My hikvision camera works fine on 500 feet of cat 5?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I have been testing something today and I'm amazed it is working just fine. I'm as surprised as anyone but I have a Hik bullet hooked up to a 500 foot spool of Shireen cat5 cable and I'm using a no name brand of POE switch to power the camera and it is working just fine. I set the bitrate to fixed at 12228. Works fine. Running it in night mode IR on with no issues and I'm runnig a constant ping to watch for loss. Not a single ping lose yet, no variation in ping times, nothing. Working like a champ.

I guess it is not a full 500foot spool, 487 feet to be exact and it was a 1000 foot spool to start with. Cable is still on the spool even, which I thought would cause issues too. I'm going to leave this running as a test, but if I can stretch my cable runs to even 400 feet it will really help me out in a lot of situations.

What caused me to test this was a project several weeks back where I had a roughly 500 foot connection needed between switches. I went with fiber obviously and the day they got there to run it found out that 100 foot of the conduit was ran too small and the fiber with the ends would not fit. There was no way to redo the conduit that week so they wanted to try cat5 from switch to switch, they thought on the ground it was only about 350 feet. I said go for it, but I was estimating with google earth it was 480' feet. When they got done they called and said it was 460+ feet, but the switches connected fine. I have a powerstone on the far switch for auto reboots in the case of lost connectivity but so far over several weeks it has worked flawlessly with no reboots. I thought maybe that was because it was switch to switch and decided to try a camera.

I'm very surprised it works, but I'm glad and wish I'd tried this earlier. Going to leave this going as I said and we will see if it stays working longer term.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your switch is a 1000/100/10, it will work as long a the poe side is 48v but you will get some lag on data rates.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Switch is one of these which I use as my workbench switch:

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/power-supplies/poe-injectors-and-switches/16-ports-poe.html

And my other switches that are working together at 460 feet are Buffalo switches. Not exactly high end gear but I'm not going super cheap either. So far I see no lag, I have another cameras hooked up with a 14 foot cable on the same switch and they both show events at exactly the same instant, my one camera on the long run is set to 12228 too remember! 12228 is the max the camera itself will do. I put it back to the normal 4096 when I left today so it can run all weekend on standard settings but it is filming trees blowing in the wind too so it was using all 4096 when I left. Also my cable is still on the roll, so 500 feet of spooled up cable which I'd think would be an interference nightmare but I'm have no issues at all.

I can't believe how well it works, but I'm very happy so far and wishing I'd tried this earlier!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are they connecting at 100Mbit Full Duplex? You do any network throughput testing?

Given a single IP camera will run fine @ 10Mbit its not surprising that you can get away with much longer than acceptable lengths.. the 328' maximum guaranteed to work at full throughput (GigE) without interference.. but that dont nessicarly imply everything will stop working at 330ft, just now your at the mercy of your environment and equipment.

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you guys mean by data lag?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There will be no perceptible effect of 'data lag' due to distance on a long Cat5 cable, or even a longer fibre run. The electrical signals travel just a bit under the speed of light, so 100m is worth a third of a microsecond. The CPU software processing time for each LAN packet is a lot more than that.
Ethernet is designed to be resilient, so will accommodate poor erroring communications down at the link level, not visible at the application level.
What may be worth checking periodically as a simple indicator for errors are the Linux stats over time on the interface.
At an SSH or telnet command line:
login as: root
root@192.168.1.64's password:

BusyBox v1.19.3 (2014-07-11 11:25:54 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr C0:57:E3:7C:7A:97
inet addr:192.168.1.64 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::c257:e3ff:fe7c:7a97/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:55522314 errors:0 dropped:50 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:55517796 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:3338413826 (3.1 GiB) TX bytes:3744893974 (3.4 GiB)
Interrupt:27
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:480 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:480 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:42264 (41.2 KiB) TX bytes:42264 (41.2 KiB)
#

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you only need 12V DC at the end you are ok.
Don - on the PoE calculations - if there was only 12V remaining at the PD (camera) end of the cable, the camera PoE convertor is unlikely to power the camera correctly.
The PoE standard requires a minimum of 37V at the end-point, ideally 44V for correct operation. Which you will get on 437 feet of 24AWG cable if you use 0.25A for the current, not 1A. This gives an end-point voltage of 42V, giving a power available of just over 10W for the camera. Which is OK for the PoE convertor.
The PoE convertor in the camera may or may not feed the same 12V convertor the camera uses on it's separate 12V feed, it may supply the lower voltages that the electronics needs directly, bypassing the 12V convertor. That's an internal design decision. And it's fair to say it will probably work beyond the required limits and be OK at a lower voltage. But not guaranteed.

This is just in case someone measures the end-point voltage on a test length of cable, and gets an optimistic idea of what would work reliably.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's important to remember the 12V DC is +- 10 percent according to the specifications
Yes indeed, but that's for the separate 12V feed to the camera, not to be confused with the PoE alternative.

Your statement of "The PoE standard requires a minimum of 37V at the end-pointi deally 44V for correct operation" is not a correct one.
OK, yes, I should have stated '44V minimum', not '37V minimum, ideally 44V'
And you have to admit that 44V is rather more than the "Since you only need 12V DC at the end you are ok." that you stated.

Anyway - enough said.

*edit* Curious how your posts seem to morph their contents after you have submitted them. Or is it just my memory? I think not.
That's pretty poor behaviour on a forum - I hope you are ashamed of yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean about morphing. My original post which you referenced, has not been modified since your referenced it.

I had no idea that anyone, including you would think I was suggesting that one could not take the 12V DC at the end device and feed that 12V DC into the IP Cameras DC power jack. I had assumed most others, including you would have realized that. So, I did modify my response to your post. Which I have every right to do.

Don
He means that you keep editing your posts to fix your mistakes and add NEW content...alastair was correct, you made an error...
Here is the bottom line, if it works without error then it an acceptable solution notwithstanding your suggestion...specs are often conservative..if someone is pushing the limit successfully it can be helpful to others who want to give it a shot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As of now The post I'm being accused of editing ("Which would still be my right to do if I did. But I did not"):

Last edited 15 hours ago at 5:48 PM.

alastairstevenson initial post about the post above was 2 hours ago

I stand by my statements fenderman.

Don
And I stand by mine...he was referring to your second post and you know it...classic uber...
Alastair is spot on...his calculations are correct..
Your opinions on POE should be dismissed..I dont think you understand how it works...particularly since I have seen you recommend POE specs for non poe cameras...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I already explained in great detail on why I need to edit my posts sometimes fenderman. Where you called me a liar when I did so.

Ban me if you need to fenderman, because I need to edit my posts from time to time due to my disability. Which I have taken the time to explain here once only to be called a liar!
I dont know why you suggest I ban you..you know very well we never do that in this forum, unlike the other forums that ban members who disagree.
Stop lying about editing posts due to your disability THAT IS A COMPLETE fabrication. You should be ashamed of yourself trying to use that as an excuse - there are folks with real disabilities that you are directly hurting by crying wolf...you have the energy to type long manifestos..you can simply add the content to a new post - same effort.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not a lie or fabrication fenderman nor am I ashamed about it.

I have nothing more to say about this. I'm not going to take this thread off topic. You can do that by yourself, without my help.

Don
Great, I lets see if you can control yourself...I have NEVER seen you do so, even after you state you will not comment further..so I have my fingers crossed.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! I go out to do some weeding in the garden in the nice Scottish sun and the posts prior to my last one are unrecognisable.
Look, Don, you are a useful and valuable contributor to this forum but these incessant off-topic diatribes get very tiresome and really ruin the purpose of the threads which is to share and learn information, solve problems and inform and help all of us in the community.
None of us are perfect - we all get mixed up and make mistakes sometimes, and I'd suggest the best type of response when it happens would be to man up with something like 'Ooops - I boobed - that was a load of tosh, please ignore it. I got mixed up between the PoE method of supplying power and the direct 12V feed'. Which you did. Then topic closed. No need to attempt deception by editing history.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's odd, as I was having issues at 100 feet after run. Worked for half a day, then the camera went into an endless loop until I reset it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's odd, as I was having issues at 100 feet after run. Worked for half a day, then the camera went into an endless loop until I reset it.
That is not related to the length... Could be the cable, or a bad crimp... Also you must follow the proper crimp standards ... Simply matching the wire color order is insufficient...

Sent via Taptalk

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is not related to the length... Could be the cable, or a bad crimp... Also you must follow the proper crimp standards ... Simply matching the wire color order is insufficient...

Sent via Taptalk
This was a premade cat5e cable I had bought from Best Buy...

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could still be the cable.. Did the camera work with a shorter cable?

Sent via Taptalk
Camera was still stuck after using shorter cable in an endless loop of rebooting cycles. Only a hard reset using the button on the back of the camera fixed it. Running it with different, shorter cat5e now and running fine so far.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A reset resolving the issue points to the camera... 100 feet is nowhere near the limit... What switch were you using?

Sent via Taptalk