My hikvision camera works fine on 500 feet of cat 5?

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A reset resolving the issue points to the camera... 100 feet is nowhere near the limit... What switch were you using?

Sent via Taptalk
I assumed perhaps the length of the cable (or the quality of the cable) screwed with the camera. Not using a PoE switch, just a TP-Link injector. Just wonder what made the camera break then.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The cable can't screw with the camera..... Did you test the camera before hooking it up to the cable? If not it may have needed the reset anyway..

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cable can't screw with the camera..... Did you test the camera before hooking it up to the cable? If not it may have needed the reset anyway..
Had the camera running inside, worked great. Then mounted it outside just for testing purposes. Worked great for roughly 12 hours. Then dropped, and could not bring it back to life. The IR lights would come on, I'd see it in SDAP for a few seconds, then it would drop off again. After a minute, the IR lights would come on again, I'd see it in SDAP, then it would drop off again. Kept going and going until I did a reset. It's mounted back inside, and has been running fine since.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Strange... This is one of those situations that you need to trouble shoot one step at a time... I can assure you that cable length itself is not the issue....
Note that for long distance you should use solid copper cable not stranded cable which is likely what the premade cable was made of..

Sent via Taptalk

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange... This is one of those situations that you need to trouble shoot one step at a time... I can assure you that cable length itself is not the issue....
Note that for long distance you should use solid copper cable not stranded cable which is likely what the premade cable was made of..

Sent via Taptalk
Good feedback. At which lengths do I need to start thinking copper vs. stranded?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good feedback. At which lengths do I need to start thinking copper vs. stranded?
They both should be copper (never user copper clad aluminium or CCA, a low price is generally a giveaway)..I generally use solid cable on camera runs however there shouldnt be a problem with 75 or even 100f of stranded...I think it would only matter at the fringes of the 100m limit...also using couplers to connect two cables generates signal attenuation among other issues and should not be used.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree the cable is an unlikely contributor to this type of problem - despite that it's supplying the power.
If you haven't already done so, it would be worth eliminating the power source as a possible cause, by temporarily using the separate power connector to supply 12V DC with a 1A or more rating.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just as an update, the camera has been running nonstop and not missed a beat. I have it recording on motion which seeing as it is looking at a tree is a lot of motion and it looks great, playback is fine and I have not missed a single ping. I'm impressed and I'll keep testing. My 460 foot run between switches is going on a month in the field installed and zero issues.

I'm using this cable if anyone is interested in knowing what it is specifically.

http://www.amazon.com/Shireen-DC-1021-Outdoor-CAT5e-FTP/dp/B009WA56NK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433249550&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=shireen+cat5

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I connected a desktop to the cable and it connected and is working fine surfing the internet and doing speed tests and the like. It connected at 1gb! - what would someone recommend I use to test the connection more fully on windows boxes? It seems very few people try to push the limits when searching online and I'd like to get as much detail as I can while I am testing this. I first connected it to my switch which is only 10/100 but then I remembered my router itself directly on top of my switch is 1gb, plugged it in and it auto negotiated 1gb instantly. 1gb connection over 487 feet of cable?!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an update - the camera has had zero issues on the 487 foot cable. I also then connected a desktop and it also ran fine, and at a full 1gb. I transferred 12.7 back and forth 10-12 times between computers on my test bench with no problems at all. I also ran on that cable for 4 days doing all my normal bench tasks. I checked my 460 foot cat 5 cable in the field that is linking two switches, they are linked at 1gb also and the switches have recorded zero packet errors of any type. I know the logging is working as one of my cameras on a 60 foot run shows two errors (maybe when I rebooted the camera as I know I have), but the super long run is running like a champ.

This gives me more confidence to try longer than 300 foot runs for sure, I will not make a habit out of it but there are times when if I could do one or two 400 foot runs I could eliminate the need for analog. I'd rather try 400 feet runs with 3-4mp cameras on them than settle for analog cameras, requiring an encoder and then only get crappy analog pictures. It will be interesting to test and see how well this works out, after a lot of reading many think up to 500 would be fine but it depends on the environment, cable and other things. All things being equal 100m is the standard that it will work regardless, longer is a maybe. I've proven my cable does fine so I'll move forward with testing this for my in house installs when it is required.

This has been fun to test, seems almost no one has done extensive testing, people say it will not work but no one can agree why. Then it works and they are even more confused lol. People mention collisions as to reasons it will not work, but that is only on old hubs and not switches. No one should still be using hubs anyway! Some say voltage drop, but we know that works much farther than 330 feet. I've seen a few say that propagation on the line will be an issue but when they look at the numbers that should not even begin being an concern until slightly over 500 feet. Feels like when this standard was made 20 years ago they gave them selves plenty of error margin, and equipment has only gotten better and more tolerant in the last 20 years.