LPR Success - Police report from plate to find someone littering outside my house

Reaction score
Nextdoor used to have a section called Crime and Safety. That was where we would post video and pics of perps doing bad things in the neighborhood. Several months ago, about the time of the Floyd riots, they changed it to 'Safety' and dropped the 'Crime' part. I sent a message to them asking about it and they never responded. About a week later they stopped the local police agencies from posting mug shots.

They are based in San Francisco, so I guess they are 'woke'.
Full disclosure: I am a reviewer for flagged posts in my Nextdoor neighborhood. I was nominated and invited through some process that is still unclear to me, but I assume I had somehow built up some sort of karma from my numerous posts, images, and video of crimes along my street. I decided to accept the invitation because I was curious how the process worked.

Anyone on Nextdoor can flag a post, although I've noticed that some of the most common "flaggers" are also reviewers. You are asked to vote "Remove", "Consider Removing", or "Do Not Remove", and you can leave a note for your fellow reviewers explaining your reasoning behind your vote. As you might guess, this is an extremely subjective process. I've often voted "Do not remove" for posts that were flagged by some of our more "woke" residents.

So a few pointers to reduce the chances of your post being flagged:

(1) Don't use words like "thug" or "gangbanger". (I use "perp" or "perpetrator".) Also avoid any mention of race if that triggers neighbors, but do absolutely show the best images you can of them. No one can argue with a photo, and everyone will still know who to look out for.

(2) Be certain your images or video actually show a crime being committed or attempted, not just one or two people standing or walking down the street. "Walking while black" posts get removed pretty quickly.

(3) Put some video on Youtube, and add the link to your Nextdoor post, along with a text description of the crime. For some reason that seems to attract fewer flags than when the images are embedded in the Nextdoor post.

(4) Don't add inflammatory comments, e.g. "I hope the cops catch these guys and they rot in prison." Just describe the crime.

I've posted plenty of video of crimes along my street, along with license plates, and I've never had a post removed. But of course YMMV if many of your neighborhood reviewers are "woke".

Reaction score
Funnily enough, I'm also a reviewer!

I suspect some kind of community admin or something just flat out banned me, the post never got removed and then later I got banned, it was just right out of the blue
Some of the same people who founded Facebook also founded Nextdoor. It's the same hidden ban process without appeal in both platforms.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ill never use Nextdoor because their email unsubscribe doesn’t work. I’ve been trying to unsubscribe for two months. Their tech support keeps telling me they have a bug on their end and are working on it... I ended up adding them to my spam list.

Reaction score
I suspect some kind of community admin or something just flat out banned me, the post never got removed and then later I got banned, it was just right out of the blue
If you posted the Employee Clock Out paper, that could be the reason as it has a name on it. I doubt it was the plate post.

Or maybe Mr Mejia is a reviewer or admin on Nextdoor?

Reaction score
They replied

"Since you have the person's name and license plate and have given the police that info (combined with the fact that littering isn't a public safety issue), the post is in violation of our Guidelines"

Color me confused
That might be grounds for deleting the post, but suspending your account? You triggered some "woke" person, and you'll never know who it was, nor will you have any avenue for appeal.

Reaction score
You should get them to specify which guideline. It sounds like BS to me.
I can guess what guideline it violated: "Do not engage in harmful activity". Or possibly "Do not discriminate".

As you might guess, these particular guidelines are vague enough and general enough to be interpreted just about any way a Nextdoor admin desires.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man, if Nextdoor deemed stupidity by the posters a violation of their terms of service, that would wipe out 75% of the accounts in my area. ;)

I once pointed out a Ring cam users post, would not be good enough to ID a person, I was promptly told I was "mean'.
I didn't know I was still in Jr High.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Man, if Nextdoor deemed stupidity by the posters a violation of their terms of service, that would wipe out 75% of the accounts in my area. ;)

I once pointed out a Ring cam users post, would not be good enough to ID a person, I was promptly told I was "mean'.
I didn't know I was still in Jr High.
Maybe he just looked like this?

1609105758906.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience with Nextdoor is that it’s actually worse than Facebook, if that’s possible..

They should quit trying to be something they’re not and just call it “LostPetsBook” or “FacePetsLost” as that appears to be the one thing it’s useful for

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My experience with Nextdoor is that it’s actually worse than Facebook, if that’s possible..

They should quit trying to be something they’re not and just call it “LostPetsBook” or “FacePetsLost” as that appears to be the one thing it’s useful for
Yep, post something important, and get 1-2 replies. Post something trivial, and it will get replies for days....by the one's that never read the previous replies.

I have to stay off of it to keep my Blood Pressure in check. ;)