras and I'm curious if there are any NVRs available with the following features?
  1. It has an advanced (with reliable filtering) human/vehicle tracking feature and it can control the PTZ cameras (through simple ONVIF commands) to track the detected target
  2. If it detects a target on one of the fixed cameras it can command the PTZ cameras to move to that location
  3. It can command the PTZ cameras to switch to a specific present based on the alarm events of the fixed cameras
Thanks for any help and recommendations in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tracking is done from within the camera itself, not the NVR. So you need an autotracking camera.

Dahua has the ability, so I would assume Hikvision does as well, to use a fixed cam as a spotter cam to command the PTZ to a certain preset or an alarm event.

perla

n3wb
Reaction score
But, a spotter cam can only command the PTZ cam through the NVR, right? So, it must be a feature of the NVR and not the cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct, it has to be thru a VMS like an NVR or Blue Iris as an example.

perla

n3wb
Reaction score
And what about a more advanced human/vehicle detection? Can a NVR add this detection feature to simpler IP cameras?
Or even with an NVR I will be limited to the built-in alarm types of the IP camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best bet is to get a camera with that functionality.

Improvements are being made all the time with newer models. Some NVRs may be able to perform that detection, but you would have to read the specs very carefully. Some of the NVRs that have that AI capability then have to cut back on something else to make that happen - either lower FPS or lower resolution, etc.

Or go with Blue Iris and a PC that has that functionality and doesn't limit you to one brand of camera.

Contadino

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm interested in this also. Are these NVRs limited to using Dahua cameras be only? Other than using other brands of cameras whatb functionality would be missing over what BlueIris has?
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best to match camera brand with NVR to ensure full functionality.

Do a search here for all the reasons why folks here prefer BI over NVR...

There is a big debate here on which is better. Personally I found the NVRs to be too clunky and not very user friendly and got to the point that I was reactive instead of proactive. I literally tested BI and knew within a few minutes it was better than any NVR I ever had.

Like literally I would go months on end not even looking at the NVR videos because the interface was too clunky and would take forever to pull up any motion from the night before. And ended up turning off the alerts because there were so many false triggers. I would only look at it if I could tell someone messed with something on my property or a neighbor asked me if my cameras caught anything.

With BI, in addition to being able to configure it such that I get notifications whenever someone gets too close to my house, I can literally in less than 30 seconds every morning do a quick review to see if there was any suspicious activity or people walking down the sidewalk at 2am. I could never do it that fast with an NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can and do review each morning in 30-60 seconds using NVRs. I use SmartPSS as a live viewer/playback/ download tool. Works great for that.

I don’t find I get any more false alerts than a BI system. The main determining thing for false alerts is how the triggers are setup on the camera.

If you are going to mix n match different camera brands, then I’d recommend BI.

Contadino

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I got a Dahua or Hikvision NVR and later decided I wanted to go to Blue Iris, would I be able to use the NVR as a POE switch? Or would I need to get rid of the NVR and get a new switch?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I got a Dahua or Hikvision NVR and later decided I wanted to go to Blue Iris, would I be able to use the NVR as a POE switch? Or would I need to get rid of the NVR and get a new switch?
Yes, you can bring the video feed from the NVR right into BI. Many of us are doing that.

wbliu

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a link to instructions to do that? Especially, can I control PTZ through NVR from BI?

Thanks

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As part of my system I use a 8 ch (all POE enabled) Hikvision NVR with a single cable to a separate non-managed network switch, so the NVR doesn't provide POE to any camera, either my network switches do or my 3 cameras that have their separate power supplies.

My rationale is that if things go up in a puff of smoke I want it to be a cheaper piece of kit and not one involving a lot of re-configuring. Failures are more likely to happen when things run hot, so relieving the NVR from doing POE duties should be an advantage.

wbliu

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you're right - the only way for BI to be able to control PTZ is to use a separate POE switch.