Looking for VMS software alternatives

Mickael

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if any of you guys know a VMS under the format of a OVA to deploy into VMware/etc or simply an ISO image to create a virtual machine on my server.

I am currently using NetCam Studio 1.7.0 (which is super easy btw, by far the most stable VMS I used) but it is hard on system ressources; Currently 8x 720p cameras connected to it and CPU usage is pretty high and I allocated 4 vCPU...

I have tried several linux alternatives but I didn't like them as I love Netcam Studio. Also tried Blue Iris but seems to be the same on CPU usage and didn't get the chance to try the D2D function as I was on the demo.

I tried Bluecherry ISO (2 different versions) but had log in issues, etc. Also tried C-Mor appliance which is the kind of thing that I am looking for, an OVA appliance to deploy into my VMware home lab ready to go and easy on ressources.

Finally I found the NVR from DAHUA NVR4108-4KS2 which is pretty cheap and seems to be a good alternative. I'm just scared it won't work with my Onvif cameras that I have right now. Chinese supplier say it will but will the built-in motion detect from the NVR work with my cameras? I would like to just try the software before buying the actual NVR so I can test it before buying :) I don't know what to think now.

I have everything on a custom server build with free ESXi 6.7 with a E3-1270 CPU (4c/8t) and I have the VMS virtual machine and also my PLEX virtual machine on this physical machine so CPU is pratically always at 80-90% with users on PLEX, 50% with PLEX off.

Thanks guys

Mickael

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
run blue iris on a dedicated 100 dollar i5-3570 machine with your load it will hover at 10 percent cpu or so. Your problem is solved. Why scratch your left ear with your right hand and go through all the trouble posted above.

Mickael

n3wb
Reaction score
run blue iris on a dedicated 100 dollar i5-3570 machine with your load it will hover at 10 percent cpu or so. Your problem is solved. Why scratch your left ear with your right hand and go through all the trouble posted above.
Hi Fenderman,

I understand your point, I was just trying to consolidate every machine on one machine to save on electricity bills (no, not really but heat is problematic with 3-4 machines always running lol). I can always retry configuring Blue Iris onto a separate machine to test the features, the main downside I had with BI is that I cannot try the mobile app which is one of the main feature I am looking for into a VMS, if mobile viewing is bad, too bad.

Also wondering if anybody had chances with a VMware appliance as I described.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman,

I understand your point, I was just trying to consolidate every machine on one machine to save on electricity bills (no, not really but heat is problematic with 3-4 machines always running lol). I can always retry configuring Blue Iris onto a separate machine to test the features, the main downside I had with BI is that I cannot try the mobile app which is one of the main feature I am looking for into a VMS, if mobile viewing is bad, too bad.

Also wondering if anybody had chances with a VMware appliance as I described.
I can tell you with certainty that the blueiris mobile app is better than any mobile app I've seen for any NVR or VMS... Furthermore you can use a mobile browser.. the cost of the mobile app is $10 which is nothing.