Motion Detection & Line Crossing - Disable Motion Detection?

JamesH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Glad I found this forum. Lots of useful information. I bought some Hikvision IP cameras and a Hikvision NVR. Everything is hooked up and working. I've been piddling with the intrusion and line crossing settings but they don't seem to work even though they are enabled on the NVR. I turned off motion detection since I was getting so many false alarms (rain, bugs) but nothing recorded, even though I was under the vague impression that MD didn't have to be enabled for intrusion detection to work. To me, if the VCA settings are enabled and can be set without MD enabled then it should work. Am I wrong about this?

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To me, if the VCA settings are enabled and can be set without MD enabled then it should work. Am I wrong about this?
That's correct.
For each camera channel, have you enable the storage mode as "Event" ?

JamesH

n3wb
Reaction score
That's correct.
That may be the problem. I'm not able to get to my NVR right now, but I'm pretty sure I have the storage mode set as "Motion", so that may be the issue. I'll check it later today.

JamesH

n3wb
Reaction score
That's correct.
Well I set the recordings to Event but intrusion detection and line crossing, though enabled, apparently will not work without motion detection turned on even if the sensitivity is all the way up and percentage is at 1. This is counterintuitive if you only want intrusion and line crossing detection and monitoring. I know I can set up motion detection squares but that kind of defeats what I want to do.

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I set the recordings to Event but intrusion detection and line crossing, though enabled, apparently will not work without motion detection turned on
I use intrusion detection and line crossing only with :-
5 x DS-2CD2342WD-I
3 x DS-2CD2335FWD-I
They all work with motion disabled under normal event and I always clear all motion detection squares.

Current setup under smart event, is sensitivity set at 80%
Percentage is greyed out as camera's have the latest firmware install.
Intrusion detection and line crossing enabled.
Liking action, trigger camera channel.

Under Storage.
Recording schedule set to event.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I set the recordings to Event but intrusion detection and line crossing, though enabled, apparently will not work without motion detection turned on even if the sensitivity is all the way up and percentage is at 1.
How do you know they are not working? You might simply be seeing motion detection only when it's enabled.
It may just be the way they have been configured that's causing them not to work..

A couple of ways to check :
The logs in the NVR will show any type of event trigger. So when you re-enable motion detection, do you see Line Crossing and Intrustion detection?
In the NVR, enabling 'Rules' in the web GUI 'System' menu will in Playback show the settings for Intrusion and Line Crossing detection, and show when they have been triggered.

JamesH

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you know they are not working? You might simply be seeing motion detection only when it's enabled.
It may just be the way they have been configured that's causing them not to work..

A couple of ways to check :
The logs in the NVR will show any type of event trigger. So when you re-enable motion detection, do you see Line Crossing and Intrustion detection?
In the NVR, enabling 'Rules' in the web GUI 'System' menu will in Playback show the settings for Intrusion and Line Crossing detection, and show when they have been triggered.
Well it turned out that I thought I had Notify Surveillance Center checked on the settings for the intrusion and line crossing, but I didn't :facepalm: I was expecting a notification to alert me that things were working properly since I don't have continuous recording set (yet).

Too bad these cameras don't support turning on recording when something like an intrusion occurs. I appreciate all the prompt help everyone gave this newbie. Ya'll are awesome.

BTW, what is "event" recording? What differentiates it from other the types of recordings?

Last edited:

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Too bad these cameras don't support turning on recording when something like an intrusion occurs.
They do support it, as that all I use.

Edit See attached PDF each detection triggers the NVR hard drive storage.
Guessing here that you have missed ticking a check box somewhere or not "Apply" the change.

Attachments

Last edited:

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought some Hikvision IP cameras and a Hikvision NVR
What models are they and firmware ver.

what is "event" recording? What differentiates it from other the types of recordings?
I was expecting a notification to alert me that things were working properly since I don't have continuous recording set (yet).
It’s any smart event that the camera supports.
Theses can included Face Detection, Vehicle, Line Crossing, Intrusion, Region Entrance, Region Exiting, Unattended Bags, Object Removal, Audio Exception, De focus, Sudden Scene Change, PIR Alarm.

NVR GUI
Under System /Smart Event, select correct camera channel.
Line Crossing / Intrusion can then be enabled.
Arming Schedule should be set to Continuous.

Under Linkage Action select what notification alert's you require.
Audible Warning /Send email etc. (Requires email to be setup and enabled)

Trigger Channel.
Tick the require Channel to record to the NVR hard Drive.
Click apply to save the settings.

Under Storage / Recording Schedule.
Select Event and set schedule for the hrs and days require.
Tick Enable Schedule box.
Select advanced for the Pre-Record and Post-Record parameters.
Don’t forget to apply the settings.

If set correctly this will trigger a NVR recording for each event and log the event.
The recording schedule can also the set as continuous. This way the NVR records continuously and places a red marker on the timeline for each event.

JamesH

n3wb
Reaction score
They do support it, as that all I use.

Edit See attached PDF each detection triggers the NVR hard drive storage.
Guessing here that you have missed ticking a check box somewhere or not "Apply" the change.
Yes I missed a couple of things. My NVR GUI looks different than what you have posted but I get the gist of it.

JamesH

n3wb
Reaction score
What models are they and firmware ver.

It’s any smart event that the camera supports.
Theses can included Face Detection, Vehicle, Line Crossing, Intrusion, Region Entrance, Region Exiting, Unattended Bags, Object Removal, Audio Exception, De focus, Sudden Scene Change, PIR Alarm.

NVR GUI
Under System /Smart Event, select correct camera channel.
Line Crossing / Intrusion can then be enabled.
Arming Schedule should be set to Continuous.

Under Linkage Action select what notification alert's you require.
Audible Warning /Send email etc. (Requires email to be setup and enabled)

Trigger Channel.
Tick the require Channel to record to the NVR hard Drive.
Click apply to save the settings.

Under Storage / Recording Schedule.
Select Event and set schedule for the hrs and days require.
Tick Enable Schedule box.
Select advanced for the Pre-Record and Post-Record parameters.
Don’t forget to apply the settings.

If set correctly this will trigger a NVR recording for each event and log the event.
The recording schedule can also the set as continuous. This way the NVR records continuously and places a red marker on the timeline for each event.
Thanks. I think I understand what I did wrong and it's working the way I want now. I haven't decided yet whether to just increase post-recording time or set continuous recording and look for events on the timeline when I get a notification. Other than that I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far.

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.
My NVR GUI looks different than what you have posted but I get the gist of it.
I have a NVR with 4.0 GUI. That's s why I asked what your NVR model was.

Last edited:

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got a second DS-2DF8236I-AEL. The first one is using "intrusion detection" which seems to be working ok.

The second one is setup with line crossing A->B.

Both cameras have motion turned off. Both don't have smart tracking enabled in the PTZ section. Bot have "smart tracking" selected as the "linking action" for intrusion detection and line crossing.

The line crossing seems completely broken. The line crossing is part way down my cul-de-sac. I want to tigger tracking on cars coming in but not trigger on them leaving, like say a neighbor pull out and drives over the line B->A.

So far it seems it just tracks anything that moves even if it never gets close to the line let alone only crossing the line a->b.

I'm about ready to give up and make it the same as the first camera which is only doing intrusion detection.

JamesH

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got a second DS-2DF8236I-AEL. The first one is using "intrusion detection" which seems to be working ok.

The second one is setup with line crossing A->B.

Both cameras have motion turned off. Both don't have smart tracking enabled in the PTZ section. Bot have "smart tracking" selected as the "linking action" for intrusion detection and line crossing.

The line crossing seems completely broken. The line crossing is part way down my cul-de-sac. I want to tigger tracking on cars coming in but not trigger on them leaving, like say a neighbor pull out and drives over the line B->A.

So far it seems it just tracks anything that moves even if it never gets close to the line let alone only crossing the line a->b.

I'm about ready to give up and make it the same as the first camera which is only doing intrusion detection.
Yikes that's an expensive camera! Don't have any advice but if you bought it from a Hikvision distributor they should be able to help you.