Need help to install my camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that is your IP address range, you can put the camera on anything 192.168.10.xxx, just do not have the xxx be the IP address of the router.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera is working again on my PC. I set it to static - I put in my IPv4 address, subnet mask, default gateaway. The two others options - Preffered DNS, and Alternate DNS is automatic. I didn't type anything. Is that okay?

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this how to configure OpenVpn? https://youtu.be/iIRKcFUgbak It seems so easy. So the website is connected to the OpenVpn feature in the router? All for free up to three conections?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your router supports OpenVPN then it is done within the firmware of the router. You might be mistaken the three connections with simultaneous (at the same time) connections that perhaps the router mandates.

Unless you are going for the business version or some other obscure reason, OpenVPN on the router is free open-source.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

After a couple of days I will buy the new router with OpenVpn support. So when I install it do I need to reset the camera again or when I enter my internet settings given from my ISP i will be able to access the camera?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You don't need to change any settings on your camera. Just make sure P2P is turned off and all port forwarding is gone.

You don't need to do anything on the wan/isp side as long as you are not using the isp router any longer.

You will need to set up the openvpn server on the router, then download and setup openvpn for each client that needs to connect to your camera network.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay I will turn off P2P but if I do that am I going to be able to view the camera through my phone on gDMSS? Because it uses p2p connection as far as I know. About port forwarding - It's going to be completely new router so all ports will be closed by default.

Yes I'm not using their router. I bought long time ago a new router and all they do was to put their settings.

I'm watching tutorials on how to setup OpenVpn. I get it but something I don't understand is why some of them do port forwarding?

Later today I will ask you another two or three questions and this thread will be solved.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
gDMSS will work with P2P off. You can turn if off now and would still see the cams when on your home network, just not away.

Quit watching tutorials....if they are talking about port forwarding for OpenVPN then clearly they are doing something wrong....just because someone posted a video to YouTube doesn't make them an expert...look at all the folks coming here after getting screwed over by watching the hookup YouTube tutorials:lmao:

Just follow what I put in post #94 and you will be fine.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The main thing to remember is that a VPN will put outside computers on your camera network, just like they are in the same room. No need for open ports, p2p, or any other unreliable stuff any more.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm currently on my other PC with different router with OpenVpn. I will need a little explanation with the settings and when I get the new router I will know how to make it work.

I must click on "Enable VPN server", which option to select next - UDP or TCP? The others settings are filled - Service Port, Vpn Subnet/netmask. Should I change something?
Client access I guess I should click on "Internet and Home network? Then save, generate, export and download openvpn.

i don't get the part about DDNS.

Attachments

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you guys sure this camera doesn't have microphone / audio inside? If not from where should I buy a microphone and where exactly it's it place? Also the Talk function also doesn't work? When I click on it All I hear is some crackling sounds but when I talk I don't hear it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The PTZ does not have internal mic and speaker...all you would hear is the fan.

You would need to purchase a microphone to hear and if you want to talk then a speaker. Will need to provide power to them as well.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to ask a question maybe it's a stupid question but here it is - Can I buy a DVR for this camera and does it need to be on the same place close to the camera? As I said the camera is at place B and where I am its place A. Can I put the DVR where I live in place A far away from the camera? Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would be an NVR for an IP camera and DVR for an analog camera.

The beauty of the NVR is it can be placed anywhere along the same network as to where the camera is connected to.

To do what you want in two physical locations, you would need to OpenVPN between the two or port forward (not advised).

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would be an NVR for an IP camera and DVR for an analog camera.

The beauty of the NVR is it can be placed anywhere along the same network as to where the camera is connected to.

To do what you want in two physical locations, you would need to OpenVPN between the two or port forward (not advised).
I get it, thanks. Do you know from where to buy a mic for this camera and where to place the mic?

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any ideas why I can't view the camera on the gDMSS app? I'm able to open the camera IP through the browser on my PC. Any ideas why the camera is not showing in the app? I didn't change anything I don't know if that's important but I didn't turned off my PC for like 2-3 days.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any idea why the time keeps changing after a couple of days? I saw when I turn off the camera the time change but is there a way to know when the camera is turned off? Maybe the power supply turns off and that's the reason the time keeps changing?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have the time syncing to the computer or NVR or a NTP or are you manually keying in the time?