Lorex NR900 vs NR900X NVR

lucasCam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a kit from Lorex and one is using an NR900 and the other is a NR900X

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the differences are.

NR900X spec sheet: https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-nvr/NR900X/NR900X_Series_Specs_R1.pdf

NR900 spec sheet: https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-nvr/NR900-Series/NR900_Series_Specs_R3.pdf

The only differences I can find is that the UPC code isn't the same. Anyone have any insights?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a kit from Lorex and one is using an NR900 and the other is a NR900X

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the differences are.

NR900X spec sheet: https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-nvr/NR900X/NR900X_Series_Specs_R1.pdf

NR900 spec sheet: https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-nvr/NR900-Series/NR900_Series_Specs_R3.pdf

The only differences I can find is that the UPC code isn't the same. Anyone have any insights?
Welcome @lucasCam

Good question. IIRC there was a post on one of the threads showing a picture of the boards. The NR900X board looked a little neater, without one heat sink iirc. We know the older version a member was able to flash it with the Dahua OEM firmware. We do not know if that is possible with the newer NVR - hopefully so.

Otherwise I have not seen much.

I would recommend picking the kit with the better cameras - which probably would be included with the newer NR900X NVR.

lucasCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @lucasCam

Good question. IIRC there was a post on one of the threads showing a picture of the boards. The NR900X board looked a little neater, without one heat sink iirc. We know the older version a member was able to flash it with the Dahua OEM firmware. We do not know if that is possible with the newer NVR - hopefully so.

Otherwise I have not seen much.

I would recommend picking the kit with the better cameras - which probably would be included with the newer NR900X NVR.
Thanks @mat200. Surprisingly the X model is the cheaper kit. The cameras are not the marketed "Nocturnals" ones with optical zoom. That kit is almost 50%+ the price. Not sure I can justify that extra cost right now. I could throw some sensors on my lights and then that should trigger when someone does anything nefarious and flood the area with light.

BTW are you the same mat2000 on slick deals? Following the FXC33V thread pretty closely LOL :D

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200. Surprisingly the X model is the cheaper kit. The cameras are not the marketed "Nocturnals" ones with optical zoom. That kit is almost 50%+ the price. Not sure I can justify that extra cost right now. I could throw some sensors on my lights and then that should trigger when someone does anything nefarious and flood the area with light.

BTW are you the same mat2000 on slick deals? Following the FXC33V thread pretty closely LOL :D
Yes, the FXC33V has been interesting, thankfully Breakout911 has shared info on the rtsp feed! So I hope that makes a lot of people happy.

Which kits are you looking at?
( too bad you missed the earlier 25% off discount code )

lucasCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Which kits are you looking at?
( too bad you missed the earlier 25% off discount code )
NR900X without "Nocturnal" cameras - 4K Ultra HD IP 8 Channel NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 130FT Night Vision, 2TB Hard Drive

or

NR900 with "Nocturnal" cameras - 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K (8MP) IP Motorized Varifocal White Metal Cameras, 4x Optical Zoom Cameras, 250FT Night Vision

AFAIK both camera types are the same Sony sensor. The NR900 kit has cameras which have optical zoom. Leaning on the cheaper NR900X kit. What do you think?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NR900X without "Nocturnal" cameras - 4K Ultra HD IP 8 Channel NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 130FT Night Vision, 2TB Hard Drive

or

NR900 with "Nocturnal" cameras - 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K (8MP) IP Motorized Varifocal White Metal Cameras, 4x Optical Zoom Cameras, 250FT Night Vision

AFAIK both camera types are the same Sony sensor. The NR900 kit has cameras which have optical zoom. Leaning on the cheaper NR900X kit. What do you think?
Hi Lucas -

I would not recommend the kit with the older cameras considering the newer models are significantly better
4K Ultra HD IP 8 Channel NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 130FT Night Vision, 2TB Hard Drive
4KHDIP86
( LNB8111BW / or LNB8005B - depending on which text to believe - they have an older sensor model )

This kit has the "new" color of white cameras.. otherwise the cameras may just be the same as the black ones. ( as far as I can tell )
4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K (8MP) IP Motorized Varifocal White Metal Cameras, 4x Optical Zoom Cameras, 250FT Night Vision
4KHDIP86NVW
camera: LNB8963BW

Good to see Lorex has reduced the pricing on their "new white" cameras to match basically the same but in black cameras:
4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 6 Outdoor 4K (8MP) IP Motorized Zoom Lens Metal Cameras, 4x Optical Zoom Cameras, 250FT Night Vision
camera: LNB8973BW
Oh, and they state the kit comes with the NVR NR9082X ( you may want to call lorex and ask if the kit with the white cameras includes the newer NVR .. they may just not have updated the page.. still not certain what the difference is between the nvrs )
From the specs the black and white cameras appear to be the same.

For reference OnPoint is selling these varifocal Lorex black cameras for $152.45
https://www.amazon.com/Lorex-Motorized-Varifocal-Security-LNB8973BW/dp/B077V4Z9RL/

So 6x 153 = $918

Looks like the 15% discount would make one of those 6 varifocal camera kits = $1,087.99

OK - so before you make a final choice do take a look at some of the video captures here in the reviews.
The newer Lorex LNB9232 - should perform similar to the Dahua OEM IPC-HFW1831E ( there is also a varifocal version of this IPC-HFW28xx )
The varifocal lorex cameras should perform similar to the Dahua OEM IPC-HFW58xx - if you can not find a bullet review the turret version should do well also IPC-HDW58xx

Remember the Lorex kits strip out the IVS features from the Dahua OEM versions.

Feel free to take some time to see the reviews of cameras here as the Lorex 30% off already expired and I don't think the 15% off will expire right away. ( unless of course you're doing some sort of cash back deal which you need to jump on. )

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cam-man28

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at a new 4k nocturnal 4 cam lorex system.

The one system seems to have better cameras but has the non X version of the NVR.

Has anyone found out the differences between them? My main concern is fan noise as I've read complaints about the 9082. Is this still a concern or would the X version address this issue?

Thanks!